Sieg-Heil, mein deutsches Vaterland

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
behemoth

Post by behemoth » 02 Apr 2006, 20:00

I am new here although I've used this site as a reference for a while. There are many people here with incredible information to share. Thanks to Sdt, I was able to find the song "Sieg-Heil, mein deutsches Vaterland"

I work with sound every day professionally and so I try to clean up the audio on many of these songs as far as possible using Adobe Audition mainly. Let me get to the point and question: 1) The song is over 5 minutes long. 2) It appears to be recorded in stereo.

My knowledge of recording technology of the time says that 78 rpm recordings couldn't be made over around 3-3.5 minutes in length and often performances would have to be sped up to make them fit the record. Finally, even though the invention of stereo is noted from the early 20th century, the "history" books do not cite it's actual practical usage until well after the fall of the Third Reich.

Does anyone know where this song came from? I can't imagine a modern remake of a song like this for obvious reasons. What is the explanation for the stereo tracks? The left and right are VERY distinctly different from each other. Was this an outtake from a movie? If so, which one? What is history not telling us about German technology of the time?

Dave

Sdt

Post by Sdt » 02 Apr 2006, 20:45

As you probably have noticed, this track has in fact the song "Sieg-Heil, mein deutsches Vaterland" and also the "Badenweiler-Marsch". I think someone put them together.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 29 Aug 2006, 17:54

Dear Dave,

As Thomas wrote, someone simply put together two (unrelated) tracks there. That's the answer for the unusual duration. The file was released like that in one of the awful, so-called (phoney) "Waffen-SS" LPs by the French company "SERP". They also added artificial stereophonic effect in all of the tracks. That's the answer for the other "mystery".

The composition itself was created in 1933 and recorded the same year by Carl Woitschach's band (and it had nothing to do with the SS). The march (intro) was composed by Bruno Gellert and the song in trio was set to the melody of "Vårt land" by Fredrik Pacius. The lyrics were written by A. F. Graf von der Schulenburg. The piece was dedicated to President Paul von Hindenburg.

Cheers,
Ivan

Green_white

Re: Sieg-Heil, mein deutsches Vaterland

Post by Green_white » 20 Jul 2022, 14:03

I may be a little late, but does anyone know the lyrics to Sieg-Heil, mein deutsches Vaterland?

Thanks.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 20 Jul 2022, 17:55

Hello and :welcome:

You can find part of the lyrics in Prieberg's Handbuch Deutsche Musiker 1933-1945, p. 1966:

1. Sieg-Heil, mein deutsches Vaterland!
Die Knechtschaft ist vorbei
[...]

2. Sieg-Heil, mein deutsches Vaterland!
Es grüßt vom Flaggenmast
das Banner, das uns neu erstand,
das nur der Neiding haßt!

Die hehre Siegesrune,
Vorväter Heiligtum
mit unsrer Flagge schwarzweißrot,
die uns geführt zum Ruhm.

3. [...]
According to the same source, the complete lyrics can be found in H. Dosse's songbook Uns're Fahne flattert uns voran.
You can also try to find and buy the original score (there's one for sale here).

Cheers,
Ivan

Alarm_Uboat

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 20 Nov 2022, 15:09

I managed to recognize the full lyrics of this song, can I post it?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 20 Nov 2022, 15:51

Hello and :welcome:

We're trying to avoid posting lyrics transcribed by listening as much as possible. The lyrics to this song were offered for sale not long ago, so it's better to wait and see if someone will share an original scan. But we generally don't encourage posting propaganda material due to the sensitivity of the topic, as I already informed you privately, kindly asking for your understanding.

Cheers,
Ivan

Alarm_Uboat

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 20 Nov 2022, 15:53

Thank you for the ovtet

Return to “Music of the Reich”