Marsch des einigen Deutschland (Gewalt, Verrat und Herrscherneid...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Musikus1871

Marsch des einigen Deutschland (Gewalt, Verrat und Herrscherneid...)

Post by Musikus1871 » 12 Mar 2023, 14:51

Hello together, I own this apparently very rare record. Does anyone have the lyrics and could send them to me?
Thanks in advance
Musikus

Marsch des einigen Deutschland(1).jpg
1938 recording

Alarm_Uboat

Re: Marsch des einigen Deutschland (Gewalt, Verrat und Herrscherneid...)

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 12 Mar 2023, 15:31

Hello Musikus, you have very wonderful rare recordings! Where can I hear this recording? Maybe you can publish it? As soon as I discover the texts I can share them here. Do you know what was on the back?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 12 Mar 2023, 18:59

Hello, Musikus

This Strauß' piece originates from 1848. It was his Op. 227 (his Op. 228 was the famous "Radetzky-Marsch"). The 1938 version of the march, made after the Anschluss and recorded by Kermbach's band, has some additional music by Eduard Pfleger and lyrics by Carl Maria Haslbruner. The score was published by Robitschek of Vienna, and that's what you should search for if you want the original lyrics (a copy can be found at the Bavarian State Library, for example). No songbooks containing the lyrics are known to me.

It is a rare recording indeed, originating from a rare recording session, in which dance bandleader Kermbach, atypically for him, recorded some political material (a rather light one though). I have a different Anschluss-track from the same session: "In die Ostmark zieht der Frühling ein" (two matrix numbers away from "Marsch des einigen Deutschland"). Session's recording date: 09.05.1938.

Cheers,
Ivan

Musikus1871

Post by Musikus1871 » 14 Mar 2023, 17:26

Ivan Ž. wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 18:59

It is a rare recording indeed, originating from a rare recording session, in which dance bandleader Kermbach, atypically for him, recorded some political material (a rather light one though). I have a different Anschluss-track from the same session: "In die Ostmark zieht der Frühling ein" (two matrix numbers away from "Marsch des einigen Deutschland"). Session's recording date: 09.05.1938.
Thanks a lot, Ivan! The track "In die Ostmark zieht der Frühling ein" is on the other side of the record. What do you mean by "light one" exactly? I now almost have the whole text noted by hearing, I'll share it on here, as soon as I have it completely. It contains many phrases as "Sieg Heil" , "Deutschland erwache" , "Ein Volk ein Reich ein Führer", so I was very surprised when I heard it for the first time, didn't think it was so political.

Cheers
Musikus

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 14 Mar 2023, 17:35

One must put such songs in the right historical context; for the Germans, at least officially, it was a time of unification, and the majority of the Anschluss songs were simply patriotic songs celebrating the union with what they considered their own people. Chants like "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer" weren't necessarily political if used in that context (when a political party and its iconography reach the state level, it's not always easy differentiating what was political and what was just patriotic). Nevertheless, "Marsch des einigen Deutschland" (1938) is indeed a bit heavier for Kermbach's standard repertoire. He also recorded one KdF song during that session, a jolly tune called "Nach der Woche kommt der Sonntag".

Please don't post lyrics deciphered by listening (read this post), especially when it's known that the original lyrics do exist in a printed form; I also wrote you an example of where you can find them.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”