Recommended reading on Third Reich music

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Wunschkonzert für die Wehrmacht

Post by Ivan Ž. » 21 Sep 2014 18:23

Wunschkonzert.jpg
[/size]
Heinz Goedecke; Wilhelm Krug
Wir beginnen das Wunschkonzert für die Wehrmacht
Nibelungen-Verlag GmbH, Berlin, 1940

A nice period book about the popular German war-time concert show, written by its creator, Goedecke. It has 225 pages, over 50 photos (including artists such as Wilhelm Strienz, Herms Niel, Otto Dobrindt, rarely seen Hanns Steinkopf, Barnabás von Géczy, Marika Rökk, Willy Fritsch, Zarah Leander and many other German celebrities of the time), several autographs and dedications by the performers, and many funny illustrations. A nicely captured spirit of Germany in the early stage of the war.

Ivan Ž.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alexander B.

Re: Recommended reading on Third Reich music

Post by Alexander B. » 21 Jan 2016 10:33

Ivan,

Do you know of any books specifically dealing in part or in whole with the issues of missing data on equalization curves for German produced records of the period? Or any medium for that matter? I have gone so far as to contact the original manufacturers who are of course unwilling as ever to help.(If I was a record company I wouldn't want to relive my days of producing brainwashing material either) I'm becoming worried I'm to begin my archiving experiments without proper data on EQ's. I've begun investing in the proper equipment to properly archive records (Cedar X series archive equipment, a specially modified SL-1200, ect) But need at least a starting point for the EQ information. You don't think the Deutsches Rundfunk Archive would be of much help to me, do you? Existing information I've found seems scattered and unreliable at best, non existent for many of the smaller companies. There are still 0 answers to my EQ sub-forum. Someone must know something about these EQ's? Any leads?

All the best
Alex

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 21 Jan 2016 12:49

Dear Alex,

I think you are trying to take this hobby to an unreachable, and most of all a really unnecessary level. I don't think anyone will be able to provide you the answers you seek, and will find your inquiry odd. It's been nearly a century since most of those recordings were made, and in many cases over a century. Also, so many info and material were lost in the bombings. No, indeed I don't think the DRA would be of much help to you either. Just: leave it be. Relax and enjoy the music and the records as you hear them :)

Cheers,
Ivan

Auceps

Mit klingendem Spiel

Post by Auceps » 14 Apr 2016 00:30

MitKlingendemSpiel.jpg
[/size]
Horst F. Zander (Hrsg.)
Mit klingendem Spiel
Insterburg 1919-1939
Eine ostpreußische Garnison zwischen den beiden Weltkriegen
Gollenberg Verlag, Seesen, 1981

The book contains various articles of various authors about Reichswehr and Wehrmacht troops of the town of Insterburg (now Chernyakhovsk, Russia), a few chapters are dedicated to the Musikkorps des Infanterie-Regiments 43 and Musikkorps der Fliegerhorstkommandantur Insterburg. Some photos of military and cavalry bands included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarshallJones1970

Re: Handbuch Deutsche Musiker 1933-1945

Post by MarshallJones1970 » 28 Mar 2017 13:39

Ivan Ž. wrote:Fred K. Prieberg
Handbuch Deutsche Musiker 1933-1945
Auprés des Zombry 2004
Hello Ivan.
Is this book available for purchase anywhere? It is no longer available at Amazon Germany.
References to a CD-Rom format appear during a Google search.
Regards,
M. Jones

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 28 Mar 2017 13:54

Hmm... Can't find anything at the moment unfortunately. There was (at least) one more purchase link, but it seems that it's inactive now. Hope the book will be available somewhere soon.

Ivan

MarshallJones1970

Post by MarshallJones1970 » 29 Mar 2017 01:03

Thanks for the info, Ivan. :D Only time will tell.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 10 Apr 2017 13:06

Several posts concerning the book "The Military Music & Bandsmen of Adolf Hitler's Third Reich 1933-1945" have been split-off into the older topic dealing with its author and his company.

Ivan

nellylemerle

Entartete Musik

Post by nellylemerle » 26 Aug 2017 17:30

EntarteteMusik.jpg
[/size]
Elise Petit; Bruno Giner
Entartete Musik
Musiques interdites sous le IIIe Reich
Bleu nuit éditeur, Paris, 2015

For those who read French, this book was published in 2015. Elise Petit and Bruno Giner wrote it for "grand public", i.e music amateurs with an interest in music in the Third Reich. It has a lot of illustrations.
From what I remember, chapter 1 is about music in the Weimar Republic, chapter 2 about the rise to power. They then have chapters on "degerate music", speaking also about the exhibit "Entartete Musik" in Düsseldorf (1938). One chapter is about the "official" musics, notably Wagner, Beethoven, Orff. The last chapter is a set of biographies of musicians who were victims of the regime.

A must have for French-readers who want an easy-reading panorama on the subject

tristanbrown

Post by tristanbrown » 10 May 2019 11:13

The Twisted Muse: Musicians and Their Music in the Third Reich

sorry I can't attached picture succesfully

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 16 Jun 2019 10:19

tristanbrown wrote:
10 May 2019 11:13
The Twisted Muse: Musicians and Their Music in the Third Reich
Hello, tristanbrown. Please read the topic's initial post:
Marcus wrote:
21 Jun 2007 17:24
The idea of this sticky is to collect recommandations on good books dealing with Third Reich music.

Please post the title, author and a short (or long) explenation as to why you feel that particular title deserves to be included.
Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”