Heil dir, mein Memelland! / Deutsch ist das Memelland

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Musikus1871

Heil dir, mein Memelland! / Deutsch ist das Memelland

Post by Musikus1871 » 25 Oct 2023 09:11

[Topic renamed by the host, I. Ž.]

Hello together, does anyone have the correct lyrics to this song?
Some lyrics are published in a 2000s songbook and several times on the internet, but I'm very sure these are not fully correct:

Es führt eine Brücke nach Osten
hinüber ins Memelland,
was wollen die feindichen Posten
dort drüben an Ufer's Rand?

D̶e̶u̶t̶s̶c̶h̶e̶s̶ ̶R̶e̶i̶c̶h̶,̶ ̶d̶e̶u̶t̶s̶c̶h̶e̶s̶ ̶R̶e̶i̶c̶h̶,
deutsch ist das Memelland,
ist ewig, ist ewig,
ewig deutsches Land!

"Deutsches Reich" is definetely wrong (at least in Seidler-Winkler's version [of "Memelland-Marsch"]), what I hear is "Deutsch! - Deutsch und frei!" and "Deutsches Reich" also doesn't make that much sense here.
I'd be happy if someone could provide me with the correct lyrics.

Musikus

Seidler-Winkler's recording of ["Memelland-Marsch"], 1939:
Screenshot (69).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alarm_Uboat

Re: Heil dir, mein Memelland! / Deutsch ist das Memelland

Post by Alarm_Uboat » 25 Oct 2023 10:18

Greetings! In Prieberg's book I managed to find the second stanza:
2. Es klingen dort nur deutsche Lieder,
für Freiheit kämpft deutscher Mut.
All-Deutschland ist mit euch, ihr Brüder,
denn Blut läßt ja nimmer von Blut.

Sieg und Heil, Sieg und Heil,
Heil dir, mein Memelland,
bleibst ewig deutsch, bleibst ewig deutsch,
bleibst ewig [deutsches Land.]
I also found [on Kaiser's website] several versions of [marches with] this song:

- Blasorchester Carl Woitschach (Telefunken)
- Blasorchester Bruno Seidler-Winkler (Electrola)
- Militärorchester und M-Chor, Heeres-Musikinspizient Prof. Hermann Schmidt (Odeon)
- Musikkorps des Inf.-Lehr-Regts., der Infanterie-Schule, Berlin, mit M-Chor; Ltg.: Obermmstr. Bendix Tumforde (Grammophon)

There may have been other versions. As soon as I find the text I will share it with you.
Last edited by Alarm_Uboat on 25 Oct 2023 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 25 Oct 2023 10:29

It's important to, yet again, make a difference between a song and a march with a song in trio.

The song, written by W. Wensky, was initially published as "Heil dir, mein Memelland!", in 1935, with music by Eduard Wilcken. Wilcken composed both music for the song and a march for it (of the same name), publishing them separately. Wilcken's march (with the song in trio) was first recorded by Orchester des Reichssenders Königsberg under the composer himself, for the radio, in 1936. The commercial recordings followed three years later (1939), made by Carl Woitschach's band for Telefunken (as instrumental) and by Musikkorps des Infanterie-Lehr-Regiments under Bendix Tumforde for Grammophon (with vocals). No known recordings of the song outside the march.

Inspired by Wilcken's composition, Georg Jaschin re-wrote music for Wensky's lyrics, composing, the same as Wilcken, both music for the song (1936) and a march for it (1937). The song was entitled "Deutsch ist das Memelland" and the march was entitled "Memelland-Marsch". Jaschin's march was first recorded in 1937, for the radio, by Kleines Orchester des Reichssenders Berlin under Willy Steiner. The commercial recordings were made, the same as in Wilcken's case, twice in 1939, by Bruno Seidler-Winkler's band for Electrola and by Hochschulorchester des Heeres under Hermann Schmidt for Lindström's Odeon label (both with vocals). No known recordings of the song outside the march.

So there are four compositions in question here:
- "Heil dir, mein Memelland!", 1935 song by Wilcken (no recordings known)
- "Heil dir, mein Memelland!", 1935 march by Wilcken, with the song of the same name in trio (recorded in 1936 and twice in 1939)
- "Deutsch ist das Memelland", 1936 song by Jaschin, based on the song by Wilcken (no recordings known)
- "Memelland-Marsch", 1937 march by Jaschin, with the song "Deutsch ist das Memelland" in trio (recorded in 1937 and twice in 1939)

Note that the four 1939 recordings were made on the occasion of the return of the Memel (Klaipėda) territory to Germany (22 March 1939; the tracks were made in March and April; it's interesting that Woitschach made his recording a day before the return of the territory was official).

I've never seen Wensky's lyrics published in a songbook, so one would probably have to search for one of the original scores, or browse through old newspapers and check if they were perhaps published there as well. The aforementioned modern songbook (Heidenlieder aus 8 Jahrhunderten, 2004) is unofficial and unreliable. One thing is for sure - they don't sing "Deutsches Reich" in the first verse. But I can't hear well what it is. In the Odeon recording, for example, they only sing "Deutsch, deutsch, deutsch ist das Memelland". But in the Grammophon and Electrola recordings, there is indeed "Deutsch und..." something. In case the missing word is "frei", then it's a March 1939 addition to the lyrics.

Cheers,
Ivan

Schmeisser

Post by Schmeisser » 25 Oct 2023 18:13

Hi!

Thanks for such detailed info! :thumbsup:

Musikus1871

Post by Musikus1871 » 26 Oct 2023 09:50

Thanks for the info!

Return to “Music of the Reich”