Music of the Condor Legion

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Lied der "Legion Condor"

Post by Ivan Ž. » 23 May 2021, 11:57

guillermomq wrote:
22 May 2021, 00:52
Hi. I am working about Legion Condor and i want to know if there are more information, sources or references about the composition or creation of the original song "Lied der Legion Condor". I understand that the song was recorded and published in 1939, but i assume it was compounded before. My question is: is it posible that the soldiers of the A/88 sang this song in september 1937 in the battle of Asturias? It could exist some sources that could corroborate or overrade this theory? Thank you very much. Your post have helped me a lot.
Hello and :welcome:

Yes, it's possible that it was created before 1939. However, all currently known sources mention only 1939, when the song was incorporated into the Bögelsack's march, recorded and published. No further info on the creation of the song, unfortunately.

Do share the reason for suspecting that it might have been composed before 1939 (which I find very plausible as well).

Cheers,
Ivan

PS
If needed, some additional info on the creation of the Bombenflieger song/march can be found here viewtopic.php?f=81&t=207515&start=15

guillermomq

Post by guillermomq » 24 May 2021, 02:50

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, I don´t speak German, but i will try asking for help. Well, i haven´t got evidences to know for sure that the creation of the song (melody and lyrics) is previous to 1939, but i think it is a theory that makes sense. Usually this songs are composed to be sung by the troop and feed morale. These are the words that made me suspect this: "The catchy song became popular very quickly and it was soon played as the main song of the entire "Legion Condor"", the Legion Condor was dissolved in 1939, but fought since the beginning of the war, and it takes time to create, popularize and even create different versions of a song. These are the reasons that made me think that this was a song that maybe wasn´t created, but at least yes was gestated during the combats and not at the end or after the war, regardless of having been recorded in 1939. For example, about the song "Bombenfliegerlied der Legion Condor", it happens the same, i don´t know the sources, but it is mentioned that both songs are "created" in 1939, nevertheless, there is a different detail about the description of this one: "He was not a musician and never actually wrote down the notes, nor named the song. Him and his men just sung it and unofficially called it "Bombenfliegerlied". Only after the meeting with a professional musician, Stabsmusikmeister Hans Teichmann (in 1939), the official musical score was written", it is not specified when the song was sang by him and his men, but i think that make sense that the lyrics had been created during the war, when the song had a practical use, and not after just like a record or registration of a experience. I don´t know what do you think about, I´ll try to read the sources you passed me and I hope found more info.

Thanks!

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 24 May 2021, 03:10

Hello again,

Generally, such theorising is a waste of time. If you, for example, had a historical source mentioning the legionnaires singing some song of theirs before 1939, that would be a different story and a solid reason to start theorising. But to theorise merely because it may make sense is pointless. Composing a song at the end of the war makes sense too. Composing a song after the war also makes sense. Many things may make sense. (And popularising a tune generally didn't take long either.) This is why we stick with the known sources until new and reliable information resurfaces.

Cheers,
Ivan

silvestrik

Re: Marsch der "Legion Condor"

Post by silvestrik » 03 Jun 2021, 22:03

I'm looking for the original score of the "Marsch der Legion Condor".
Anybody knows where I can find it ?

willgill

Post by willgill » 18 Jul 2021, 02:07

I have the song sheet (piano music) for "Bombenfliegermarsch der Legion Condor" (Worte und Lied: Erich Schlecht, Musik: Hans Teichmann).

willgill

Pumpkin60LG

Post by Pumpkin60LG » 01 Jul 2022, 00:34

Does anyone happen to know the name of this note book? "Die berühmtesten Soldatenlieder für das Klavier"

I got this from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGgWP8FC74I but could not find any more information, full song name "Parademarsch der Legion Condor"

There are very similar notes on musescore, but it's a little bit different from what I can tell. I'm trying to learn every version of the song on piano, thank you in advance.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 01 Jul 2022, 01:56

Hello and :welcome:

Playing in the video is "Lied der Legion Condor", not "Parademarsch der Legion Condor" (see page 1 of this thread for further clarification). There is no period/official songbook called "Die berühmtesten Soldatenlieder für das Klavier", it's something compiled recently, by some "FischerMusik".

There were only a couple of official arrangements of "Lied der Legion Condor" (a.k.a. "Teufelslied der A/88") and "Marsch der Legion Condor" (a.k.a. "Parademarsch der Legion Condor"). Hans Teichmann made one arrangement of the song for orchestra, while the march was arranged by Fried Walter for orchestra and Bernhard Kutsch for mandolin quartet (Alexander Steinbrecher also made one slight arrangement for piano).

The modern arrangements made by various and usually anonymous internet users, like the one from the video, are irrelevant and off-topic here. The (also modern) musescore arrangement that you mentioned is more (but not completely) accurate and, unlike the aforementioned video, it does contain the "Parademarsch der Legion Condor" tune (the "Teufelslied" inscription in the score is incorrect though).

Cheers,
Ivan

Pumpkin60LG

Post by Pumpkin60LG » 02 Jul 2022, 18:06

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I spent a few hours searching for the book, there is a book with that name -> https://www.abebooks.co.uk/first-editio ... 7691182/bd there is a version for accordion and piano, but it does not seem have notes for it.

Here is the similar version on musescore I was talking about, someone uploaded it to YouTube -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGMBtzQgpw

Do you possible have the notes for the "official" arrangements for piano?

Thank you.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 03 Jul 2022, 14:16

Hello again,

Unfortunately, all I was able to find are these few pages from the orchestral score (unlike the "Bombenfliegermarsch der Legion Condor", which was published in a number of period songbooks, the "Marsch der Legion Condor", as well as the song, are very hard to find in printed form; I've never seen them published in period songbooks and this is the first score offered for sale that I came across):
Marsch der Legion Condor (1).jpg
Marsch der Legion Condor (2).jpg
Marsch der Legion Condor (3).jpg
Marsch der Legion Condor (4).jpg
Marsch der Legion Condor (5).jpg
Source: https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/ ... 9e541d0b37

Hermann Krome's songbook "Lieb Vaterland" that you linked in your last post is completely different from the amateur modern one you were searching for (it doesn't even have the same title).

The linked YouTube rendition is quite bad; I don't understand why some people nowadays find it so hard to play such a simple melody properly.

Cheers,
Ivan

GregSingh

Re: Bombenfliegermarsch der "Legion Condor"

Post by GregSingh » 04 Jul 2022, 11:53

This might be a propaganda piece only, but who knows...From June 1939 recording session.
One Oberleutnant Schlecht explains how Bombenfliegermarsch came about...
"Vorwärts, Legionäre...!"
Wie der "Bombenfliegermarsch" der Legion Condor entstand

Die Kastagnetten klappern, harte Finger trommeln auf das Tamburin. Und zu den schmetternden Klängen der Marschmusik singen kräftige Männerkehlen:

"Wir sind deutsche Legionäre, die Bombenflieger der Legion,
Im Kampf um Freiheit und Ehre, Soldaten der Nation.
Vorwärts, Legionäre! Vorwärts, im Kampf sind wir nicht allein,
Und die Freiheit muß Ziel unseres Kampfes sein!"

Der Aufnahmeleiter einer Berliner Schallplattengesellschaft nickt befriedigend, mit dem Schnitt kann begonnen werden! "Also, bitte Ruhe ...!" Und wieder klingt die schmissige Melodie des "Bombenfliegermarsches" der Legion Condor auf. In Reih und Glied stehen die Soldaten im stahlblauen Fliegerrock mit den Orden und Ehrenzeichen des Spanienkampfes daran, und begeistert kommt es von ihren Lippen: "Wir sind deutsche Legionäre! Vorwärts, Legionäre!" So haben sie vor Madrid, bei Teruel, an der Barcelona-Front gesungen, seitdem ihnen Oberleutnant Schlecht, der auch jetzt wieder mitten unter ihnen steht, dieses Marschlied geschenkt. Es hat seine kleine Geschichte wie jeder Sang, der in bewegten Zeiten geboren wurde. Sie ist rasch erzählt:

"Es war in Avila, im heißen Kampf um die spanische Hauptstadt", berichtet Oberleutnant Schlecht. "Wieder einmal herrschte große Freude im Lager über eine Reihe von Abschüssen, und blitzartig kam mir der Gedanke, dieses soldatische Hochgefühl in Verse zu kleiden. Als diese niedergelegt waren, ersann ich mir gleich eine Melodie, aber da ich keine Noten kenne, noch etwas von Musikinstrumenten verstehe, mußte ich mich mit dem Pfeifen behelfen. Die Weise formte sich dabei ganz von selbst. Die Mannschaft spitzte die Ohren und bald pfiff, summte und sang sie ebenso schneidig das unbekannte Lied, das zum Marsch der Legion werden sollte.

Einige Zeit verging, da traf ich in Leon mit Stabsmusikmeister Teichmann zusammen. Rasch holte ich eine Gruppe von sangeskundigen Soldaten herbei, die dem Musikus unser Lied vortrugen. Dieser erklärte sich sofort bereit, die Weise zu intonieren, und er arbeitete so tüchtig, dass bis zum Abend die Komposition fix und fertig war. Am nächsten Tage schon übte er mit seinem Musikkorps, wobei sich noch verschiedene Verbesserungen ergaben, und dann hatten wir unser Kampflied, das bald von allen Truppenteilen der Legion gesungen und gespielt wurde."

Diese eine Platte ist aufgenommen. Nun folgt eine andere mit dem Parademarsch der Legion Condor, der mit den Worten endet:
"Und ziehen die Legionäre als Sieger ins deutsche Land, dann schreiten mit unsere Toten. Wir heben zum Gruße die Hand."
Oberleutnant Philipps hat den Text und der Königsberger Stabsmusikmeister Bögelsack die Noten geschrieben. Auch dieser Marsch, wie mancher andere, der im Toben des Bürgerkrieges auf spanischer Erde entstanden ist, und die nun auf Schallplatten übertragen werden, damit sie jeder in seinem Heim beliebig ost hören kann, hat bei den deut­schen Truppen rasch Feuer gefangen. Ihre Melodie auf den Lippen, flogen und marschierten sie zum endgültigen Sieg über den roten Weltfeind, und mit ihren Weisen in den Ohren wird die Erinnerung der Legionäre an ihren tapferen Kampf um die Freiheit eines geknechteten Landes immer lebendig bleiben.
Source: Innsbrucker Nachrichten, 21.06.1939, p. 10

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Bombenfliegermarsch der "Legion Condor"

Post by Ivan Ž. » 04 Jul 2022, 13:24

Hello, Greg

Already posted here: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=207515&start=15#p2288791

Cheers,
Ivan

silvestrik

Post by silvestrik » 10 Apr 2023, 10:54

A new book give the score of Marsch der Legion Condor. It's an original copy of the music published in 1939.
Actually, it seems to be the only one score accessible because of the censorship currently in use in Germany for this period.
In this book, you'll find 28 original scores about songs of the French soldiers on the East Front in the LVF and the Waffen-Grenadier-Brigade der SS Charlemagne.
You'll find a lot about their origins, words, history, filiation after the war in the French army in Indochina and during the Algerian war.
Because music has no borders.

https://www.editions-harmattan.fr/livre ... 76748.html

ChantsMaudits.png
ChantsMaudits.png (141.98 KiB) Viewed 756 times

heinrich-pg

Post by heinrich-pg » 06 Dec 2023, 16:08

From what I understand from the record label "Teufelslied der A/88" it is an instrumental recording only; I would like to know what the primary source of the text is--- is it a score, a recording of a choir or is it taken from a book or an oral testimony?
GRAZIE

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 06 Dec 2023, 18:35

Please read the posts more carefully before replying. It's stated right above the label that it's a vocal recording. The sources of both versions of the song's lyrics are the recordings (of Bögelsack's march; see also the other comments above the label scans and read also this post).

Edit: a post by user heinrich-pg repeating the same questions has been removed. Again, please read the posts more carefully before replying.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”