78 rpm record reviews (military music)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 19 Sep 2015 08:28

The infos have been added now finally (this took longer than I expected). I think I spent most time looking for the title "Ist es denn nun wirklich wahr" (refrain "Rummsvidibums..."), for Krome's "Schön ist das Soldatenleben" (by the way, the Kristall and Grammophon versions don't have this song, and both end with "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuß"). As I already wrote, great records - and, Alex, the label scans indeed look much better than their photographs. Radiofunken/Radiodisque copies are especially interesting. Two of my (many) favourite recordings have been presented now, and those are the aforementioned Kissel's arrangement of "Volk, an's Gewehr!" posted by Alex and the vocal version of "Franz Seldte!" posted by F. Truly excellent recordings, perfectly arranged and performed, which I've listened to numerous times (Kissel's is by no means perfect musically, but the imperfection suits here perfectly; as I wrote: The grimmest recording of the III Reich; I'm surprised the war documentary makers haven't discovered it already and used for the "downfall" scenes).

Cheers,
Ivan

Auceps

Re: Grammophon E 11613

Post by Auceps » 16 Oct 2015 15:40

Ivan Ž. wrote:
nophoto.jpg
[/size]Waldo Favré
Born: 22.04.1895 Санкт-Петербург
Died: 01.12.1963 Berlin
Sorry, Ivan, if the post is irrelevant to the records topic: Here you can find the photo of Waldo Favre:
http://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plugi ... .php?32947

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 16 Oct 2015 17:11

Excellent and nothing to be sorry about, thank you very much. The guys at the Grammophon forum are more and more wonderfully contributing to the history of music!

Cheers,
Ivan

Auceps

Post by Auceps » 16 Oct 2015 20:56

In that case you're welcome! :)

Alexander B.

Re:

Post by Alexander B. » 18 Oct 2015 23:03

Its great to see so much activity in the music section. This past week I've seen more posts than I have in the past 2 months combined!

Alexander B.

Untitled [H-50000/H-50001]

Post by Alexander B. » 27 Oct 2015 22:33

I'm still writing my review for the records I got this shipment (there are many) but I do have a request for assistance on one very odd looking record that I received.

I really don't know where to start with this one, its very plain, and aside from the rights society marking and matrix numbers printed on the label there are no indicators as to where this materialized from. Anyone more experienced than me know what the heck this thing is? Its a standard 25cm shellac disc.

Cheers
Alex

untitled-H-50000-50001.jpg
[/size]
Ivan Ž. wrote:
Horst-Wessel-Marsch
Composer: C. Hager
Trio: Horst-Wessel-Lied (Die Fahne hoch!)/ Melody: ?/ Composer: Anonym/ Lyricist: Horst Wessel
Musical Group: Blasorchester
Recording Date: 1932/1933
Recording Location: ?
Record Company: ?

Intro: Parademarsch der Spielleute [Anonym], Lockmarsch [Anonym]

Hohenfriedberger Marsch [AM I, 1c] [AM III, 1b]
Composer: Anonym
Musical Group: Blasorchester
Recording Date: 1932/1933
Recording Location: ?
Record Company: ?

Intro: Parademarsch der Spielleute [Anonym], Lockmarsch [Anonym]

* C. Hager = Franz Pollak
[Discographical info added by the host, Ivan Ž.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fallersleben

Re: Untitled [H-50000/H-50001]

Post by Fallersleben » 12 Nov 2015 13:00

I can't remember having ever seen this label style (no markings under the labels?). Matrix numbers 50000+ I know from Telefunken (promotion and commercial records). You should compare the recordings with other versions from your collection and other serious sources to find out the performer. Record seems to be a rare find!

Alexander B.

Post by Alexander B. » 15 Nov 2015 21:34

Fallersleben wrote:I can't remember having ever seen this label style (no markings under the labels?). Matrix numbers 50000+ I know from Telefunken (promotion and commercial records). You should compare the recordings with other versions from your collection and other serious sources to find out the performer. Record seems to be a rare find!
I've checked everywhere on it, absolutely nothing besides that high matrix number pressed into the shellac on both sides, but each prefaced with the letter "H". Also there's some raised circles on each side in-front of the matrix numbers, however they simply seem to be part of the molding process. I'll attach some scans.

H-50000.jpg
H-50001.jpg
[/size]
Ivan and I have discussed it and another recording of the same "Horst Wessel Marsch" appeared on the "Swastika and Oak leaves" records from Kristall, although on the S.a.O.L label it is wrongly credited as Mr. Bajer's piece, while it is actually another recording of the C. Hager (Franz Pollak) piece that I have on this interesting white label disc. Bajer also had a different piece by the same name and that is where the confusion originates. You can all thank Ivan for that great information! Perhaps if someone has a verified recording of the Swastika and Oak Leaves version we could compare them and see perhaps if this is a variant of the same pressing or indeed a totally different recording?

Also, forgive me but does H. Bajer = Ltg. Hans Bajer ?

Regards
Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alexander B.

Deutsche Musik 2001

Post by Alexander B. » 11 Dec 2015 04:44

Here is a "Deutsche Musik" flexible record from my collection.

Rather beat up and cracking in the middle, but the content on it sounds surprisingly good for coming off an early flexible record (especially in the condition that is in)

Deutsche-Musik-2001.jpg
[/size]
Ivan Ž. wrote:
Horst-Wessel-Lied (Die Fahne hoch!)
Melody: ?/ Composer: Anonym
Lyricist: Horst Wessel
Vocal Group: ?
Musical Group: Kapelle der SA-Standarte 119, Stuttgart
Conductor: Kapellmeister Willi Franz
Recording Date: ?
Recording Location: Stuttgart
Record Company: Electromusik GmbH, Vaihingen a. F.

Frei weg! [Marsch]
Composer: Carl Latann
Musical Group: Kapelle der SA-Standarte 119, Stuttgart
Conductor: Kapellmeister Willi Franz
Recording Date: ?
Recording Location: Stuttgart
Record Company: Electromusik GmbH, Vaihingen a. F.

Alexander B.

Grammophon E 11756

Post by Alexander B. » 20 Dec 2015 05:30

A rather uncommon record with relatively unremembered content from Herms Niel, with lyrics for "Horrido!" written by Heinrich Anacker. Both pieces here are performed with great enthusiasm; the "Horrido!" refrain has great bravado behind it and "Schneidig ist die Infantrie!" has a great fast paced rhythm that is actually rather simple musically but sounds very complex and pleasing to the ear. Both were released in 1942.

Grammophon-E-11756.jpg
[/size]
Ivan Ž. wrote:
Horrido! [Marschlied]
Composer: Prof. Herms Niel
Lyricist: Heinrich Anacker
Arranger: Erich Gutzeit
Vocal Group: Männerchor
Musical Group: Reichsmusikzug des Reichsarbeitsdienstes, Potsdam-Golm
Conductor: Hauptmusikzugführer Prof. Herms Niel
Recording Date: 09.05.1942
Recording Location: Berlin, Central-Theater (Alte Jakobstraße 30-32)
Record Company: Deutsche Grammophon GmbH, Berlin

Schneidig ist die Infantrie! [Marsch und Lied]
Composer/Lyricist: Prof. Herms Niel
Vocal Group: Männerchor
Musical Group: Reichsmusikzug des Reichsarbeitsdienstes, Potsdam-Golm
Conductor: Hauptmusikzugführer Prof. Herms Niel
Recording Date: 09.05.1942
Recording Location: Berlin, Central-Theater (Alte Jakobstraße 30-32)
Record Company: Deutsche Grammophon GmbH, Berlin

Fallersleben

Re: Grammophon E 11756

Post by Fallersleben » 20 Dec 2015 12:45

Nice record! I have the Grammophon 11732, Horrido! coupled with Marsch der Sturmartillerie.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Grammophon E 11756

Post by Ivan Ž. » 20 Dec 2015 15:43

A very nice record indeed! :)

Cheers,
Ivan

Alexander B.

Odeon O-26510

Post by Alexander B. » 20 Dec 2015 20:56

Fallersleben wrote:Nice record! I have the Grammophon 11732, Horrido! coupled with Marsch der Sturmartillerie.
Very lucky man! I can't say I want any more copies of "Horrido!" but that "Marsch der Sturmartillerie" is definitely high on my want list.

The only unit type specific song that competes with the "Marsch der Sturmartillerie" for me is "Nach vorn!" Not quite as marchy as the "Marsch der Sturmartillerie" but definitely a rather original song and it has always been one of my favorites. on the other side "Laßt wehen die Fahnen" is also well performed and based on the original Italian "Inno dell'Asse" (Anthem of the Axis) although it shares no common lyrical message from my extremely limited understanding of Italian and I don't really care much for it personally.

Odeon-O-26510.jpg
[/size]
Ivan Ž. wrote:
Laßt wehen die Fahnen [Achsenlied]
Melody: Inno dell'Asse/ Composer: G. Nino Iviglia
Lyricist: Hans Martin Cremer
Arranger: Max Villinger
Musical/Vocal Group: Musikkorps und Soldatenchor der leichten Flak-Abteilung 75, München
Conductor: Musikmeister Victor Heidersberger
Recording Date: 02.09.1941
Recording Location: Berlin, Carl Lindström AG (Schlesische Straße 26-27), Raum II
Record Company: Carl Lindström AG, Berlin

Nach vorn! [Marsch der Munitions-Kolonne]
Composer/Lyricist: Robert H. Bork
Musical/Vocal Group: Musikkorps und Soldatenchor der leichten Flak-Abteilung 75, München
Conductor: Musikmeister Victor Heidersberger
Recording Date: 02.09.1941
Recording Location: Berlin, Carl Lindström AG (Schlesische Straße 26-27), Raum II

Fallersleben

Post by Fallersleben » 18 Feb 2016 10:17

Alexander B. wrote:Perhaps if someone has a verified recording of the Swastika and Oak Leaves version we could compare them and see perhaps if this is a variant of the same pressing or indeed a totally different recording?
R133.jpg
[/size]
Hakenkreuz & Eichenlaub Nr. 3
Horst-Wessel-Marsch (Hager) (mx R 133)
Standarten-Kapelle 2 der SA der NSDAP
Leitung: R. Mentzel

Download sample

Alexander B.

Gloria GO-10795

Post by Alexander B. » 26 Feb 2016 09:28

Interesting, thanks for sharing a sample of yours! I think they definitely must be two different recordings. Perhaps it may be one of those commercial Telefunken recordings afterall? I admit I hadn't even heard of such a thing before.

A new box of records came this week. Although there's a few I'm really excited about, I think the most interesting one out of this lot is a rather fresh looking copy of Gloria GO-10795. Both performances are by the Musikzug of the SA Standarte 9, with vocals by S. Trupp 13/13. Exactly which "Standarte 9" the performance is by is not extremely clear, although in "Kameraden, laßt erschallen" the ending line of the first and second stanzas sounds to me to be "Ja, wir sind die Hitlerleute von der SA-Berlin". I believe this record was released or at least recorded sometime during 1933 (based on catalog number) and before October 23rd (based on probable performer), as if it is the SA Standarte 9 of Untergruppe Berlin-West, they were absorbed into the new SA Brigade 30 along with the rest of their Untergruppe officially on October 23rd. I was able to turn up very little on Rudolf Brühl, a small number of other recordings but no biographical information. I can't say the vocals on this one are anything to write home about! :lol:

Cheers
Alex

Gloria-GO-10795.jpg
[/size]
Ivan Ž. wrote:
Schlesierlied (Kehr’ ich einst zur Heimat wieder)
Composer/Lyricist: Anonym
Vocal Group: Chor des S. Trupps 13/13, Berlin
Musical Group: Musikzug der SA-Standarte 9, Berlin
Conductor: Musikzugführer Rudolf Brühl
Recording Date: 08.05.1933
Recording Location: Berlin, Carl Lindström AG (Schlesische Straße 26-27), Raum IV

Kameraden, laßt erschallen
Melody/Lyrics: Kaiserjägerlied/ Composer/Lyricist: Max Depolo
Arranger [Lyrics]: Horst Wessel
Vocal Group: Chor des S. Trupps 13/13, Berlin
Musical Group: Musikzug der SA-Standarte 9, Berlin
Conductor: Musikzugführer Rudolf Brühl
Recording Date: 08.05.1933
Recording Location: Berlin, Carl Lindström AG (Schlesische Straße 26-27), Raum IV

Return to “Music of the Reich”