Radetzky-Marsch [by J. Strauß]

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
mty

Radetzky-Marsch [by J. Strauß]

Post by mty » 15 Apr 2007, 13:00

[Two threads dealing with the same subject have been merged and renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Hi!

This has been posted to "SS & Polizei" forum long ago but nobody there seemed to be able to identify the march being played in the following parade clip, downloadable from: http://aeiou.iicm.tugraz.at/aeiou.film.f/f135a

The parade takes place in Vienna after Anschluss and has e.g. Kaltenbrunner and Stahlecker among saluting guests. Parading units seem to be from Schutzpolizei as well as the band. I first thought that the music could be Polizeimarsch-Berlin but after couple of times of listening it still sounds a bit different. Other suggestions? :)

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Radetzky-Marsch

Post by Ivan Ž. » 15 Apr 2007, 13:39

mty wrote:identify the march being played in the following parade clip
Have you ever seen the Vienna New Year's concert? The traditional closing march? "Radetzky-Marsch" :D

Cheers,
Ivan

mty

Post by mty » 15 Apr 2007, 16:06

Ivan:

Of course I do know Radetzky :). Somehow I still can't connect that piece of marching music to tradiitonal verse of Radetzky. It has some resemblance but the main theme seems slightly different. I even made couple of friends (who know Radetzky well) to watch and listen to it and both of them (like me) were unable to connect it.

Is there full clip with audio available somewhere? If you could point to me which part of the Radetzky is played by the band during this clip, that would help a lot. Usually I recognize these marches immediately - if they are well known like Radetzky - but this one is very difficult, perhaps due to very "metallic" sound of police band.

Edit: it might be Radetzky... but then the tempo is awfully slow or otherwise weird to my ears :)

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 15 Apr 2007, 16:17

Although "Radetzky" isn't my favourite march, I whistle it every day (I don't know why) and I know every single part of it. Believe me it is it.

In the video can be heard the trio from the march (the folk tune Strauß incorporated in his piece).

Cheers,
Ivan

mty

Post by mty » 15 Apr 2007, 16:32

Now I'm starting to get a hang of it, so to say! :)

You are right with that. Still, this is the most obscure rendition of Radetzky I have heard!

Your expertise on this area is awesome! :)

Anas sawallha

Post by Anas sawallha » 09 Oct 2009, 15:19

hi
please anyone know what is this march ?? and please if possible you can post a link of the whole march ?

http://www.aeiou.at/aeiou.film.data.film/f135a.mpg
thanks

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Oct 2009, 20:32

Hello,

Please see viewtopic.php?f=81&t=254029

Cheers,
Ivan

Anas sawallha