Schlageters Mahnung: "Deutschland erwache!" (Deutschland, du mein Vaterland...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
MarioGuy789

Schlageters Mahnung: "Deutschland erwache!" (Deutschland, du mein Vaterland...)

Post by MarioGuy789 » 08 Nov 2021, 08:45

[Split from Sound files shared by 78 rpm record collectors]

Sorry for bumping this thread after a couple of months, but I've come back with another question still relating to this topic. I've continued to peruse the internet in search of music I've not yet heard and happened upon a video called "Deutschland Erwache - Rare Version." You can easily find it by just typing that in, there's several links, a couple for Dailymotion and at least one link to this place called "worldtruthvideos" which is literally just an extremist website. In any case, I've searched up this song with little other pretext other than the title and lyrics (and since I speak no German whatsoever, this hasn't helped me very much). It's very clear that this song isn't just Heil Hitler Dir/Sturm Sturm Sturm/etc, from what I can tell just going off what I can make out, which again isn't much except for the very audible "Deutschland Erwache" at the beginning of each verse, though I could be wrong.

Any chance someone could identify this song and possibly give me a transcription of the lyrics? The whole song is literally just two verses, which seems odd to me for some reason. Again, I could definitely be wrong and this is literally just a version of this song I've never heard.

Thanks all.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 08 Nov 2021, 09:39

Hello, MarioGuy789

At the time of the Nazi German "awakening" of 1933, there was a wave of compositions containing the phrase "Deutschland, erwache" (Germany, awake), or "Deutschland erwacht" (Germany awakes) and similar. One of them was "Schlageters Mahnung: 'Deutschland erwache!'", which is the piece you're looking for.

Polydor-2-25234-A.jpg
Polydor-2-25234-A.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

What they sing in the recording is just the refrain, the song had more lyrics than that (see the attachment below).

Schlageters Mahnung.jpg
Source: Sturm- und Kampflieder-Buch (1933)

Important note: The recording made by Martin Ewers and his band is not the song "Schlageters Mahnung: 'Deutschland erwache!'"; it is a march with the refrain of the song in trio. The song was written by Max Bussewitz and composed by Werner Barré. Who composed the march (i.e. the instrumental part), however, isn't certain. It could have been the song's composer Barré, as the record label suggests, but also the bandleader Ewers, or even a third person (unfortunately, info on record labels wasn't always accurate, especially in Ewers' case).

Cheers,
Ivan

MarioGuy789

Re: Schlageters Mahnung: "Deutschland erwache!" (Deutschland, du mein Vaterland...)

Post by MarioGuy789 » 08 Nov 2021, 20:47

Thanks a bunch Ivan, I appreciate this information. Sorry about bumping the other thread, I wasn't sure if I should create a new thread or not seeing as I wasn't even sure what I was looking for or how to look for it, and in my experience some forums don't like it when there are duplicate or very similar threads addressing the same thing.

Anyway, thanks again!

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Schlageters Mahnung: "Deutschland erwache!" (Deutschland, du mein Vaterland...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 08 Nov 2021, 21:46

Hey, no worries, splitting/moving a post takes just a few seconds ;)

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”