General info on German military bands & bandsmen

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
daniel kochenberger

General info on German military bands & bandsmen

Post by daniel kochenberger » 28 May 2003, 22:09

[Several topics dealing with general info on German military bands & bandsmen have been merged. Ivan Ž.]

Does anyone knows if there was a marching band for luftwaffe,kriegsmarine,s.s,etc...
another question i'm asking:What happened to german military bands?I doubt they played till the end of war.

thanks a lot!

Gewitter

Post by Gewitter » 29 May 2003, 02:59

Of course there were bands for the branches! even the US forces had them at the time, if you can recall Glenn Miller :wink: I fail to procure solid evidence as to whether or not they continued to the end of the war, but I highly doubt so in the waining moments of 45

Sbf.Koch

Post by Sbf.Koch » 19 Oct 2004, 17:47

Does anyone have detailed information about the Heer/W-SS/LW/KM music bands? How did one become a Musician in the army? Did they all have musical backgrounds? Or were they soldiers unfit for combat, then assigned to and 'trained' for a Musikzug? How many were there in each divison? Did they fight? Famous ones? Emblems/photo's? All is welcome.
Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Sbf.Koch

irish.fiddler3

Re:

Post by irish.fiddler3 » 26 Nov 2017, 18:40

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if being a bandsman in the Wehrmacht was a soldier's primary trade, or something that they did on the side? I have obtained a number of photographs that belonged to a Luftwaffe soldier, and most of them feature him as a drummer, marching with the band of his unit, or surrounded by other musicians. The pictures range from 1940 to 1945, and during that time he progressed from Flieger to Feldwebel. If the band was a full time position, I could see a drum major holding the rank of Feldwebel, but I can think of no other way a soldier would move up to Feldwebel if music was his only trade. Any insight will be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time,

shamirnewell

Re:

Post by shamirnewell » 28 Nov 2017, 12:05

irish.fiddler3 wrote: I would like to know if being a bandsman in the Wehrmacht was a soldier's primary trade, or something that they did on the side?
That was their job.

tigre

Re:

Post by tigre » 08 Jun 2019, 19:52

Hello to all :D; after a while.......................

Musikkorps in the Reichswehr/Wehrmacht.

Assigned to the Reich Ministry of Defense in 1919, army music instructors with teaching degrees received the status of military officer corresponding to a Major. From 1921 to 1930, the title Armee-Musikinspizient (approximately in 1928 renamed as Heeresmusikinspizient - Inspector) that encompassed several hierarchies: With less than 18 years of service he equaled one Oberleutnant, with more Hauptmann, with more than 25 years of service Major, that in 1930 they were in principle equated.

In 1936, the Musikmeister in the Wehrmacht grouped with a proper rank between the non-commissioned officers and the officers.

The hierarchies in 1936 were the following:

Heeresmusikinspizient
Stabsmusikmeister
Musikmeister (Musikmeister, Obermusikmeister)
Musiker-Unteroffiziere mit Portepee (senior non-commissioned officer)
Musiker-Unteroffiziere ohne Portepee (junior non-commissioned officer)
Musiker-Mannschaften (troop)

It was not until 1938 that the Musikmeister received the status of full-fledged officers. The officer ranks from 1938 were the following:

Musikinspizienten: Musikinspizient (Major), Obermusikinspizient (Oberstleutnant)
Stabsmusikmeister: Stabsmusikmeister (Hauptmann)
Musikmeister: Musikmeister (Leutnant), Obermusikmeister (Oberleutnant)

Sources: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milit%C3%A4rmusik
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Zus ... giment.htm

Cheers, Raúl M 8-).

tigre

Re:

Post by tigre » 15 Jun 2019, 15:16

Hello to all :D; more.......................

Musikkorps in the Reichswehr/Wehrmacht.

Regimental Music Band.

The musicians were generally used as paramedics during the fighting, and also the isolated infantry regiments organized, from the regimental band, security groups for the command post and the logistic trains. Regimental-level music bands were finally abolished in May 1944. Their composition was as follows:

- Band Master
- 37 musicians.

Band of Music of the battalion.

The battalion of sappers was the only battalion in the division that had its own band of music with an effective force of 28 musicians. These were used during the battles as paramedics.

Sources: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Zus ... giment.htm
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Zus ... aillon.htm

Cheers, Raúl M 8-).

Return to “Music of the Reich”