German military inspection music

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
sylvieK4

German military inspection music

Post by sylvieK4 » 22 Dec 2002 16:36

Does anyone know the name of a band march that was usually played for high ranking people, such as the Kaiser? There is a particular German march - a parade-type pomp - that was often played in the presence of the Kaiser, and other German leaders after the First World War, but I don't know the title of it. :cry:

I have heard it played in movies and German newsreel films featuring Kaiser Wilhelm II, and later Hitler. In the USA, bands play "Hail to the Chief" when the US President arrives somewhere. Although a completely different tune, it seems to have been used in the same way: a special parade pomp for the leader.

If you know which tune I mean, please help.

[Two topics dealing with the same subject have been merged and renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » 23 Dec 2002 01:02

Perhaps it is Preussens Gloria? It was used during World War One as well as World War Two. Type it in a search engine and let me know if I'm right. Regards

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 23 Dec 2002 18:54

Thank you, Kingsley, for your reply. I checked on line and found a brief sound sample of "Preussens Gloria, but that was not the march I was looking for. :( While I was looking, I checked several other German marches, but am not having any luck to find it, yet.

If anyone you or anyone else have any other suggestions as to what it might be, please let me know.

Thanks again. :)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » 24 Dec 2002 03:34

Do you have any examples? Like was it used in any scenes in any particular movies or documentaries?

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 24 Dec 2002 14:47

One that comes to mind is the 1979 version of "All Quiet On the Western Front" (with Richard Thomas as Paul Baumer. Color, made for tv, but now on video). There is a scene where the Kaiser awards soldiers with the Iron Cross (Himmelstoss no less, in that version). When the Kaiser arrives, the tune is played.

I will try to think of other films the march is in.

WhiskyAlpha

Post by WhiskyAlpha » 27 Apr 2003 01:01

Hi,
Maybe: "Heil Dir im Siegerkranz...."

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 27 Apr 2003 12:48

Hi, WhiskeyAlpha. I checked that online. Unfortunately that isn't the one I was looking for either. :cry: (It was interesting to hear, though. I am most familiar with that tune as "God Save the Queen" for Britain, and "My Country Tis Of Thee" in the USA. :) )

The tune I had in mind is more of a pomp - a march - without lyrics.

Thank you for your post.

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Post by Glenn2438 » 27 Apr 2003 15:35

The "Preußischer Präsentiermarsch" may well be the tune you are looking for by King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia. If you check the Prussian Military History Site at http://www.grosser-generalstab.de/ then click on "inhalt", select "Die Deutschen Regimenter bis 1914" and then finally select "2. Oberrheinisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 99" there is a version available there.

Regards
Glenn

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 27 Apr 2003 19:33

Thank you, Glenn! :D That is the tune I was looking for!

Otto von Bismarck

Post by Otto von Bismarck » 14 Jun 2003 19:19

I would like to tell you... I have multiple, very good versions of the Preußischer Präsentiermarsch... both old and new recordings.

It is a very good march... it was composed in 1817 by König Friedrich Wilhelm III... and labeled as "Präsentiermarsch AM I, 1a" in the Prussian March Catalogue... if you would like any of my versions, just contact me on AOL-Instant Messanger sometime "Bismarck1984"

Best Regards

Panzermahn

Deutschlandlied played during troop reviews?

Post by Panzermahn » 31 Aug 2019 09:00

Hi all,

Is it common back in the 1920s and 1930s where the German national anthem (Deutschlandlied) were played during troop reviews?

For example in the youtube video below, from 0:40 to 0:48 the German national anthem were played when Reichpräsident von Hindenburg were reviewing the troops

Another question is it common to played the national anthem together with a second accompanying melody from the fife and drums (played by the Spielmannszug)

Same scenario below at the second youtube video from 0:41 to 1:20

Sheldrake

Re: Deutschlandlied played during troop reviews?

Post by Sheldrake » 31 Aug 2019 16:08

Why not? It was the National Anthem from 1922-1945. The words were an appeal for a united democratic Germany, bizarrely written on a holiday to an English territory in the middle of the North Sea - Heligoland. The tune is Hayden's Kaiser Anthem to the KuK monarch. It has revlutionary connotations which si why Nico dedicated her version to Andreas Baader. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7OtusXPnAc

The Prussian monarchy adopted Heil dir im Siegerkranz as their Kaiser hymn, but it wasn't popular throughout all the Gwerman states and much less so during WW1 for obvious reasons . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFFnw2-T48ss

E.g my theory about the Langemarck myth is that the Deutschlandlied was sung to avoid friendly fire incidents by scared under trained soldiers. You can understand why they did not sing Heil dir im Siegerkranz. The little bit of fife music is a sort of intermission music in between different marches. If you search around this forum you will find its title.

Xavier
Financial supporter

Re: German military inspection music

Post by Xavier » 31 Aug 2019 17:39

As a sidenote, Preußens Gloria is still being played at official events , just a few weeks ago >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkUP8hXa-Rg

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 01 Sep 2019 11:43

Hello to all,

When the head of state inspected the troops, a presentation march (Präsentiermarsch) and the national anthem (Nationalhymne) were played. The most commonly played presentation march was the "Präsentiermarsch" by Friedrich Wilhelm III.
PM+DL.jpg
(This combination can be also heard in the Hindenburg videos posted by Panzermahn.)

However, the presentation march differed depending on the military branch. For example, during inspections of navy troops, the national anthem was combined with a navy presentation march, that is, with Rauscher's "Mars voor de gewone pas nr. 1".

Read more in "Paradestück Militärmusik" (eds. Peter Moormann, Albrecht Riethmüller, Rebecca Wolf), pp. 29-30
p29a.jpg
p29b.jpg
p30.jpg
In addition, here's a rare example of the Stahlhelm inspection music; this time the national anthem was combined with a Stahlhelm presentation march, that is, with "Marsch des Regiments Jung-Bornstedt" - AM II, 222. The organisation also used the other regimental march - AM I, 74 - as a presentation march.
Stahlhelm.jpg
Cheers,
Ivan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 01 Sep 2019 17:04

Ivan

Many thanks again for your wonderful info. I would have thought when the Deutschlandlied were played, everyone would have stood still rather than there were movements. But it seems from the information you had provided the German national anthem together with the Praesentiermarsch (depending on the branch of service) it commonly played together when the Kaiser or Reichpraesident were reviewing the troops.

PZM

Return to “Music of the Reich”