Music popular in the Third Reich

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Arminiusder Cherusker1

Post by Arminiusder Cherusker1 » 09 Jan 2005 21:01

waldorf, I used to play violin in the Stadtkapelle /townband) of Rothenburg ob der Tauber during wartime. I remember that we played the music of the named composers if it was necessary. You just couldn`t play Jazz, Boogie or something else, they called it Negermusik and didn't send it on Radio.
Best Regards

Rudi

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 09 Jan 2005 22:00

Rudi,

It's great to get a first-hand perspective. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of music did you play most of the time, and what kind of music did you personally like at that time period? Did you have a favorite singer or musician?

waldorf

Post by waldorf » 10 Jan 2005 00:43

Thank you all for the information. It is especially nice to have Arminiusder Cherusker1's view since he was actually present during the time period in question. I had the chance to visit Rothenburg once and found it to be both a beautifal as well as a charming city.

W.

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 10 Jan 2005 16:07

Same here. Rothenburg (ob der Tauber, since there's another one...) is a lovely little town.

Arminiusder Cherusker1

Post by Arminiusder Cherusker1 » 11 Jan 2005 13:28

BDMhistorian wrote:Rudi,

It's great to get a first-hand perspective. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of music did you play most of the time, and what kind of music did you personally like at that time period? Did you have a favorite singer or musician?

I can't remember anymore for the special music we played at that time, because we had to play for every occasion. I prefered Mozart and Grieg or Brahms.
Rudi

OMK
Financial supporter

Post by OMK » 11 Jan 2005 14:04

It might not have been allowed, but was not universally hated: Hans von Luck mentions in his book "Panzer commander" that he found a small jazz joint in Paris that he frequented (without mentioning it widely at the time). There must have been several of them (probably more in the occupied areas than in Germany itself).

OMK

Heinrich George

Post by Heinrich George » 15 Jan 2005 20:55

Different Drummers: Jazz in the Culture of Nazi Germany:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

The page on this book has links to several other books on the subject.

Franken

Post by Franken » 10 Oct 2006 00:34

Would like to know what was popular and/or approved music in germany during the early to mid 1930. Tough for me to determine with just online searching. Can anyone out there help me out?

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 10 Oct 2006 01:50

Franken wrote:Would like to know what was popular and/or approved music in germany during the early to mid 1930. Tough for me to determine with just online searching. Can anyone out there help me out?

Besides classical and German folk music, American jazz and swing was popular among some in Germany during the 1930s and even the war despite the Reich government's displeasure and suppression of it as inferior Neger Muszik. A good book on the history of jazz during this period is Michael Kater's Different Drummers: Jazz in the Culture of Nazi Germany.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_Kids

The German Army officer, Hans Von Luck describes his love of American jazz music in his autobiography, Panzer Commander.

I have heard that some African-American jazz/swing musicians were playing in Germany at the start of the war, but I have never seen any written accounts of this.

Penn44

StephanieSklar

Post by StephanieSklar » 09 Dec 2006 10:12

Apparently there was something called "Nazi Jazz" during that period. I presume that since US jazz was officially verboten but still popular Goebbels saw it and organised for German musicians to make jazz songs w/propaganda and anti-Semitic lyrics...No source on this (yet) but I heard that one of these popular Nazi Jazz band was named "Charlie and His Orchestra".

Maybe someone else has more details? Very interesting question.

I presume that German military marches were popular at the time, plus some singers like Zarah Leander and others.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 09 Dec 2006 14:35

Lale Andersen was popular in the early 1940's although her music was banned later on because of her Jewish connections (she wasn't a Jew but some of her friends were)

She was famous for "Lili Marleen" and also "Drei Rote Rosen"

Send me a PM if you are a fan of Lale Andersen and I can sort you out with some of her original recordings.

Best regards.

lebel

Post by lebel » 11 Dec 2006 10:44

Bonjour stephanie
we discussed about the topic "Charlie & his orchestra" in this forum and you can make a search (i contributed under the name of Lavella)

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=213338

amicalement de paris
lebel

StephanieSklar

Post by StephanieSklar » 11 Dec 2006 20:32

Cool, thank you!

I didn't believe that Charlie and His Orchestra really existed before a few yrs ago...I thought it was all "post-war talk" !

Merci encore! (thanks again)!

Stef!

Karl

Post by Karl » 12 Dec 2006 05:24

Have you seen this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_Kids_(film)

I haven't but for fun maybe worth a look.

Animal

Post by Animal » 12 Dec 2006 19:30

I saw that movie at the theatre when it first came out. A very much underrated film.

Return to “Music of the Reich”