[So-called] Marschlied der Leibstandarte

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Grond

[So-called] Marschlied der Leibstandarte

Post by Grond » 25 Aug 2012, 19:50

[Split from SS marschiert in Feindesland]
Ivan Ž. wrote: The performer is still unknown to me; I only know that they also recorded the so-called "Marschlied der Leibstandarte" (melody "Unsere Garde").
Do you know if an original version exists of Marschlied der Leibstandarte (choral) and if it ever made it to CD? (I really like the postwar Flemish version too)
Wim wrote:It is a recording of the Flemish veterans choir (Sint-Maartensfonds - Scheldekoor) [...] Here is the cover of the cassette.
Thank you for the information, I have only heard a few songs off this tape-but i think they are fantastic! Would love to have seen them in concert.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 26 Aug 2012, 16:59

Grond wrote:Do you know if an original version exists of Marschlied der Leibstandarte (choral) and if it ever made it to CD?
No. I've never even heard that a Leibstandarte version existed, before hearing this modern recording. So I'm not sure whether this version was perhaps written only after the war. Also, it's unclear whether it was supposed to be a song of the SS or the SA Leibstandarte.

The lyrics themselves were copied from two old covers of "Unsere Garde"; the first verse (Wer zieht dort im Sande...) and the refrain were copied from "Die braune Garde", while the second verse (Und ruft uns zum Kampfe...) was copied from one of the "Wir tragen..." covers. The lyrics basically remained the same, except that "die braune Garde" was replaced with "die stolze Leibstandarte" in the refrain.

Cheers,
Ivan

Grond

Post by Grond » 31 Aug 2012, 16:28

Thank you for the reply Ivan, much appreciated

TheFeldMarschall

Post by TheFeldMarschall » 21 Nov 2015, 00:49

I really need the lyrics of this song [Link to a pro-nazi video removed. I. Ž.] in German, can someone help?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 25 Nov 2015, 18:50

TheFeldMarschall wrote:I really need the lyrics of this song
See my previous post for some info on the song:
Ivan Ž. wrote:No. I've never even heard that a Leibstandarte version existed, before hearing this modern recording. So I'm not sure whether this version was perhaps written only after the war. Also, it's unclear whether it was supposed to be a song of the SS or the SA Leibstandarte.

The lyrics themselves were copied from two old covers of "Unsere Garde"; the first verse (Wer zieht dort im Sande...) and the refrain were copied from "Die braune Garde", while the second verse (Und ruft uns zum Kampfe...) was copied from one of the "Wir tragen..." covers. The lyrics basically remained the same, except that "die braune Garde" was replaced with "die stolze Leibstandarte" in the refrain.
Lyrics:

Wer zieht dort im Sande die Straße einher?
Wer reckt dort die jungen Glieder?
Wem wird in der Sonne der Affe nicht schwer,
wer singt dort die lustigen Lieder?

Ja, das ist die Garde,
die unser Führer liebt, ja liebt,
die stolze Leibstandarte,
die da stirbt und sich nicht ergibt.

Und ruft uns zum Kampfe das Vaterland,
dann gibt es kein Zaudern und Zagen,
dann nimm, Kamerad, dein Gewehr in die Hand,
um Fahne und Freiheit zu wahren.

Ja, das ist die Garde...