Modern recordings/use of the Third Reich music

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
DarExc
Financial supporter

Modern recordings/use of the Third Reich music

Post by DarExc » 03 Jan 2003 01:52

Does anyone know which, if any, marches and tunes are still in use in the Germany bundeswehr today? Marches like Erika, Funkerlied and lets not forget the Panzerlied as they have no political ties, heck there are tons, Im sure I've heard a new version of Westerwald too.

[Several topics dealing with the same question have been merged and renamed. Ivan Ž.]

Schafer

Post by Schafer » 03 Jan 2003 02:18

A lot of the 'non-political' songs were written prior to the nazi era and that's the reason why they have stood the test of time. A large number were written during the 18th & 19th centuries (e.g. 'Ein Heller und ein Batzen', Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuss' etc ) and are still sung in bierkellers today.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » 03 Jan 2003 03:12

I actually have a MP3 of the Bundeswehr singing "Wenn die Soldaten" so I take it that was written before the Nazi era.

DarExc
Financial supporter

Post by DarExc » 03 Jan 2003 03:22

I would love to hear the bundeswehr version of Wenn die Soldaten, my email is cauley@starfighters.com if you wouldn't mind sending it along =)

Tancred

Post by Tancred » 04 Jan 2003 00:55

Can somebody please post websites which offer German marching songs sung by modern bands - thanks.

DarExc
Financial supporter

Post by DarExc » 04 Jan 2003 11:34

Yes that would be nice if such a site exists?

T Glaeser

Post by T Glaeser » 04 Jan 2003 11:56

ohh..geeez..i had and visited this one webpage that had anthems and marches for each of the countries involved during World War 2..i cant seem to find it. But the German march enthems were great...very powerful.

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » 04 Jan 2003 13:06

Hi Forum,
I have been interested in German WW2 military music for over thirty years and my collection includes original music sheets and several original gramophone records that I still play!
I have started collecting MP3 versions of the songs through sites on the net, and although not complete, I have over 150 at the moment.
I would love to chat and exchange info with anyone interested in Third Reich music, my e-mail address is Bill-Beate@t-online.de

Regards,Bill.

John W
Financial supporter

Post by John W » 05 Jan 2003 07:32

Didn't the Germans have to change "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" or give it up all together?

DarExc
Financial supporter

Post by DarExc » 05 Jan 2003 09:19

Correct, there is no more Deutschland über alles. Please do get these stunes posted

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 05 Jan 2003 09:28

I thought 'Deutschland über alles' was still the national anthem? infact I assumed it wasnt, but germans online assured me it was still used as the anthem and convinced me otherwise...

...???

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » 05 Jan 2003 13:31

The national anthem (Deutschland über alles) was banned in 1945, and the post war German government just managed to keep it, although only the third verse was allowed. The problem lies with the translation of "über alles" or "above all", it was meant in a peaceful sense, like love your country above all else, but the Allied Leaders mistook it for the military meaning, Germany above all, and smash the others! Well, "Deutschland über alles" can be obtained on CD in Germany at long last after almost 60 years. It is interesting to note that the Badenweiler March was banned in the Bundeswehr because it was Hitlers favorite march, although the Fire Service (Feuerwehr) were still allowed to play it. I know former members of the Bundeswehr who told me they have sung the old wartime songs, but only behind closed doors and in private. I have heard Bundeswehr soldiers singing the Fallschirmjägerlied. A youth group that sung old Hitler Jugend songs called "Wiking Jugend e.v." I believe has been banned? German Military music and marching songs is my favorite hobby, and when I see the Bundeswehr march past with drums beating and the Schellenbaum, it makes me feel so proud.
Regards,Bill.

Schellenbaum.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lustmolch

Post by Lustmolch » 29 Jan 2004 17:54

Do the paratroopers still have "Rot schein't die Sonne" in their song books?

I would have thought that "Lili Marleen" was exempt from any Nazi association, given its popularity with both sides in the Western Desert.

Gyenes

Post by Gyenes » 30 Jan 2004 00:34

That is intresting. Are there many other popular songs from the WW2-era still sung. Though the verses might have been changed?

stg44

Post by stg44 » 17 Apr 2005 18:05

Greetings all...

I was curious to know if any modern performances of music that was popular during the 1930s-1940s has been recorded?

I was able to come across 2 copies of such recordings...the first was the Königgratzer Marsch, I believe this may have come from a soundtrack CD. Was not this music used in Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade? Perhaps that is where this piece comes from.

The other one I listened to was a recording of Deutschland über Alles (orchestral only, no vocals) that sounded very beautiful. Crystal clear CD quality in stereo. I have no idea where this one came from.

I realize that such recordings are probably extremely taboo, but if these 2 have been recorded, perhaps others have...?

Return to “Music of the Reich”