Heil Hitler dir! (Deutschland erwache aus deinem bösen Traum...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
D-General

Heil Hitler dir! (Deutschland erwache aus deinem bösen Traum...)

Post by D-General » 07 Jan 2022, 06:54

[Two topics dealing with the same song have been merged and renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Greetings everyone, I hope you are all having a nice day

I recently plugged in an old hard drive of mine and was searching through it when I found a particularly interesting recording. I recall downloading it many years ago when it was uploaded online. It's a recording of a choir singing "Heil Hitler dir." I also recall a separate recording of the same group singing "Auf, auf zum Kampf," but I haven't managed to come across that recording in a long time.

I'm curious as to who sang it and when it was recorded, perhaps someone can provide me with some information in regards to this particular recording. Attached below is a short sample from the said recording.

That'll be all, thank you everyone, and have an nice day

https://mega.nz/file/npcCWDYZ#mUOz7UdBm ... 0XMfg73wys
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."(Erwin Rommel)

Jerard Maiki

Re: Heil Hitler dir! (Deutschland erwache aus deinem bösen Traum...)

Post by Jerard Maiki » 09 Nov 2022, 21:41

Recently, surfing on the internet, I found some intersting information about existing versions of this song from this website: http://de.pluspedia.org/wiki/Heil_Hitler_dir

It uses as a source the old schellackforum, but since it doesn't exist anymore I am not sure about the truthfulness of these statements and I am here to ask you about it

From the website:
Existing versions of Heil Hitler Dir! :

⦁ Kapelle der OSAF-Ost; Dirigent: Musikzugführer Johannes Fuhsel; mit SA-Gesang; Berlin 1930; Artiphon Company; Nationale Ton-Platte 502; Matritze: 11764

⦁ „NSD“-Marschorchester; mit SA-Gesang; Berlin o. J. [1932-1935]; Hakenkreuz-Platte; Patria 156; Matrizen-Nr: To 273; Dauer: 2:23

⦁ Schalmeienkapelle „Horst Wessel“; Berlin 1932; Hakenkreuz-Platte; Bestell-Nr: 2017; Matrizen-Nr: (Tono) 2017; Dauer: 2:32

⦁ Traditionsmusikkorps der alten Armee; Dirigent: Hugo Eduard Riemann; mit SA-Gesang; Berlin 1932; Patria 502 * it's just an assumption!

⦁ Kapelle des S-Sturmbanns XII (SA-Untergruppe Berlin-Ost); Dirigent: Musikzugführer Martin Ewers; Gesang: Männerchor; Berlin 1933; Deutsche Crystalate GmbH; Kristall 2075; Matritze: C 4700

⦁ Kapelle des S-Sturmbanns XII (SA-Untergruppe Berlin-Ost); Dirigent: Musikzugführer Martin Ewers; Gesang: Rolf Sandor (Tenor) und Männerchor; Berlin 1933; Deutsche Grammophon AG; Matritze: C 1350 * that's a Bestell-Nr.

⦁ Musikkorps des III Bataillons des 9. (Preußischen) Infanterie-Regiments, Berlin-Spandau; Dirigent: Obermusikmeister Adolf Berdien; Berlin 1933; Electrola GmbH; Katalog-Nr: 60-2309; Bestell-Nr: EG 2826; Matrizen-Nr: OD 1578-1; Dauer: 2:40

⦁ Großes Blasorchester; Dirigent: Carl Woitschach; Gesang: Männerchor; Berlin Juni 1933; Telefunken-Platte GmbH; Telefunken A 1412; Matritze: 19168
[Errors marked in red by the host.]

With that in mind it is strange that only the Telefunken version is surfaced online so far. Does anybody have the labels of these records?
Is it possible to hear these recording somehow, even just a sample to compare with the Woitschach one?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 10 Nov 2022, 16:33

Hello, Jerard

All those records are extremely rare, including the only widely-known one (Woitschach's). And that recording became known mostly because one or two of its copies were reproduced over and over on various postwar albums. Note that the earlier arrangements of the song were quite bad and nothing like the bombastic version recorded by Woitschach (the new arrangement was made by W. Bräutigam). The info from the Schellack Collectors' Forum was correct, but it wasn't quoted correctly on the site you found it on. See the complete and updated info below.

Heil Hitler dir! (Sachsenmarsch der NSDAP)
Dedication: Adolf Hitler gewidmet 1927
Composer/Lyricist: Bruno C. Schestak

Vocal Group: ? (SA-Mitglieder)
Instrumental Group: Kapelle der OSAF-Ost
Conductor: Musikzugführer Johannes Fuhsel
Recording Date: 1930
Recording Location: Berlin
Record Company: Artiphon-Record, Berlin
Record: Nationale Ton-Platte 502; Sturm-Serie I 502
Matrix No: 11764
* the recording was Artiphon's, while the Nationale Ton-Platte label was produced by Nationaler Schallplatten-Dienst

Vocal Group: ? (SA-Mitglieder)
Instrumental Group: Blasorchester
Recording Date: ?
Record Company: ?
Record: Patria 156
Matrix No: To 273
* this recording was made between 1930 and 1932 by an anonymous brass band credited on the record label as "NSD-Marschorchester"; the "NSD" stands for "Nationaler Schallplatten-Dienst", the record company that released the track (the band, however, wasn't necessarily the company's house band; such designations on record labels were often pseudonyms for various bands); the Patria label was produced by NSD, but the recording itself was possibly made by Tonographie; the recorded arrangement was the same as in Fuhsel's 1930 version

Instrumental Group: Schalmeienkapelle "Horst Wessel"
Recording Date: 1932
Record Company: NS-Schallplatten-Industrie
Record: Hakenkreuz-Platte 2017
Matrix No: Tono 2017

Vocal Group: ?
Instrumental Group: Kapelle der SA-Gruppe Berlin-Brandenburg
Conductor: Musikzugführer Johannes Fuhsel
Recording Date: 1933
Record Company: NS-Schallplatten-Industrie
Record: Hakenkreuz-Platte 2047
Matrix No: ?

Vocalist: SS-Flieger Rolf Sandor
Vocal Group: Chor des SA-Sturms 3/12, Berlin
Instrumental Group: Kapelle des S. Sturmbanns 12, Berlin
Conductor: Musikzugführer Martin Ewers
Recording Location: Berlin, Lützowstraße 111-112
Record Company: Deutsche Grammophon AG, Berlin
Record: Grammophon 1 1350
Matrix No: ?
* arrangement by W. Bräutigam; a segment of this recording was also incorporated in Kurt Klawitter's phono-montage "Ein Reich ist uns entstanden", made for the same company in 1933 (released on Grammophon C 1473); the track can be found on the internet under the incorrect title "1933-12-20 - Deutscher Rundfunk (Kurt Klarwitter) - Ein Reich ist uns entstanden" (as already stated, it's not a radio recording)

Vocal Group: Männerchor
Instrumental Group: Kapelle des S. Sturmbanns 12, Berlin
Conductor: Musikzugführer Martin Ewers
Record Company: Deutsche Crystalate GmbH, Berlin-Reinickendorf
Record: Kristall 2075
Matrix No: C 4700
* arrangement likely the same as in the band's Grammophon recording (needs to be confirmed)

Instrumental Group: Musikkorps des III. Bataillons des 9. (Preußischen) Infanterie-Regiments, Berlin-Spandau
Conductor: Obermusikmeister Adolf Berdien
Recording Date: 28.04.1933
Record Company: Electrola GmbH, Berlin
Record: Electrola EG 2826
Catalogue No: 60-2309
Matrix No: OD 1578-1
* arrangement by W. Bräutigam

Vocal Group: Männerchor
Instrumental Group: Blasorchester Carl Woitschach, Berlin
Recording Date: 14.06.1933
Recording Location: Berlin, Sing-Akademie (Am Festungsgraben 2)
Record Company: Telefunken-Platte GmbH, Berlin
Record: Telefunken A 1412
Matrix No: 19168
* arrangement by W. Bräutigam

It is possible that the Traditionsmusikkorps der alten Armee under Hugo Eduard Riemann, with SA vocals, also recorded the song, in 1932. This assumption of mine (which was later incorrectly re-posted as a fact) was based on the following facts: Nationaler Schallplatten-Dienst released eight Fuhsel's Artiphon recordings from 1930 on its "Nationale Ton-Platte" label, numbers 501-504 (these were also released on the "Sturm-Serie I" flexible records). On each record, there was a vocal recording of a political song on one side and an instrumental recording of a military march on the other ("Heil Hitler dir!" was on record 502). When the company released its "Patria" versions of these records (also numbered 501-504), the track combinations and titles remained the same, but the recordings were replaced with new ones, from 1932. The instrumental tracks were re-made by Fuhsel's band and the vocal ones by Riemann's. Unfortunately, we currently have info only on existence of "Patria" versions 501, 503 and 504, still not knowing whether record 502 was also re-made and released, i.e. whether Riemann did make a version of "Heil Hitler dir!"

The version mentioned by member D-General is probably a radio recording made as part of the "Deutsche Mainacht der Hitlerjugend und des Bundes deutscher Mädel" (Harz, 30.04.1933). According to the original recording list, it was made by mixed vocals (many performers participated in the event). Duration: 1:25. Also recorded on this occasion was "Auf, auf zum Kampf!", which D-General mentioned as well (the radio recording list, however, doesn't specify whether it was sung by the same group of singers).

Cheers,
Ivan

Jerard Maiki

Post by Jerard Maiki » 10 Nov 2022, 22:19

First of all, thank you Ivan for fixing the format of my post and the info, I'm sorry if that did bother you.
Then, thank you very much for taking the time to provide me such a detailed answer, I didn't expect so much information about this song, you listed many interesing things.

I am familiar with the radio recording and the Kapelle der OSAF-Ost recording, about the latter one, even though it is not as good as the Woitschach recording, I think it remains an interesting recording where we can hear the 1, 3, and the 2 verse of the song too.

After listening the recording incorporated in the Kurt Klawitter's phono-montage I find it interesting that the melody in all these three recordings have a couple different note compared to the melody in the Woitschach recording.

I really hope to have the luck to hear the other versions as well in the future :D

Cheers,
Jerard

Return to “Music of the Reich”