Wilhelm Furtwängler (1886-1954)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Benoit Douville

Wilhelm Furtwängler (1886-1954)

Post by Benoit Douville » 24 Nov 2004, 07:01

During World War II in Germany, Conductors like Bruno Walter, Otto Klemperer and Erich Kleiber all left but Furtwängler decided to stay. The crucial question which would plague Furtwängler for the rest of his life was why he stayed behind when all the other great artists fled. The standard explanation is that he lacked moral fortitude. I think Furtwängler regarded Hitler and Nazism as a passing phase in German politics. Furtwängler had dedicated his entire life to perpetuating the traditions of German culture. An interesting point to mentioned also is the fact that he always refused to perform in halls in which swastikas were displayed! What do you all think about this contreversial figure of the Third Reich.

OMK

Post by OMK » 24 Nov 2004, 13:16

I really like Furtwangler as a conductor. I have several of his recordings and really appreciate the development he shows in his performances of Beethovens ninth from the early thirties, through the war and into his last performance of it in 1954.

As to why he stayed. He loved Germany. He could not move. As pointed out above he regarded nazism as something fleeting. Additionally he might have been a little naive and not realised that the nazis lent an aura of respectability from people like Furtwangler.

Had he chosen to move, he would certainly not have been without a job. He was considered the greatest conducto by his peers (alongside Toscanini).

He can not have been pleased with what happened to his beloved Germany. A recording of Bruckners ninth made in the Beethoven sal in Berlin in 1944 is tortured. It is pure anguish, an absolutely outstanding performance. But by then ofcourse, it was to late. He had made his bed.

I don't know why he chose to stay. Only he ever will. But I certainly don't believe he stayed behind because he had any sympathies for the regime.

OMK

Heinrich George

Post by Heinrich George » 27 Nov 2004, 20:14

Benoit Douville wrote: The crucial question which would plague Furtwängler for the rest of his life was why he stayed behind when all the other great artists fled.
Most prominent conducters stayed in Germany, including Eugen Jochum, Karl Bohm, Clemens Kraus, and Herbert von Karajan. Those that left generally were Jewish.

For more on Furtwangler: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

Max

Post by Max » 29 Nov 2004, 15:04

Have you seen the excellent film by Hungarian filmmaker Istvan Szabo ?

"Taking Sides" is about the process of "de-nazification" of conductor Wilhelm Furtwängler.
Stars Harvey Keitel and Stellan Skarsgård
[English dialog]
Really worth a look.
Max

http://www.taking-sides.com/_eng/ts/ts_index.htm

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 30 Nov 2004, 00:16

I have seen it and I like it a lot and that's what inspired me to write that message. I am also glad that the great Conductor Furtwängler was not guilty.

Regards

ffbikersar

Re: Wilhelm Furtwängler

Post by ffbikersar » 08 Nov 2016, 14:37

Furtwängler was the first conductor whose performances have been recorded on the magnetophone. Many of these recordings have been confiscated by the Soviets and now reissued on CDs.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/furt ... gs-1942-44

Return to “Music of the Reich”