Theme of death and killing in German songs

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Theme of death and killing in German songs

Post by Ivan Ž. » 24 May 2016, 02:06

[Split from "Herms Niel"]
Gerst wrote:It is funny, Americans think German soldiers sang Nazi songs about war and killing, yet they sang songs about flowers and animals and drinking beer and making love! Americans sing "hut two three four" and "I don't know but I've been told." STUPID!!!!
German soldiers did sing about flowers and animals and drinking beer and making love, but they also did sing Nazi songs about war and killing. If nothing else, check just the music (this) section of the forum and you'll find plenty on all German military music genres, in several historical periods. There's much more than sunshine, lollipops & rainbows in German military songs throughout history.

Cheers,
Ivan

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Re:

Post by David Thompson » 24 May 2016, 07:04

Gerst -- Your off topic and insulting posts were removed. Read the forum rules, and don't repeat your mistake.
Personal remarks in posts are strongly discouraged, and personal insults are forbidden here.
Posts containing insulting generalizations about nationalities, ethnic groups, societies or religious groups and practices are not permitted here. This includes remarks about collective responsibility.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53962

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Re:

Post by David Thompson » 25 May 2016, 16:15

A second off-topic post from Gerst, containing insulting personal remarks about another forum member, was removed by this moderator.

Gerst -- We have a very low tolerance for this kind of behavior, and you've already been warned.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Re:

Post by David Thompson » 26 May 2016, 02:12

Several more posts from Gerst were removed for the same reason.

EinsatzimFelde

Re:

Post by EinsatzimFelde » 26 May 2016, 07:10

Ivan Ž. wrote:
Gerst wrote:It is funny, Americans think German soldiers sang Nazi songs about war and killing, yet they sang songs about flowers and animals and drinking beer and making love! Americans sing "hut two three four" and "I don't know but I've been told." STUPID!!!!
German soldiers did sing about flowers and animals and drinking beer and making love, but they also did sing Nazi songs about war and killing. If nothing else, check just the music (this) section of the forum and you'll find plenty on all German military music genres, in several historical periods. There's much more than sunshine, lollipops & rainbows in German military songs throughout history.

Cheers,
Ivan
Do you have some examples of these "killing" songs? As a clinical psychologist with military rank, these would be very interesting to me.

Merci milles fois

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 26 May 2016, 10:37

Hello, clinical psychologist with military rank

One of the very last songs mentioned in the topic that this [off-topic] "discussion" was started in (which has been split-off into a topic of its own now) - is called "Wer sich uns entgegenstellt, der fällt!" Does anyone need a translation & additional explanation? Then there's also, for example "...wir fliegen gegen Engeland und mit uns fliegt der Tod!", "...jagen England in den Tod!", "...Tod säen sie und Verderben rings..." (these were all very popular songs), "...Deutschland erwache - Juda den Tod!" (one of the main party songs, repopularized during the war) - needless to say that basically all war songs [Kriegslieder] are about killing, because that is what war is (if something like this needs to be repeated in a history forum at all). Also, one of The main German WWII songs is about the devil (Teufelslied), who was one of the more popular mascots of the German troops, together with the death. So, again - flowers, animals, etc were not at all the main nor only motifs in the German military songs, far from it. And there are much more examples; as I already wrote, do a search - starting with this forum.

Ivan

EinsatzimFelde

Re:

Post by EinsatzimFelde » 26 May 2016, 12:41

I meant army songs, not Nazi songs. In the US army we have very few "killing" songs that I can identify. Do you know of any?

clinical psychologist with military rank

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 26 May 2016, 12:52

Those are the (well known) Wehrmacht songs. Stop wasting other people's time, Gerst.

Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”