Der Führer kommt! (Wenn die SS und die SA aufmarschiert...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Der Führer kommt! (Wenn die SS und die SA aufmarschiert...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 29 Jan 2023, 14:47

Most people interested in Third Reich music have heard of the song "Wenn die SS und die SA aufmarschiert", which was also one of the main themes of the bizarre Tinto Brass movie "Salon Kitty" (1976). As I wrote back in 2007, this song had another, today-forgotten title: "Der Führer kommt!" (The Führer is coming!), which was actually its primary title.

But why is there almost no info on such an apparently known song? Well, one must be aware that what may be known or popular in certain circles today wasn't necessarily as known back in the day. "Der Führer kommt!" a.k.a. "Wenn die SS und die SA aufmarschiert" was in fact an obscure song recorded only once, from a manuscript, and its score or lyrics were never published (as far as is known). The orchestral arrangement was made by the conductor who recorded the piece (Carl Woitschach).

These were the original track credits, published on the (Telefunken) record label, order number A 1527 (the reverse side was Seidel's "SA-Lieder-Potpourri", which was typically recorded in two parts, but was here presented in a short version):

Telefunken-A-1527.jpg
Telefunken-A-1527.jpg (104.33 KiB) Viewed 1918 times

Telefunken catalogues of 1936/1937 and 1938 reveal the title "Der Führer kommt!" as the song's primary title:

Telefunken 1936-1937 S-38.jpg
Telefunken 1936-1937 S-42+54.jpg
Telefunken 1938 S-258+259.jpg

Those familiar with F. K. Prieberg's extensive work (Handbuch Deutsche Musiker 1933-1945) will find info on this song particularly confusing. Even though he wrote that Rolf Hildebrandt was a pseudonym of popular composer Wilhelm Gabriel, he didn't list "Der Führer kommt!" nor "Wenn die SS und die SA aufmarschiert" as his works, but separately - one title under "Hildebrandt" and the other under "Hildebrandt, Rolf" (he obviously didn't realise or wasn't sure it was the same piece and author). According to his sources, Reichssender Leipzig broadcasted the song as "Der Führer kommt!" in 1935 (from a commercial record, i.e. Telefunken's). It would be interesting to find out whether the radio got this seldom-known title directly from the Telefunken company or if there was perhaps another version of the record label, with "Der Führer kommt!" printed on it (the original record is quite rare and not many surviving copies are known today). Also, the recording date Prieberg listed was incorrect.

Prieberg S-1891.jpg
Prieberg S-2974.jpg
Prieberg S-2975.jpg

In the Telefunken recording list compiled by Christian Zwarg (from the original lists), we can find the correct recording date and additional details. The "eigene Bearbeitung" (own arrangement) was a note they used back in the day to mark unique arrangements made by performers (conductors) or local arrangers. As we can see, the title "Der Führer kommt!" wasn't originally credited in the Telefunken recording list.

Zwarg S-87.jpg

Ivan

Schmeisser

Re: Der Führer kommt! (Wenn die SS und die SA aufmarschiert...)

Post by Schmeisser » 29 Jan 2023, 16:39

Thanks a lot for such a detailed analysis! :thumbsup:

Jerard Maiki

Post by Jerard Maiki » 31 Jan 2023, 15:25

Wow, I didn't know this song has another name, thank you for all these informations.

I remember hearing a part of this song in the Salon Kitty trailer, I was surprised, but I wish I didn't watch it.
For reference here is a piano theme made from this song for the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhCwfB2Pks

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 31 Jan 2023, 16:20

Cheers, Michail and Jerard.

And thanks for the link, Jerard - I always liked that crazy piano rendition of this crazy tune (very atypical for a German military song). The movie itself I watched only once, a long time ago, and also wished that I haven't :D I don't think I went through the whole thing though.

Return to “Music of the Reich”