SA-Wehrmannschaften songs?

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
D-General

SA-Wehrmannschaften songs?

Post by D-General » 31 Mar 2021 14:27

Hello everyone, I know this seems like an odd question to ask, but given the fact that history has a lot of unexpected hidden things, I might as well ask. Did the SA-Wehrmannschaften units have their own exclusive songs? Whether this be for recruiting, marching, etc...

I just wish to satisfy this question which I have been pondering for a while, thank you all and have a nice day.
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."(Erwin Rommel)

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: SA-Wehrmannschaften songs?

Post by Ivan Ž. » 31 Mar 2021 20:47

Not an odd question at all, thanks for bringing it up actually.

I don't know any SA-Wehrmannschaft songs but would also like to know if there were any - and it seems conceivable that there were, considering that singing was much more practised back then and that every minor unit had or wanted to have a song of their own (at least in the army).

There definitely were SA songs composed during the war: Herms Niel, for example, composed music for (at least) two, in 1940:
Ivan Ž. wrote:
Das ist SA [Marsch und Lied]
Composer: Herms Niel
Lyricist: Joseph Lang
Publisher: Musikverlag Wilke & Co., Berlin-Wilmersdorf, 1940
Opening Line: Es ruft unsre Trommel, es dröhnt unser Tritt

Wir, die SA
Composer: Herms Niel
Lyricist: Anonym
Publisher: Musikverlag Wilke & Co., Berlin-Wilmersdorf
Opening Line: Ob wild uns umbrandet die eisige Flut
However, I don't think they were tied to a specific unit or branch of the SA (I've read only the lyrics to one of them though).

Cheers,
Ivan

D-General

Post by D-General » 02 Apr 2021 07:47

Thanks for the extra information Ivan, I appreciate it.
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."(Erwin Rommel)

ostland

Post by ostland » 04 Apr 2021 07:56

Are those songs available online Ivan?
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker. Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 04 Apr 2021 10:48

Hello, ostland

If you're asking about sound files, not sure whether they were ever made (although everything's possible).

As for the texts, I've found the lyrics to "Das ist SA" (Niel/Lang) in old newspapers (I've posted them in the Herms Niel topic now). The other song, "Wir, die SA", starting with "Ob wild uns umbrandet die eisige Flut" (officially by an unknown lyricist), is likely the exact same song as "Ob wild uns umbrandet die eisige Flut" by Anne-Marie Koeppen (refrain: "Wir, die SA! Wir, die SA!"), which was set to the music by amateur composer Willy Werner (it was the song of SA-Gruppe Mitte). The text to the Koeppen/Werner version was published in the SA-Liederbuch, 2nd ed. (1939). The Herms Niel version was certainly based on this song, however, I don't know whether Niel only composed new music for it, or if someone also changed the rest of the lyrics. His version was published as sheet music, which I haven't seen yet (no other publications known to me).

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”