Unidentified Wehrmacht bands

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Kavallerie

Post by Maxschnauzer » 20 Jun 2014 03:39

This photo from eBay is titled Musikkapelle Wehrmacht zu Pferde WW2. Is it just me or do the musicians' caps look a litttle strange? I welcome your comments.
Trompeterkorps.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Max

Max

Re: Kavallerie

Post by Max » 18 Aug 2014 14:36

The caps are Liberty or Phrygian caps and are usually associated with more with the French than Germans.
See here for the full story http://www.languedoc-france.info/061412 ... rtycap.htm

BTW Does the officer wear a German uniform?
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Aug 2014 14:43

They are all wearing German uniforms and the caps are not Liberty or Phrygian caps but common German army M34 field caps. There is nothing strange about the photo, caps or uniforms.

Cheers,
Ivan

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 18 Aug 2014 22:39

Thank you, Ivan. I stand corrected. Maybe it's just the shadows that made the caps looked puffed out in the front. Or maybe it's my eyesight. :oops:
Cheers,
Max

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Aug 2014 23:12

Don't worry, it's just the shadows :)

Cheers,
Ivan

Max

Post by Max » 19 Aug 2014 04:54

OK I'm convinced.
It must be the shadows
Cheers
Max
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Auceps

Totenkopf

Post by Auceps » 27 Jun 2015 14:41

I have a question to one of the photos, attributed as Leibstandarte:
This image was marked by Ullstein Bild as Leibstandarte in Prague.
00078108.jpg
But not so long ago it was re-uploaded by GettyImages in a better dimension.
545921977.jpg
And here we can see the Totenkopf and not the SS-runes on their collar tabs. My question is: Isn't that actually the Totenkopf-Standarte 9, Prag (later SS-Wachbataillon "Böhmen und Mähren")?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Totenkopf

Post by Ivan Ž. » 27 Jun 2015 18:11

Auceps wrote:My question is: Isn't that actually the Totenkopf-Standarte 9, Prag (later SS-Wachbataillon "Böhmen und Mähren")?
If the date (the year at least) is correct, then no. SS-T-St. 9 came to Prague in the 2nd half of 1940 (and didn't even exist in Oct. 1939). Again, that is IF the photo was indeed taken in 1939. This could be a mistake as well. However, another source mentions the same year: the date for this photo given by a Czech source is 15.03.1939. http://ceskapozice.lidovky.cz/sedmdesat ... ice_139439 Ullstein Bild mentions October 1939. Should be checked which (/if) SS-TV units were there in this timeframe.

Whether the date is correct or not, I agree that the collar patches definitely seem to be Death's Head's = the unit is not Leibstandarte.

Cheers,
Ivan

Alexander B.

Heer

Post by Alexander B. » 28 Jun 2015 10:13

My (only) two pictures of what I believe to be a Wehrmacht band.

As I may have told some of you, my mothers family was very involved in the Second World War on the side of Germany, and we lost 12 family members in the conflict.

These came out of a pile of loose photos that from my grandfathers house.

They don't appear to be pictures of any of my family members that I know of, perhaps a visiting band came by and one of my Great-Uncles took pictures?

It wouldn't be possible to identify the unit or anything with any certainty, would it? I'm very bad at uniforms and wouldn't even know what I was looking at if the information was right in front of me! I unfortunately couldn't tell you where they might have been taken, either. As the loose stack they came from was a pile of pictures of all my different uncles and they served everywhere in Europe from the Eastern wastes to the shores of France.

Auceps

Re:

Post by Auceps » 02 Sep 2015 00:03

Another SS band. The photo was possibly made in Norway for the Norwegian Legion.
Eines 32.jpg
Eines 36.jpg
Photos by SS-KB Eines.

Auceps

Re:

Post by Auceps » 02 Sep 2015 00:25

One unidentifed (SS?), one police band and some SS dance orchestra. All pictures made by SS-Kriegsberichter Falkowski:
Falkowski100.jpg
Falkowski75.jpg
Falkowski3.jpg

Auceps

Re:

Post by Auceps » 02 Sep 2015 01:43

Another Wehrmacht band playing at some concert (Photos by SS-KB Homann). Or there are two bands there? Because I can see some musicians with Fransen (they could be from Luftwaffe according to their collar tabs) and some are not:
Homann30.jpg
Homann32.jpg
P.S. The photos must be taken during the same concert as here.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 03 Sep 2015 01:33

Auceps wrote:Another SS band. The photo was possibly made in Norway for the Norwegian Legion. Photos by SS-KB Eines
Indeed taken during the ceremony for the Norwegian Legion, but not sure about the unit of the band itself.
Auceps wrote:One unidentifed (SS?), one police band and some SS dance orchestra. All pictures made by SS-Kriegsberichter Falkowski
The photo of the police band was taken at a funeral which had been discussed on forum, in several topics, but I'll need the time to remember which ones. The other two (indeed both SS bands) were taken at the Sennheim training camp, during the photo sessions with French volunteers mostly; but the bands/band possibly belong to a different unit. No precise info at the moment on these either.
Auceps wrote:Another Wehrmacht band playing at some concert (Photos by SS-KB Homann). Or there are two bands there? Because I can see some musicians with Fransen (they could be from Luftwaffe according to their collar tabs) and some are not
This is a mixed Heer & SS band. Homann album has 5 different albums which are unfortunately all mixed up now, so I'll need some time to check from which album were those two taken.

Cheers,
Ivan

Auceps

Re:

Post by Auceps » 03 Sep 2015 02:02

Ivan Ž. wrote:Indeed taken during the ceremony for the Norwegian Legion, but not sure about the unit of the band itself.
If it's in Norway, it could be the band of one of the Totenkopf-Standarte stationed there.
Ivan Ž. wrote:This is a mixed Heer & SS band. Homann album has 5 different albums which are unfortunately all mixed up now, so I'll need some time to check from which album were those two taken.
Hmm, are you sure that that dark collar tabs belong to SS and not to some Luftwaffe Flak unit?
Plus one more thing: the second to left clarinettist in the first line has a closed collar and his breast eagle can't be seen at all (like on his neighbour). But his collar tabs are too narrow and oblong for the Luftwaffe or SS. Couldn't he be a member of the Police?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 03 Sep 2015 11:46

Auceps wrote:
Ivan Ž. wrote:Indeed taken during the ceremony for the Norwegian Legion, but not sure about the unit of the band itself.
If it's in Norway, it could be the band of one of the Totenkopf-Standarte stationed there.
No, see the collar patches (they have runes, not death's heads).
Auceps wrote:
Ivan Ž. wrote:This is a mixed Heer & SS band. Homann album has 5 different albums which are unfortunately all mixed up now, so I'll need some time to check from which album were those two taken.
Hmm, are you sure that that dark collar tabs belong to SS and not to some Luftwaffe Flak unit?
Plus one more thing: the second to left clarinettist in the first line has a closed collar and his breast eagle can't be seen at all (like on his neighbour). But his collar tabs are too narrow and oblong for the Luftwaffe or SS. Couldn't he be a member of the Police?
Indeed there seem to be policemen there as well (good eye!), so the band is likely a mix of Heer, SS and Police (no Luftwaffe though). The photos were taken in 1942 at the National Theatre in Belgrade, and the SS men are almost certainly members of the "Prinz Eugen" division. Although the details are small, the insignia on the collar patches looks like the Odal rune to me - and it's not wishful thinking, it does look like it (as far as I can see, the insignia is definitely not the Sig runes) and it makes sense; the division was stationed nearby and the photographer who took the photos was attached to it.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”