Herms Niel & Reichsmusikzug des RAD

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Musikus1871

Re:

Post by Musikus1871 » 06 Jan 2024 19:48

Greetings, does anyone have information on the two marching songs "Ritterkreuzträger" and "Wacht im Osten"? According to the newspaper article, Niel set the two pieces, which were written by the Nuremberg poet Prof. Dr. Eduard Herold, to music at the end of 1942. Until now, I was completely unaware of both pieces, but perhaps someone here has some information.
Thank you.

809312.jpg
Source: Westfälische Tageszeitung, 31.12.1942
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 03 Feb 2024 10:32

Thanks for the new titles, I've added them to the list of Niel's compositions.

Note that Niel also composed music for Herold's "Großdeutschlands Preisgesang" and "Frankenlied".

Cheers,
Ivan

Schmeisser

Re:

Post by Schmeisser » 28 Feb 2024 23:57

Hello! I've found a nice photo here.

csm_x061__1_von_1__1371b4bfc0.jpg
Aufnahme mit dem Heyn-Quartett und dem Musikkorps des Infanterie-Lehr-Bataillon Benedikt Tumforde am 21.4.1939. Tonmeister Ehrich sitzt im Regieraum hinter den Fenstern.
Though Tumforde recorded with Heyn-Quartett on April 21, 1939 indeed, I decided to post this photo here.

It can be seen that the musicians are in RAD uniform and the constitution and posture of the conductor reminds me of Herms Niel who recorded some tracks with Heyn-Quartett too. If I'm wrong, then Ivan, please correct me.

Regards,
Mikhail
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 29 Feb 2024 01:15

You're right, Mikhail, and that's a very nice find!

The quoted caption, which is incorrect, does not originate from the true source of the photo, the AKG-Images, but from the Emil Berliner Studios website. The AKG-Images actually had no info on the image, except that it was taken in the Grammophon studio at the Central Theatre. The rest was (mis)identified by the Emil Berliner Studios website. The only thing they got right was the vocal group, which was indeed Heyn-Quartett. And since Niel, as far as is known, had only one recording session with Heyn-Quartett at Grammophon, we can date the photo 8 February 1939 (we can also see that the "Blasorchester Herms Niel", as the band was credited on record labels for this session, was indeed Reichsmusikzug des RAD, as suspected). Also, the audio engineer in this session wasn't Ehrich, whom the website credited, but Blaesche.

Here's the uncropped version of the photo with the archival caption:
AKG5115915.jpg
Berlin, Central-Theater Deutsche Grammophon, Militärkapelle. Berlin, Bezirk Kreuzberg, Stadtteil Luisenstadt, Central-Theater, Alte Jakobstraße 30-32 (erbaut 1865 als Ball- und Tanzlokal Orpheum; ab 1869 Theater; ab 1938 genutzt von der Deutschen Grammophon für Schallplattenaufnahmen; 1945 zerstört; Reste 1952 gesprengt). Innenansicht des Saales mit Vokalensemble und Militärkapelle während einer Aufnahme. Foto, anonym, undatiert, um 1939/1945.
Cheers,
Ivan

Schmeisser

Re:

Post by Schmeisser » 29 Feb 2024 11:50

Thanks! I've tried to find the photo on AKG but it seems that I used wrong key words :roll:

Jerard Maiki

Re:

Post by Jerard Maiki » 29 Feb 2024 15:37

Thank you Mikhail for the photo and Ivan for the info and the uncropped version, that's a really nice find indeed!

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Tavern Waltz

Post by Ivan Ž. » 03 Apr 2024 23:09

USA

Tavern Waltz
Melody: Erika (Auf der Heide blüht ein kleines Blümelein) [Walzerlied]/ Composer: Herms Niel
Arranger: Tedy Demey
Publisher: Southern Music Publishing Co., Inc., New York, 1940
A rare original (1940) vocal recording of the American version of "Erika":
https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/ ... vern_waltz
I've never found a lyricist credited for this song in books of copyright entries or on record labels (I suspected Demey might have been one, but he was always credited as co-composer). As far as I can hear, it begins with the line "All those happy nights we swayed the tavern waltz..."

Here's also a postwar American vocal version, with lyrics more similar to the original German ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4yJ0HRM2_Q
As far as I can hear, the opening line is "On a mountain blooms a flower so sweet and rare..."

Return to “Music of the Reich”