Advertisement records

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Advertisement records

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Feb 2021, 23:33

A topic we haven't mentioned in our Third Reich music discussions so far: advertisement records (Werbeplatten). Unlike today, when most companies advertise their products through short radio or video (often non-musical) commercials, back in the day a number of companies advertised themselves through complete songs, sometimes composed by quite known composers and recorded by popular artists, and released on records. Here are some of them...

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

C&A Marsch (Ein Kleiderkauf wird immer zum Vergnügen...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Feb 2021, 23:38

Whenever I come across a C&A store, I think of this piece :)

Music by Rudolf Perak, lyrics by K. H. Adam.

Recorded by Erwin Hartung and the Spree-Revellers (probably accompanied by Carl Woitschach's Brass Band) in Berlin, 1936.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

C&A Walzer (Kleider machen eben Leute...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Feb 2021, 23:59

Another C&A piece, this time a waltz.

Music by Gerhard Winkler, lyrics by K. H. Adam.

Recorded by Erwin Hartung and the Metropol-Vokalisten (accompanied by an unknown dance band) in Berlin, 1936.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Möbel-Hübner-Marsch (Ist Dir irgendwo im Grünen...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 19 Feb 2021, 00:10

(Möbel-Hübner = Hübner Furniture)

According to Lotz's list, Erwin Hartung made this recording accompanied by Adalbert Lutter's Dance Band, in Jan. 1936.

The author of the piece remains unknown. The lyrics can be found at the company's website (scroll down to "Der Möbel Hübner Song von 1936").

The march was also recorded as an instrumental in 1935 and released on Telefunken T 5384 (matrix number 50169).

It was re-recorded two decades later, with new lyrics and under the title "Möbel-Hübner-Lied".

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Was man nicht begreifen kann! (Die meisten Dinge kann man sich erklär'n...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 19 Feb 2021, 00:32

Another, lesser known, Möbel-Hübner advertisement song:

Author(s) unknown.

Recorded by Erwin Hartung (accompanied by an unknown dance band) in Berlin, 1935.

GregSingh

Re: Advertisement records

Post by GregSingh » 20 Feb 2021, 12:58

Hilarious!

Do you know of any advertisement records for German tobacco companies?
Since the ban was introduced, even historical ones seemed to disappear from the face of the earth...

Google searches came up with Alva-Zigaretten and to my surprise:
Werbeplatte der Sturm-Zigaretten GmbH Dresden [...] mit dem Musikzug der S.A.-Gruppe Berlin-Brandenburg; Ltg.: Mzf. Johannes Fuhsel
But I am not sure if this was a musical advert, perhaps only a text was spoken before a march was played?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 21 Feb 2021, 01:50

Hello, Greg

Yes, Mr Kaiser's full description for this record reads: "Titel: Werbeplatte der Sturm-Zigaretten GmbH in Dresden - Vortrag, mit dem Torgauer Marsch als Hintergrundmusik. Interpret: M-Sprecher, mit dem Musikzug der S.A.-Gruppe Berlin-Brandenburg; Ltg.: Mzf. Johannes Fuhsel. Platten-Firma: S.A.-Platte. Bestell-Nr.: 96. Matrizen-Nr.: R 96." So it's not an advertisement song but a spoken word by an unknown male speaker with a traditional march played in the background, by Fuhsel's band. By the way, as you possibly know, the Sturm Cigarettes were a Nazi (SA) brand.

Note that the most popular photos of the aforementioned Fuhsel's band were issued as cigarette cards, by the Jasmatzi.
This is one of them: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=250948#p1977884 (see another one here, including a scan of the reverse side).

I can't say that I remember coming across many German tobacco advertisement records, but I admit I didn't have much time to research them. I know that Kar-Mitri also had at least one (a copy was sold on eBay recently, for EUR 30). But that record was made in the 1920s, i.e. it pre-dates the Third Reich.

Cheers,
Ivan

ostland

Post by ostland » 21 Feb 2021, 09:56

May I add the Kienzle Uhrenfabrik demonstration?

https://archive.org/details/193309XxWer ... Klang3m52s
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker. Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 21 Feb 2021, 13:04

Sure, but generally let's keep the focus on musical advertisements ;)

Cheers,
Ivan

Erich-SA

Post by Erich-SA » 17 Mar 2021, 02:24

I just saw and listened to these advertisement recordings--they're great! I've never seen nor heard of them before. Thanks for sharing these!
Erich-SA

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Walter Messmers Rundfunkkaffee

Post by Ivan Ž. » 24 Mar 2021, 16:23

Hey, Erich, long time no see! Glad to know you're still around.

Another Telefunken record, this time with two advertisement songs for Walter Messmer's Radio Coffee:

The first one begins with the line "Beim Frühstück weiß ein jedermann, da kommt es uns vor allem auf den Kaffee an..." and the other one (starting at 1:10) begins with "Mmmm, das geht ins Blut und der Kaffee schmeckt so gut..."

Author(s) unknown, performer: Erwin Hartung, a mixed choir and (according to Lotz's list) Adalbert Lutter's Dance Band. Berlin, Jan. 1936.

Erich-SA

Post by Erich-SA » 01 Apr 2021, 04:38

Hello Ivan, I'll try to get back here more often! Do you know if these records were given to customers, potential customers, or sent out to addresses en masse? I assume they wouldn't be purchased from a record store, for example, since even though the music is well done, it seems most people wouldn't pay for an advertisement or dance to a Messmer coffee ad? Or would they?
Erich

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 02 Apr 2021, 10:42

Hello, Erich

Good questions, but I don't know the answers to them. I assume Dr Lotz (who is also a forum member) would know more. You can read, for starters, his brief text on the Telefunken special "T" series here, mentioning advertisement records as well.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”