Tomahawk Films

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 14 Sep 2014 12:48

Bill, you have earned a great respect from your customers after your very first CD and I am glad a company like yours finally appeared in the historical-CD-scene. In the same category, of course, are also the works by your associates from DGfMM. And only an insane person could even think of comparing a properly researched high-class booklet, such as yours, with a small piece of paper with a misspelled list of off-topic tracks, such as the "Tomahawk" sells. Keep up the good work, Bill. Historians dealing with facts and doing their job are unfortunately very rare these days.

Now: after Mr Matthews' bright idea to defend himself by repeatedly insulting me, to my surprise several people who had worked with him in the past have contacted me privately and gave me some really interesting informations about the work of his "company" and himself: all extremely negative. But they won't be revealed for now. As a result, I've decided to pay closer attention to the work of this person, and thus some changes have been made in the initial topic.
Ivan Ž. wrote:If you took the time to read my reviews you would actually see that out of seven reviewed CDs of yours, I did not recommend only two.
This has changed. After a detailed research, I was quite shocked to discover what have this person been serving to his customers for years - and still does: one lie after another. Oh, and there's also a bit of piracy involved, right, Mr Matthews? Have you been publishing tracks from some other companies' LPs on your CDs - without a permission nor giving credits? Your old versions of CDs such as the "Luftwaffe" or "Kriegsmarine" for example? The ones whose tracklists you have suddenly completely changed - just when the public started finding out the truth about your work? A piece of advice for you and your associates "Eagle & Lyre": when you steal other people's material - make sure that you don't steal their mistakes as well (their typos or their incomplete tracks, for example). It's a telltale which makes really hard for you guys to prove the material was not stolen. More details in the initial topic.
Ivan Ž. wrote:In any case, you're not that interesting to anyone here, trust me.
Now you are. More reviews about the frauds of "Tomahawk Films" will follow. Oh, and by the way, as painful as it was, I actually took the time to read some of the nonsense you wrote in your ridiculous blog and also your posts on Facebook.

The following screenshot is just one tiny excerpt from Matthews' blog - clearly showing that this person doesn't have even a basic knowledge on the German military music.
Brian Matthews wrote:
tomahawk17.jpg
[/size]
In reality: "Ritter der Nordsee" was a Kriegsmarine song from the start, which is also written on the original record label (and can be naturally heard in the lyrics, if one understands them, that is). It was originally written for S-Boote and its one and only title was "Ritter der Nordsee". And "E-Boat" is an English term, there were no E-Boots (English: E-Boats; German: S-Boote). "Argonnerwald" is a famous Pionierlied from WWI (opening line: "Argonnerwald, um Mitternacht, ein Pionier steht auf der Wacht..."), it didn't "become" the song of "Pionierkorps" (Matthews also likes renaming all German army branches to "Korps"). "Leb' wohl, Irene" was officially "Lied der Flak-Fahrer", as it was also written on every label and printed release. No adoption there either. "Edelweiß" never became known as "Lied der Gebirgsjäger". The official and famous title of the song beginning with words "Rot scheint die Sonne" was "Das Lied der Fallschirmjäger" (meaning: The [Main] Song of Paratroopers), and it wasn't some favourite and then adopted song - it was their song from the start and their official anthem. Hermann Löns wrote the "Matrosenlied" (Wir fahren gegen Engelland) and died in 1914. He was a well known poet, not a composer. Perhaps Matthews suggests that he participated in the WWII campaign as a zombie or a vampire? It wouldn't be anything new, since he already credited dead artists as performers in a WWII concert.

The following are just a couple of screenshots and examples of frauds from the Tomahawk Films Facebook page.

Dear Mr Matthews, do you, as someone who likes to call himself a professional, feel that it is a professional behavior to present other people's book scans as originals from your own company's archive? Just one example: does the book title "Musik in der Waffen-SS" mean anything to you? I can understand a person like you trying to steal one or two photographs, but ALL OF THEM? Here are only a couple of examples (there's much more) of the Tomahawk Films "professional" presenting documents taken from another author's work - as files "From The Tomahawk Films WW-II German Archive", on his company's Facebook page (watermark "Copyright Munin Verlag" was added by me, of course). All marked scans were copied from "Musik in der Waffen-SS" by Fritz Bunge. Matthews uploaded documents from several other books (by other authors) as well, each time presenting them as his own.
Tomahawk Films wrote:
Tomahawk11.jpg
Tomahawk12.jpg
Also: moving the same items around the room and taking pictures of them in different positions doesn't make your "collection" larger (yes, referring to the same framed items you photographed on the wall and then, rearranged, on the floor).
Tomahawk Films wrote:
Tomahawk15.jpg
[/size]
Also, it is not nice to present fantasy pieces and fakes as originals.
Tomahawk Films wrote:
Fakes.jpg
[/size]
See that number, 69458? It is written on the label and pressed into the shellac (see bottom left). That is a Großdeutscher Rundfunk matrix number from the year 1942 (meaning the track was recorded in 1942). Wunschkonzert's last broadcast was in 1941.
Tomahawk Films wrote:
tomahawk7.jpg
Oh, and by the way, 219. Infanterie-Division, Pionier-Bataillon 15 (15. Infanterie-Division) and 216. Infanterie-Division - all of which you credited for the same photo - really, really are not the same unit.
Tomahawk Films wrote:
tomahawk9.jpg
And regarding your shameless, constant making up of history and your toying with the musical heritage of a foreign country (Germany) - it is now being covered in the initial topic.

Cheers,
Ivan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djpool

The Military Music & Bandsmen of Adolf Hitler's Third Reich 1933-1945

Post by djpool » 12 Apr 2016 23:21

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: The Military Music & Bandsmen of Adolf Hitler's Third Reich 1933-1945

Post by Ivan Ž. » 12 Apr 2016 23:43

You can read plenty on the author of the book and his scams here http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=205121 and here http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1058323 and make your own conclusion.

Cheers,
Ivan

djpool

Post by djpool » 13 Apr 2016 13:22

Hi Ivan,

I read the threads and can see that you and the author don't like each other. But they concerns the way he advertises, documents and sells his CDs. This thread is about books and personal vendettas aside what about the book itself. It's out of print and fairly expensive running $100-$400 a copy. I only found one review and it was positive. So in keeping with the spirit of the thread does anyone have any comments on the book.

Jim

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 13 Apr 2016 13:39

Hello, Jim.

Either you didn't read the topics, or you read them only partially. They illustrate clearly and thoroughly that the author is a person who simply makes things up (lies). If nothing else, read only the excerpt from his blog I posted as a small example (or read the entire blog), and you will see that even many years after that book was published, the author still doesn't have a basic knowledge on the German military music. None of the topics/posts I sent you the links to are about personal liking/disliking or vendettas (at least not from my side), but about warnings of the historically harmful material created and sold by a man who makes history up for his own financial benefit - warnings to which he reacted by insulting (and nothing but insulting) the person who exposed him. Those insults only led to more exposure (I am deeply sorry I was forced to waste any of my time on it, and that I'm doing it again now). There is nothing else that needs to be said about such a material, and I kindly ask not to ruin this topic with it, the topic that so far had only truly valuable recommendations.

Cheers,
Ivan

mp40oli

Post by mp40oli » 14 Mar 2017 00:27

My Bible for instrument identification, manufacturer identification, musikkorps insignia , pre war, post war , etc. Brian was kind enough to send me a hand signed copy. Best referance book in my collection hands down .

The Military Music & Bandsmen of Adolf Hitler's Third Reich 1933-1945

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 14 Mar 2017 03:16

It has been proven that the author of that book is a fraudster who simply makes up info on Third Reich music. This has already been mentioned in this very topic, only a few posts ago. Once again, I kindly ask our fellow members not to advertise such a material here, if they care about history at all.

Read more at: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=205121
And: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1058323

Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”