Marsch der Charlottenburger SA (Wenn Standarte 1...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Alarm_Uboat

Marsch der Charlottenburger SA (Wenn Standarte 1...)

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 20 Nov 2022, 18:09

Nothing is known about this record except that it belonged to SA-Standarte 1. I will be glad of any information about her (text, history).The recording can be found at archive.org.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Marsch der Charlottenburger SA (Wenn Standarte 1...)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 23 Nov 2022, 21:00

This one is indeed a rarity, originating from the JPF collection (i.e. his former YouTube account). It's likely a composition that was never published (printed) but was recorded from a manuscript, used for that one recording session (many compositions were recorded from manuscripts actually, which is why they can't be found in a printed form today). The track title is a bit unclear though: there's "Marsch der Charlottenburger SA" with "STANDARTE 1" below it, almost looking like part of the title, but more likely indicating (partial) authorship. Quite unusual credits, with composer listed at the very bottom, instead of right below the title. It would be good to find a 1934 Kristall catalogue and see how (if) it's listed there.

Kristall-2100.jpg
Kristall-2100.jpg (110.75 KiB) Viewed 651 times

During the recording session, the band was led by Musikzugführer E. Grünberg (he's credited on the reverse side - thanks to JPF for providing it). The composer is Fritz Wenneis (it's unclear who wrote the lyrics - probably not the composer). Recorded in late 1933 or early 1934.

Jerard Maiki

Post by Jerard Maiki » 23 Nov 2022, 21:31

I am curious, may I ask what is the song on the reverse side?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 23 Nov 2022, 21:47

Ah, it's what every suck-up Nazi band played: their Leader's favourite, "Badenweiler-Marsch". The Kristall company alone released four different recordings of that march (by Ewers, Grünberg, Fuhsel, Erichsen), on at least five different records, in the course of only three years.

Jerard Maiki

Post by Jerard Maiki » 23 Nov 2022, 22:08

Thank you as always Ivan :D

Return to “Music of the Reich”