Where to buy Third Reich music?

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
cardinal beaton

Third Reich Military Music CDs

Post by cardinal beaton » 31 Dec 2020, 20:37

Good evening and best wishes for 2021!

I'm just curious if there are any other outlets that market wartime and pre war German military music apart from Brandenburg Historica? Specifically, professionally produced and restored recordings rather the plethora of badly copied, pirated rubbish that seems to be the only material available.

Brandenburg Historica have produced some fascinating and high quality CDs but they don't seem to be producing any more; I do realize that the amount of work they've put into some of their releases has taken years but the last two (outstanding recordings of vocal and instrumental pieces) were produced four or five years ago.

cardinal beaton

The Paucity Of German Military Music Cd's.

Post by cardinal beaton » 17 Sep 2021, 23:38

Well, the good news is that Brandenburg Historica have informed us that there'll be new items in their catalogue "this fall" (that's autumn to us Brits) and I'm looking forward to it; Brandenburg have a habit of producing top quality CDs with informative booklets on the bands, composers and compositions.

The bad news? Apart from Brandenburg Historica the market is occupied by pirates who produce cheap, poor quality, pirated copies of recordings that are mostly public domain. In an age where information is supposed to be 'free' we are paradoxically faced with a scenario where anything associated with the Third Reich is censored, removed and shut down, even innocuous 'non political' soldier songs.

I'm really fed up with the situation. If I had the ability to download music from YouTube then I'd gladly do it but why should I?

Panzerspitze

Re: The Paucity Of German Military Music Cd's.

Post by Panzerspitze » 21 Sep 2021, 07:20

cardinal beaton wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 23:38
I'm really fed up with the situation. If I had the ability to download music from YouTube then I'd gladly do it but why should I?
This fork of youtube-dl comes in handy, if you want to download, but there's little left to dl.
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

Tretyak

Re: The Paucity Of German Military Music Cd's.

Post by Tretyak » 10 Oct 2021, 19:32

cardinal beaton wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 23:38
Well, the good news is that Brandenburg Historica have informed us that there'll be new items in their catalogue "this fall" (that's autumn to us Brits) and I'm looking forward to it; Brandenburg have a habit of producing top quality CDs with informative booklets on the bands, composers and compositions.

The bad news? Apart from Brandenburg Historica the market is occupied by pirates who produce cheap, poor quality, pirated copies of recordings that are mostly public domain. In an age where information is supposed to be 'free' we are paradoxically faced with a scenario where anything associated with the Third Reich is censored, removed and shut down, even innocuous 'non political' soldier songs.

Well, there is a solution: to buy non-censored modern recordings of German military music. Yes, those are mostly dedicated to pre-1914 repertoire, but some rarely played marches from 20s-40s are available as well.

cardinal beaton

'Documentary Series' (E Hocheder + Co) Recordings

Post by cardinal beaton » 21 Jan 2022, 22:24

The online music database 'Discogs' seem to have blocked the sale of the whole range of the 'Documentary Series' LP/CDs (E Hocheder +Co), even including those covering the Imperial Germany and Weimar era. Apparently they 'contravene standards'.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if there's any site that sells the full 'Documentary series' range? I have a few on CD and LP but I'd like to obtain a few more.

cardinal beaton

Re: Where to buy Third Reich music?

Post by cardinal beaton » 04 Jun 2022, 22:46

Is it true that Brandenburg Historica have ceased trading? Their Facebook page has a message that they're "closed for now" which seems a little ambiguous; is this just regarding their Facebook page or their store?

Return to “Music of the Reich”