Third Reich sheet music

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
buffalox

Third Reich sheet music

Post by buffalox » 29 Apr 2005 20:45

Hi there,
Recently been reading the AMAZING book about Third Reich bandsmen (published by Tomahawk Films). I noticed a lot of pictures of sheet music, all of which would be COMPLETELY unavailable now of course (Die Fahne hoch, etc...). But it still exists of course. So, can anyone send me any decent quality scans of songs such as Die Fahne hoch for piano? I've already got quite a few scans from a BDM songbook, and I have a copy of an SS songbook, but I'm looking for decent piano renditions of the old favorites!

I shouldn't have to say it, but these would be entirely for my own amusement - you can only listen to a song so many times before wanting to play it (if you're a pianist I guess)!

Feel free to email or PM me!

[Several topics dealing with the same subject have been merged. Ivan Ž.]

Claymore

Post by Claymore » 01 May 2005 10:54

Hello buffalox,

I agree, the Tomahawk book is superb, it must be the only book on the subject with so many great illustrations. But it is surprising just how easy it is to find these songsheets, if you have the patience to search for them on the internet.

With regards to the 'Die Fahne hoch / Horst Wessel Lied' , a firm favourite of mine, I have posted two examples from my collection. Both are for the piano (klavier): viewtopic.php?f=81&t=103639

Regards.

buffalox

Post by buffalox » 01 May 2005 14:34

Hi there,
Many thanks for those - they are exactly the type of thing I am looking for!

You say that they are quite easy to find on the internet, but I searched and I searched with no luck! The only things I found were a whole lotta scans from two BDM songbooks. I'm usually pretty good at finding obscure things on the internet, but was completely unsuccessful in this quest - if you've got any tips please do let me know!

And if you've got any more, please post them!!

Fubbik

Post by Fubbik » 30 May 2005 14:54

Regarding the 2nd Horst-Wessel-Lied sheet there are two things to notice:

1. This introduction is not used on recordings.

2. The syllables "schossen" are on recordings played and sung on the note F, above the A given on the sheet.

Just for the record.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 21 Sep 2005 13:45

Fubbik wrote:1. This introduction is not used on recordings.

No, that particular arrangement was recorded, in 1930, by the arranger himself (Groschwitz).

buffalox wrote:Recently been reading the AMAZING book about Third Reich bandsmen (published by Tomahawk Films).

Regarding the author and his "amazing" works (scams), see the following topic: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=205121

Cheers,
Ivan

I B Piper

Post by I B Piper » 14 Jul 2007 09:54

Greetings,

I just found Claymore's scans today. This is exactly what I've been looking for. :D While the original music may be relatively easy to find in Europe, I've not found one example here in the states in 45+ years of looking. I would greatly appreciate it if the entire repertoire of Third Reich and NSDAP was scanned and posted, including solo piano, piano and voice, full score for marching band, full score for orchestra, score for fifes, drums and cymbals etc. I know that's a lot, but to me, that's just as important as the threads on decorations, small arms, edged weapons etc. The music of the era was an important tool for attracting and maintaining popular support for the regime. It's historical should not be overlooked.

Best Regards,
I B Piper

Claymore

Post by Claymore » 14 Jul 2007 22:04

....this was a thread that I thought long dead !

Since my original posting, I've found two more Horst Wessel Lied music sheets...both purchased in Europe...buying in the US at the moment is madness...I recently saw a HW Lied songsheet being sold by a US dealer (and it did sell) for a fixed price of approx $250.00, if memory serves me correct...

I had bought the same song-sheet in Europe for 25 Euros, and it was in far better condition...

I B Piper

Post by I B Piper » 15 Jul 2007 10:35

Hello Claymore,

I'm glad you're still around. Yes, prices are very high for genuine Third Reich items in the US. Sheet music seems to not exist at any price. You might find a copy of the HWL since it was recognized as the 'signature' song of the NSDAP, and may have found it's way across the Atlantic along with an Iron Cross or two.

I'm mostly interested in the music itself, rather than havng an original copy. A lot of the music sounds mediocre to my ears, but a few of the tunes really stand out as hits. One I'd like to find a scan of is the Panzerlied. Have you ever seen that one?

Cheers,

I B Piper

Wim

Post by Wim » 15 Jul 2007 12:23

Hello,

i own 5 songbooks from that time and the music sheets are with the songs i hope this is what you'r looking for:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1875071

Wim

I B Piper

Post by I B Piper » 15 Jul 2007 17:56

Wim,

Thanks for the scan.

Best Regards
I B Piper

Wim

Post by Wim » 15 Jul 2007 18:19

If you search other songs let me know and see what i can do

Wim

I B Piper

Post by I B Piper » 16 Jul 2007 10:44

Wim,

Is the Luftwaffe Marsch in any of your songbooks? That's one of the tunes from the 3rd Reich that sounds more musically appealing to my ears than most of the others. The Luftwaffe Marsch was used in the film The Battle of Britain", and that recording sounds like it was done post war, very nice. A scan from a song book would be enough for me to create a piano version. If anyone has a scan of the full score, or a reduction for piano (klavier) like the one Claymore posted for the Horst Wessel Lied, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

I B Piper

Wim

Post by Wim » 16 Jul 2007 11:34

I B piper i have to disappoint you. What i have are songbooks so only songs not just maches without vocal.

Wim

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Jul 2007 11:21

Hello, I B Piper

The so-called "Luftwaffe March" ("Aces High") is NOT a German march. It is British (it was composed by Ron Goodwin, for the movie).

Cheers,
Ivan

Wim

Post by Wim » 12 Sep 2007 12:02

Hello hello

I recently (today) got the book 'Schulmusikbuch für höhere lehranstalten' from 1936

With a lot of songsheets in it and some songs with songsheets for flüte, violine 1/3, violincello, gesang, klavier.

So any request and if it's in the book i can make a scan. Unfortunatly the book is from 1936 the marsches after 1936 i don't have in this book but maybe in one of the others.

Wim

Return to “Music of the Reich”