O, Bootsmann

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Alarm_Uboat

O, Bootsmann

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 09 May 2023, 15:00

Hello there! Is there any information about this song? Who recorded it? The lyrics are there and I can publish it (with your permission, Ivan). It begins with the words: "O, Bootsmann, Bootsmann, sag uns doch..."

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: O, Bootsmann

Post by Ivan Ž. » 10 May 2023, 14:53

Hello again,

No need to ask for permission to post lyrics, just make sure you're not causing anyone any trouble by doing so. Hence the note I posted recently. And in any case, the lyrics to this particular song can be easily found in at least one songbook posted in the Songbooks thread (see Liederbuch der Kriegsmarine, Heft 3, p. 30) and in 50 other songbooks at the Deutsches Lied website, which was last recommended here yesterday.

Like several other Third Reich naval songs, this song - which was written by Sonderführer (Leutnant der Marine-Artillerie) Hannes Kraft of the 3rd Singleiterlehrgang der Kriegsmarine in 1940 - wasn't forbidden after the war (one of the modern performances can be heard here).

During the war, a commercial recording of the song was made for Telefunken on 20 January 1942 by the 8th Singleiterlehrgang der Kriegsmarine under Sonderführer Gottfried Wolters accompanied by Musikkorps des Wachbataillons Berlin under Musikmeister Guido Grosch. The same group of artists also had a recording session for the radio two months earlier (19 November 1941). But since I don't have the complete list of what they recorded there, I don't know if the session included "O, Bootsmann" as well.

Cheers,
Ivan

Alarm_Uboat

Re: O, Bootsmann

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 10 May 2023, 15:02

Thank you very much Ivan!

Return to “Music of the Reich”