Music popular in the Third Reich

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
OMK

Post by OMK » 11 Jan 2005, 15:04

It might not have been allowed, but was not universally hated: Hans von Luck mentions in his book "Panzer commander" that he found a small jazz joint in Paris that he frequented (without mentioning it widely at the time). There must have been several of them (probably more in the occupied areas than in Germany itself).

OMK

Heinrich George

Post by Heinrich George » 15 Jan 2005, 21:55

Different Drummers: Jazz in the Culture of Nazi Germany:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

The page on this book has links to several other books on the subject.

Franken

Post by Franken » 10 Oct 2006, 01:34

Would like to know what was popular and/or approved music in germany during the early to mid 1930. Tough for me to determine with just online searching. Can anyone out there help me out?

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 10 Oct 2006, 02:50

Franken wrote:Would like to know what was popular and/or approved music in germany during the early to mid 1930. Tough for me to determine with just online searching. Can anyone out there help me out?
Besides classical and German folk music, American jazz and swing was popular among some in Germany during the 1930s and even the war despite the Reich government's displeasure and suppression of it as inferior Neger Muszik. A good book on the history of jazz during this period is Michael Kater's Different Drummers: Jazz in the Culture of Nazi Germany.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_Kids

The German Army officer, Hans Von Luck describes his love of American jazz music in his autobiography, Panzer Commander.

I have heard that some African-American jazz/swing musicians were playing in Germany at the start of the war, but I have never seen any written accounts of this.

Penn44

StephanieSklar

Post by StephanieSklar » 09 Dec 2006, 11:12

Apparently there was something called "Nazi Jazz" during that period. I presume that since US jazz was officially verboten but still popular Goebbels saw it and organised for German musicians to make jazz songs w/propaganda and anti-Semitic lyrics...No source on this (yet) but I heard that one of these popular Nazi Jazz band was named "Charlie and His Orchestra".

Maybe someone else has more details? Very interesting question.

I presume that German military marches were popular at the time, plus some singers like Zarah Leander and others.

lebel

Post by lebel » 11 Dec 2006, 11:44

Bonjour stephanie
we discussed about the topic "Charlie & his orchestra" in this forum and you can make a search (i contributed under the name of Lavella)

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=213338

amicalement de paris
lebel

StephanieSklar

Post by StephanieSklar » 11 Dec 2006, 21:32

Cool, thank you!

I didn't believe that Charlie and His Orchestra really existed before a few yrs ago...I thought it was all "post-war talk" !

Merci encore! (thanks again)!

Stef!

ipirgon

Post by ipirgon » 18 Jun 2007, 20:57

Hi

l am looking for german music which were popular.the dans music and party music are looked for.Also dinner music.however not military march.Thank you very much...

best regards
ipirgon

Ianh

Post by Ianh » 15 Jul 2007, 14:19

Hi Folks,
What I would like is some links to MP3 files of popular, folk, female, love songs, Weinachts etc music from this interesting period. Hope you all can be helpfull, thanks in advance, Ian

wenty

Post by wenty » 01 Jul 2014, 06:05

As a side note, how much influence did the Nazi propaganda machine have over what music and/or other entertainment was broadcast on the radio? I imagine it would have been considerable.

Cheers,
Adam.

Stephanie625

Post by Stephanie625 » 05 Jul 2014, 20:43

Adam...

Nazi ideology had great effect on music. As I am sure you know, swing music was banned. Also banned were works of Jewish and I *believe* Russians(?). There were many wonderful and talented Jewish composers and musicians who were put out of the business. Josef Goebbles took an active interest in shaping *positive* cabaret shows. But interestingly, when he tried to ban "Lili Marleen" because it was *bad for morale*, he had to backpedal. General Rommel enjoyed the song, and requested it be played on the radio broadcast for his Afrika Corps. This is where British soldiers heard it, and many of them could speak German. They enjoyed the song, which had a message that transcended borders, and began to sing it. A British writer criticized them for singing in German, and so they said, "That's because no one has given us English lyrics to sing!" Thus, the English version was born.

wenty

Post by wenty » 06 Jul 2014, 02:21

Hi Stephanie,

Very interesting, thanks for that!
I thought the Nazi propaganda system would have had a huge say in it......I wonder whether they ever returned the "Lili Marleen" favour by playing a bit of Vera Lynn or something on their radios.... ;)

Lord Haw Haw would not have been impressed.

Cheers,
Adam.

Stephanie625

Post by Stephanie625 » 06 Jul 2014, 04:12

I thought you might find the following interesting: http://fcit.usf.edu/holocaust/ARTS/musDegen.htm

Stephanie625

Post by Stephanie625 » 06 Jul 2014, 04:18

What I'm looking for, if you come across anything, is music that young German people might have danced or fallen in love to. It's for a book I am writing about a young German man (19 years old in 1941) who fights both in the Wehrmacht and the Waffen-SS, and it is a drama... so melancholy music is needed. I include songs in my writing, both by mentioning them directly (character is listening to the radio, or out dancing), and by listening myself while writing for inspiration.

I've found a lot of German music of the time that is upbeat, and I need something softer and more introspective.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 06 Jul 2014, 06:46

There were hundreds of songs....Most of them you can already find in this section of the Forum.
Herms Niel's songs were extremely popular and not all were strict military - eg. Antje, mein blondes Kind is a waltz.

Several Italian songs became popular in Germany - eg. La Piccinina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLJ98auHHGk

Here you have some titles, most of them available on YouTube....

Zarah Leander - Kann denn Liebe Sünde sein
Zarah Leander - Davon geht die Welt nicht unter
Zarah Leander - Ich weiß, es wird einmal ein Wunder geschehen
Rudi Schuricke - O Mia Bella Napoli
Peter Igelhoff - Der Onkel Doktor hat fesagt
Die Goldene Sieben - Oh Aha!
Michael Jary Tanzorchester mit Rudi Schuricke - J'attendrai (Komm zurück)
Lilian Harvey - Guten Tag, Liebes Glück
Lale Andersen - Lied eines jungen Wachtposten (Lili Marleen)
Lale Andersen - Es geht alles vorüber, es geht alles vorbei
Hans Albers - Goodbye, Johnny
Marika Rökk & Johannes Heesters - Musik, Musik, Musik
Marika Rökk - In der Nacht ist der Mensch nicht gern alleine
Wilhelm Strienz - Abends in der Taverne
Heinz Rühmann - Das kann doch einen Seemann nicht erschüttern
Heinz Rühmann & Hertha Feiler - Mir geht's gut
Heinz Müller Orchester - So schön wie heut'
Hans Moser - Die Reblaus
Ilse Werner - So wird's nie wieder sein
Franz Grothe - Wenn ein junger Mann kommt
Peter Igelhoff - Ich bin ganz verschossen in Deine Sommersprossen