Hymne an Rom

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
heinrich-pg

Hymne an Rom

Post by heinrich-pg » 13 Mar 2023, 20:56

I'm looking for the German text of this 78 rpm record of which I have the mp3 recording; i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶o̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶c̶c̶a̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶i̶s̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶e̶ ̶B̶e̶n̶i̶t̶o̶ ̶M̶u̶s̶s̶o̶l̶i̶n̶i̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶G̶e̶r̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶3̶8̶; I think it is very faithful to the original Italian text composed by Fausto Salvatori on music by Giacomo Puccini.
I thank you in advance
Hymne an Rom.jpg
Hymne an Rom.jpg (71.64 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Source: https://www.rundfunkschaetze.de/mdr-kla ... e-glieder/

[Image source added & misinformation crossed out by the host, I. Ž.]

Alarm_Uboat

Re: Hymne an Rom

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 13 Mar 2023, 21:22

Hello, thank you for sharing this post. I will try to find the text

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 13 Mar 2023, 22:02

Hello, heinrich-pg

Where did you find the info that it (the text) was "composed on the occasion of the visit of the Duce Benito Mussolini to Germany in 1938"? It wasn't. As you surely know, being from Italy, the original Italian song originates from 1918/19. There is only one period source mentioning a German version by Carl Stueber and that is the aforementioned Electrola recording - which was made in 1941 (as was also stated in your online source, which you failed to credit). But note that the record label does not specify whether he wrote the lyrics or made the arrangement, or both. In 1942, Bahar of Berlin published a score for the German version of "Inno a Roma", translated "Hymne an Rom", crediting Ralph Maria Siegel as the lyricist. The published arrangement was made by Josef Rixner. It should be checked whether Stueber and Siegel both wrote/translated the lyrics for the Italian song, in a rather short time span, or if Siegel was the lyricist all along and Stueber the arranger of the Electrola version.

So, to find the original German lyrics, and solve the little Stueber/Siegel mystery, one should first check the Bahar 1942 score (a copy can be found at the Bavarian State Library, for example).

Cheers,
Ivan

heinrich-pg

Post by heinrich-pg » 13 Mar 2023, 23:34

No, dear Ivan, you're making a little confusion...
There are TWO versions of the Inno a Roma in German, one was written by Carl Stueber and is the one of which the mp3 is found and the other was written by Ralph Maria Siegel and published by Bahar; of this last I have the digital copy of the score provided to me by the Accademia Nazionale Santa Cecilia in Rome; if you are interested I can send you the complete PDF by email and it is sufficient to compare the recording with the score to understand that they are two completely different texts.

Hymne an Rom - SIEGEL Ralph Maria - PUCCINI Giacomo e RIXNER Josef.jpg

As for my information about the composition of the hymn, I read somewhere (but I have to find the book) that it was performed in honor of the Duce during his visit to Germany in 1938

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 13 Mar 2023, 23:46

Thank you, mystery solved. The question was raised due to insufficient info and was solvable by checking the Bahar 1942 score, as I wrote.

The Electrola record being the only source of the 1941 Stueber version, chances of finding its period-printed text are very low.

I have info that they played "Inno a Roma" (German: "Hymne an Rom") for Mussolini in Munich, 1937 - but it was an original, instrumental version. Bare in mind that "Hymne an Rom" wasn't a unique title tied to a specific German cover, but only a translation of the original Italian title.

Cheers,
Ivan

Jerard Maiki

Post by Jerard Maiki » 14 Mar 2023, 00:22

Really an interesting recording, I didn't know this existed, thanks for sharing info about this

Return to “Music of the Reich”