Wir alle (Wir alle tragen das gleiche Kleid...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Wir alle (Wir alle tragen das gleiche Kleid...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 19 Apr 2005, 14:30

[Topic renamed on 19.11.2017]

Has anyone heard of a song supposedly called "SS wir alle", mentioned in Robin Lumsden's "The Allgemeine-SS", page 17. According to the source, it includes the line "Wir alle stehen zum Kampf bereit, wenn Runen und Totenkopf führen." I have never found any other record of such a song, apart from this book.

TheAllgemeine-SS.jpg
TheAllgemeine-SS.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 897 times

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

mty

Re: SS wir alle (?)

Post by mty » 28 Aug 2005, 11:04

According to some people in militariacollecting.com it was never recorded, only hummed as sort of a "battle hymn". Yes, those are the initial words. I too would like to know how it goes on :)

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 24 Aug 2008, 07:57

Hello, mty

It seems to me that the people you mentioned (and everyone else) have heard about the song only from the very same source. And what kind of a title is "SS wir alle" (SS we all) supposed to be anyway? It's not even grammatically correct.

Cheers,
Ivan

SockittySocks

Post by SockittySocks » 19 Nov 2017, 09:36

I came across "Hitler's Propaganda Machine" by Ward Rutherford in my school's library, and it's mentioned in it. The accompanying blurb stated Words and music for 'We are all SS,' one of the rousing songs which accompanied the Waffen-SS into battle. The propaganda effect of thousands of men singing in perfect cadence as they marched had a devastating effect upon the opposition. Especially the civilians.

My apologies for the image quality. I can retake it, if you want.

Wir alle.jpg

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Wir alle (Wir alle tragen das gleiche Kleid...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 19 Nov 2017, 15:19

Ah, thank you very much, SockittySocks. This makes much more sense. So the song title is actually "Wir alle" (the opening words of every strophe), NOT "SS wir alle".

As far as I was able to find out, the text copy you posted was published (back then) in student newspapers called "Hilf mit!" in the summer of 1941. So I have no idea where Lumsden got the info that when the "SS men marched off to war in 1939 they sang their battle-hymn We Are All SS" or Rutherford his "Words and music for 'We are all SS,' one of the rousing songs which accompanied the Waffen-SS into battle. The propaganda effect of thousands of men singing in perfect cadence as they marched had a devastating effect upon the opposition. Especially the civilians."

The song seems to be just one of numerous amateur songs that were (possibly only one-time) printed in newspapers but never actually caught on. How can someone consider it a 1939 battle hymn and sung by thousands is beyond me, considering that the song is basically unknown. Does Rutherford support his claim with any source? (Lumsden does not.)

Cheers,
Ivan

PS
If you can make a better copy of the lyrics (or, even better, a scan), please do.

Return to “Music of the Reich”