Prinz Eugen (Prinz Eugen, der edle Haufen...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Prinz Eugen (Prinz Eugen, der edle Haufen...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 26 Nov 2016, 17:42

For quite some time, thanks to a misinformation (misinterpretation) launched on the internet over a decade ago, it was incorrectly believed that this school-parody was an official song of the "Prinz Eugen" Division.
Prinz Eugen, der edle Haufen,
mit den Serben muß er raufen,
unsre Muli-Division!
Und gar manchen Serbenschädel
und gar manches Serbenmädel
sehe ich gefallen schon...
We discussed it here http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=224547 and I thought it would be also interesting to the members following this section.
keith A wrote:Several sources mention him [Franz Josef Krombholz] recounting a marching song but there seems to be confusion as to whether he wrote the words to it or just repeated them in an interview post-war....there's also a question of the translation of the words. Bombast or a very brutal anthem?
Ivan Ž. wrote:The song was just a joke-cover of the old folk song "Prinz Eugen" and it was sung by a couple of officer candidates at the Bad Tölz school on a farewell-ceremony before they departed to the "Prinz Eugen" Division (they were not too happy about the transfer to such an inferior division, so they made fun of it). Krombholz was present and later wrote down the lyrics of the first strophe, which Kumm published in his book. The song was NEVER a song of the "Prinz Eugen" Division, but only a small joke once sung in an officer school by a couple of unhappy guys. According to Krombholz, the parody lyrics were written by certain Wieshofer. The Bad Tölz "Prinz Eugen" parody has little - to no historical significance; it is only interesting as an anecdote and an example of how some SS men from the Reich felt about serving in an ethnic German SS division.
keith A wrote:I have read so many accounts (most very partisan...no pun intended) that never mention this. I always though the lyrics were open to interpretation but your explanation makes a lot of sense. I did think fallen Serbian maids might not mean violence but a typical barrack-room song that overemphasizes the attraction of a uniform ;)
Ivan Ž. wrote:But of course! ;) And my explanation is simply an improved translation of what Krombholz (the source of the lyrics) himself wrote. Everything different you may read is just some guy's free (usually ignorant, and incorrect) interpretation.

The correct translation of this school-parody would be the following:

Prinz Eugen, the noble bunch,
must fight the Serbs,
our mule division!
And many Serbian skulls,
and many Serbian girls,
I already see falling *

* originally "gefallen", which can mean both to fall in a battle and to like [see also the meaning listed below by Ulrich, AliasDavid]

Note: "Prinz Eugen, the noble bunch" refers to the beginning of the original folk song, which was "Prinz Eugen, the noble knight" [...]. The "mule division" is a self-derogatory term (young cadets were not happy about serving with mules, as Krombholz stated). The "Serbian skulls" that will fall are of course the Serbian rebels they will kill, but the "Serbian girls" that will fall are indeed what you yourself thought, the girls falling for German soldiers [...].
AliasDavid wrote:"Gefallenes Mädchen:" Girl having lost her virginity, without physical violence involved.
Ivan Ž. wrote:Simplified: we will defeat the enemy and take (win over) his women. A tale as old as time.
Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”