Unidentified SS bands

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Auceps

Re:

Post by Auceps » 20 Dec 2015, 03:22

Some SS dance orchestra, another picture by SS-KB Falkowski:
Falkowski75.jpg
Falkowski75.jpg (97.86 KiB) Viewed 728 times

Auceps

Re:

Post by Auceps » 26 Jul 2020, 12:55

[Split from Musikzug der SS-Standarte "Deutschland"]
Auceps wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 16:35
Thank you for the photos! So it must be also Bunge on the last three photos during the visit of Chamberlain and Daladier? I'm just asking because it seems that there is also a photo of both prime ministers with another SS military band (I guess it was the Totenkopf-Standarte 1).
Ivan Ž. wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 17:54
According to Fritz Bunge (Musik in der Waffen-SS, pp. 40-41), the band of SS-Sturmbann N (former band of the II./SS-Standarte "Deutschland"), under Adolf Laubmann, was lined up before Chamberlain and Daladier. Perhaps that's the other band you were referring to; can you post the photo in question?
Here it is.
Unknown band 1.jpg
Not only the Schellenbaum is different (with a death's head), also the helmets are older I think. And I can't see a big drum there.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 26 Jul 2020, 17:19

Thanks for posting. It could be the band F. Bunge was talking about, but there's no (visible-enough) details in the photo to confirm it. The Schellenbaum is unknown to me. Here's another photo, with the band in the distance, taken a few moments later.
ribbentr.jpg
Source: https://www.dhm.de/lemo/bestand/objekt/ ... -1938.html

The source (LeMO/DHM) misidentified the unit as the Leibstandarte; as far as I can (barely) see, they seem to be wearing "Deutschland" cuff-titles. (Or not!) If so, since the "Deutschland" Regiment (to my knowledge) had one band at the time, and this one isn't it, it's quite possible that it's indeed the former "Deutschland" Regiment's 2nd battalion band, which in 1936 became the band of SS Battalion N. However, in the Battalion N photos that I've seen, its members were wearing blank cuff-titles. Whether the bandsmen kept their old "Deutschland" cuffs, that I don't know.

...but let's complicate this a bit more, shall we: although F. Bunge wrote that the band of SS Battalion N was lined-up before Chamberlain, Daladier etc. for the Munich Agreement 1938 - which was in late September - he also wrote that the band became "Der Führer" regimental band in Vienna in July the same year = months before the Munich Agreement! So, his info isn't really helpful here. What could be helpful though is finding a higher resolution copy of a photo showing the band's Schellenbaum (and cuff-titles).

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”