78 rpm record reviews (military music)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: 78 rpm record reviews [military music]

Post by Ivan Ž. » 11 Nov 2016 12:35

Discographical info has been added for the records posted on the last page as well (finally).
Alexander B. wrote:Both performances are by the Musikzug of the SA Standarte 9, with vocals by S. Trupp 13/13. Exactly which "Standarte 9" the performance is by is not extremely clear [...] if it is the SA Standarte 9 of Untergruppe Berlin-West [...]
Yes, it is a Standarte of Untergruppe Berlin-West.

Chor des S. Trupps 13/13 = Chor des Selbständigen Trupps 13 des Selbständigen Sturmbanns 13
(Selbständiger Sturmbann 13 was the name of SA-Standarte 13 at that time; it was part of Untergruppe Berlin-Süd)

Cheers,
Ivan

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Hakenkreuz & Eichenlaub 6

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Apr 2017 12:58

Ivan Ž. wrote:Faschistenmarsch (In dem Kampfe um die Heimat)
Melody: Giovinezza/ Composer: Giuseppe Blanc
Lyricist: Edgar Poelchau
Musical Group: Blasorchester Carl Woitschach, Berlin
Recording Date: 1933
Recording Location: Berlin
Record Company: Deutsche Crystalate GmbH, Berlin-Reinickendorf
Notice that this particular (probably the best known) arrangement of the Italian fascist anthem "Giovinezza" [meaning: Youth] begins with the melody of the famous international youth song "Gaudeamus igitur" [So let us rejoice]. The arrangement was played in both Italy and Germany (unfortunately, I still didn't manage to discover what was the name of the arranger)

Ivan

Teppeny

Telefunken A 1537

Post by Teppeny » 27 Jul 2018 18:23

Hello, I just own this 78 RPM, I don't know if it's a real one, it's my first 78rpm ever. Here are the pictures
Telefunken-A-1537.jpg
Ivan Ž. wrote:
Lisa (Des Morgens um halb viere)
Composer/Lyricist: Anonym
Arranger: Carl Woitschach
Vocal Group: Chor des SA-Sturms 33/1, Berlin
Recording Date: 26.10.1933
Recording Location: Berlin, Sing-Akademie (Unter den Linden 5)
Record Company: Telefunken-Platte GmbH, Berlin

Mein Nam’ ist Annemarie (Mein Regiment, mein Heimatland)
Composer/Lyricist: Anonym
Arranger: Carl Woitschach
Vocal Group: Chor des SA-Sturms 33/1, Berlin
Recording Date: 01.11.1933
Recording Location: Berlin, Sing-Akademie (Unter den Linden 5)
Record Company: Telefunken-Platte GmbH, Berlin
[Discographical info added by the host, Ivan Ž.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Telefunken A 1537

Post by Ivan Ž. » 27 Jul 2018 21:48

Hello again,

It's a real one and a nice one too. Congratulations on your first 78 rpm record! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Ivan

Teppeny

Re: Re:

Post by Teppeny » 27 Aug 2018 14:48

Ivan Ž. wrote:
01 Jun 2015 14:03
Telefunken wrote:Back on the subject of "SA marschiert", does anyone have any label scans?
Here are examples of some of the recordings of the full song and of various arrangements of the song, from SCF collectors. Of course, even more recordings were made, this is not all.
Hello, Is there any recording on the internet of "Im Schlesierland marschieren wir" ?

Best regards,
Teppeny

Alexander B.

Re: 78 rpm record reviews (military music)

Post by Alexander B. » 20 Mar 2019 12:28

Hello everyone,

Long time-no see! I've missed talking to you all! My collection continues to grow, although I haven't been very good at sharing most of it-there's simply too much and not enough time; but, I think its time for some more forum posts! I've been living in Germany and have been able to source quite a few amazing finds.

We'll start my return with this lovely pressing of Kristall 2165

"Das Afrikakorps" is a march by Herms Niel, which I was surprised to see did not get lyrics from Anacker; but, instead lyrics by Hans Flocken.

The song describes the work of the Afrika Korps, fighting valiantly with vehicles and infantry day and night against the "Tommy" to bring down his empire and win victory for Germany in the wilds of Africa.
(I've done my best to translate the original lyrics, translation available in the subtitles of the restoration)

As with many other recordings from this series by the Musikkorps des Luftnachrichten-Regiment des Oberbefehlshabers der Luftwaffe under Obermusikmeister E. Klesant, the song is performed with great enthusiasm and energy and well recorded by the engineers. What else could I say about it? Its an amazing performance

"Schneidig ist die Infanterie!" on side B, another title by Herms Niel, is another amazing gem from the same performers and director as side A. Here its performed with the same great enthusiasm that Herms Niel and his own R.A.D. band gave it. It really is hard to choose which one I prefer. This recording is lacking the lead out that the original rendition by the R.A.D. has, which is a sleight disappointment; but, I still find it a wonderful alternative to the original and sometimes wonder if its not my preferred version!

It seems Kristall delivers again!

Until next time!
Alex

Teppeny

Re: 78 rpm record reviews (military music)

Post by Teppeny » 21 Mar 2019 17:44

Amazing recordings Alexander !

Return to “Music of the Reich”