Feier der Arbeit: Wenn die Fahnen und Standarten

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Alarm_Uboat

Feier der Arbeit: Wenn die Fahnen und Standarten

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 11 Mar 2023, 22:11

[Topic title completed by the host, I. Ž.]

Hello again, I have arrived again with a question about song. Maybe someone knows if there was a commercial recordings of this song? At the moment I have the lyrics of this song, and its second name is also known - Lied der SA-Gruppe Südwest. I will be grateful for any information about this.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Wenn die Fahnen und Standarten

Post by Ivan Ž. » 12 Mar 2023, 19:43

This song was originally part of "Feier der Arbeit", written by Gerhard Schumann and composed by Franz Philipp (Op. 38, 1936). It was also known as "Fahnenlied aus 'Feier der Arbeit'". The only known commercial recording of it was rather interesting. It was released on an untitled record with a huge SA logo across the entire label. The reverse was Altendorf's "Ein junges Volk steht auf". When played, the needle had to be placed on the inside part, playing backwards, which was typical for radio records (some radio recordings were indeed released on commercial labels). However, these two tracks don't appear in the available radio recording lists (1929-1939). They were made by the men of SA-Gruppe Südwest (band and chorus) under Dr Wilhelm Buschkötter. Recording date unknown (according to Prieberg, Buschkötter was Musikreferent der SA-Gruppe Südwest in 1937-1938, so that's probably when the recordings were made). "Wenn die Fahnen und Standarten" was also recorded by the composer himself (conducting an anonymous band and chorus), on 28.07.1938 in Karlsruhe, for the Stuttgart radio.

Cheers,
Ivan

Alarm_Uboat

Re: Wenn die Fahnen und Standarten

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 12 Mar 2023, 19:48

Thanks!

reichmusik

Re: Feier der Arbeit: Wenn die Fahnen und Standarten

Post by reichmusik » 19 Apr 2023, 08:29

When played, the needle had to be placed on the inside part, playing backwards, which was typical for radio records
Quite interesting, I never knew of such a thing, thanks.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 19 Apr 2023, 11:18

Yes, see the framed note at the bottom of the label: "Nadel innen aufsetzen" (put the needle on the inside):

Wenn die Fahnen und Standarten.jpg
Wenn die Fahnen und Standarten.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 1081 times

Another rare example of a (likely-)radio record issued under a commercial label (Grammophon), with a note: "Platte spielt von innen nach außen" (record plays from the inside out):

Ich bin der Bua vom Aubachtal.jpg
Ich bin der Bua vom Aubachtal.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 1081 times

Jerard Maiki

Post by Jerard Maiki » 19 Apr 2023, 15:03

Really interestings labels, thank you for sharing Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”