British Soldier's Song (Onward, conscript army...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Sheldrake

Re:

Post by Sheldrake » 22 Sep 2017, 18:30

Tiger S04 wrote:
I'm still having trouble with Monty Burton. Any thoughts on this one Tiger?
If my memory serves me correctly, Monty (Montague) Burton was the founder of the Burton's store chain (as you mentioned), based initially in Leeds. There was indeed a Montague (or Montagu) who was chairman of the Bank of England, but this was Montagu Collet Norman, who held the post from 1920-1944 (I blame those boring history lectures for my recollection of this banal information). So either Goebbels and his people were talking about the Leeds tailor, or they simply got the wrong Monty. Not quite the full Monty, indeed. :D
Monty Burton - Chesterfield Derby then Sheffield and beyond. Likely origin for the phrase "The Full Monty"
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/full-monty.html

Hampig1

Re: British Soldier's Song (Onward, conscript army...)

Post by Hampig1 » 23 Sep 2017, 01:40

Hi,
Saw this old thread whilst trying to research the song,
I have an original typed copy of it from the 40s,
I've had it since I first started collecting WWII bits when I was 17 or 18, and never really knew what it was! It was only recently I rediscovered it in a folder & became intrigued by it.
I thought it may have been a propaganda leaflet dropped on the British, but it's interesting to know it was actually performed as a song.
I'll dig it back out tomorrow & try to post a picture of it,
Andy B

Hampig1

Post by Hampig1 » 23 Sep 2017, 02:58

Not the best picture, sorry :-)
Also note, entitled "Jewish National Anthem"

[A privately-typed antisemitic piece of paper of unknown origin has been removed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 23 Sep 2017, 03:48

Hello, Andy

Would you please explain why do you believe this is an original copy of the lyrics (note: it absolutely is not) and from the 1940s?

Ivan

Hampig1

Post by Hampig1 » 23 Sep 2017, 13:27

Hi Ivan,
I'm not quite sure what you mean,
It's is on original vintage paper, it's typewritten and has old marks on the paper.
I picked it up in a collectible shop 12-13 years ago for literally pence as neither myself nor Steve Bransgrove (the shop owner and father figure for me throughout my teenage years), knew what it was.
If you are insinuating it's not original, please explain your reasons.
I only registered on this site as I was interested in what the lyrics were from as I had no previous idea that it existed as a song.
Frankly your reply has left me a little confused, please enlighten me.
Regards,
Andy B

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 23 Sep 2017, 14:17

Dear Andy,

It is just a piece of paper with lyrics that anyone could have typed. It's not an original (official) document or print, there is no signature, stamp, logo or anything that would make it an original copy of the song's lyrics and therefore it has no historical nor any possible value. It only might have a disvalue, as a potential anonymous person's private insult on the Jewish people (ref. to the song title).

Ivan

Hampig1

Post by Hampig1 » 23 Sep 2017, 18:29

Dear Ivan,
I don't know why you have taken exception to my post, but I am experienced enough with antique documents to tell if what is in my hand is real or fake.
I came to this forum in good faith to find out more about a GENUINE historical document.
I do not condone the words used in the song, or on the piece of paper - of course it's anti-Semetic and is shameful by any modern person's standards.
I don't see why you would consider this any more offensive than any other post on this thread.
The fact you've declared it as some sort of 'fake' without ever having inspected it shows how rediculous your 'arguement' is.
I wished only to discuss what it COULD be.
If your opinion is that it could be fake, that is fine and you are able, as a grown up, to express that opinion, but to remove my photo from the thread denies any other considerations as to it's origin.
As my intention was purely to investigate the paper and find out more, I have no further need to bother with this 'forum', since the whole point of the forum should surely be to 'debate' subjects, not force your own opinion as law.

Hampig1

Post by Hampig1 » 23 Sep 2017, 18:29

As a footnote, my thought was that it, and other copies, could have been spread about by the British Union of Fascists in the 30s to try to instill hate amongst the British Masses before Moseley's fascists were banned.
If this were the case, despite how distasteful we find it (of which we are at least in agreement), it is still historically interesting.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 23 Sep 2017, 18:44

Dear Andy,

I can only repeat what I already wrote:
Ivan Ž. wrote:It is just a piece of paper with lyrics that anyone could have typed. It's not an original (official) document or print, there is no signature, stamp, logo or anything that would make it an original copy of the song's lyrics and therefore it has no historical nor any possible value.
It's nothing personal, really.

Best wishes,
Ivan

Lotz

Post by Lotz » 16 Jan 2018, 12:00

... and this is what the label looked like ...
A-209-Anonym-Grammophon-Propaganda-0019b.jpg
Source: own collection

Return to “Music of the Reich”