Music popular in the Third Reich

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 20 Oct 2014 07:47

I've always liked Marlene Dietrichs Wenn die Soldaten, but who doesnt love Marlene Dietrich. Yea the Nazi's suppressed a lot of music except on the U-Boats whose commanders were known to play music that was banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Marlene Dietrich unlikely released 'Wenn die Soldaten' before 1960's.
Also I remember crew singing 'It's a long way to Tipperary' in the movie Das Boot, but it's a 1981 fiction, not documentary.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 20 Oct 2014 19:32

Watch dutch actress Carice van Houten performing Ilse Werner's "Ja, das ist meine Melodie" in Paul Verhoeven's "Black Book" (2006).

regards

Helmut

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 21 Oct 2014 01:52

I have to admit I prefer Carice's interpretation than original Ilse Werner's... :D
The same goes for "Ich bin die Fesche Lola". Marlene from 1930 is just not too convincing today, perhaps she was back then...

Comedian Harmonists were quite popular in the 20's and 30's, but as half of them were Jews, they did not perform for too long in the Third Reich...
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

uhu

Post by uhu » 23 Oct 2014 23:14

Here's pre war German TV of Ilse Werner singing "her" song.

seaburn
Financial supporter

Post by seaburn » 03 Nov 2014 00:02

Does anyone one know if the song ' Mein Kleines Herz' that Greta sang in 'Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter' was an authentic German song from the 40s or was it written just for the series ? It was quite a 'catchy' number.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 03 Nov 2014 03:38

Just written for the series, I think. :(

More than 80 years passed and unless you research the subject, most of the songs from 30's are really boring today for most people.
So more recent versions are quite popular.

I think the best example is so called "Luftwaffe March" written by Ron Goodwin for Battle of Britain movie. It's the best I've heard, and many still think it's real German march...
Last edited by GregSingh on 03 Nov 2014 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

seaburn
Financial supporter

Post by seaburn » 03 Nov 2014 08:25

Thanks 'GS' - its how fact and fiction eventually become one. I remember the tune from 'the great escape' being sung at football matches in England - I'm sure by now, there are kids who think it was a tune from those times too !

Platon

Dancing music

Post by Platon » 23 Oct 2018 03:02

Hello, I am new in this forum, and this is my first post I hope you can help me. About 30 years ago I remembered seeing in a record shop that only had European records a box with three LP's and the title was something like "Swing im Dritten Reich" it was a re-mastered set from the 1980's. As far as I know, and contrary to the popular belief, jazz, or rather swing, music was popular in the Third Reich, as it was the dancing music of the moment; it was only after the declaration of war on the USA that swing music was banned. I remember seeing some documentaries of Germany before the war, and there were big bands playing swing in elegant clubs. The question is: Do you know if there are recordings of that era? (I mean new editions)
I like big bands' music very much, and it would be great to get some German historical recordings. Thank you very much

Return to “Music of the Reich”