Misc FJ units in Holland, 1944

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Tom Peters

Re: Misc FJ units in Holland, 1944

Post by Tom Peters » 05 Apr 2010, 03:40

I finished reviewing the last 5 rolls, and I found more FJ Balzereit references. Maybe another month before I enter all of them [bangs head on desk]. THis project will last forever. And a day.

Mad Dog

A.C.E. van T.

Re: misc Fj units in Holland, 1944

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 05 Apr 2010, 17:46

Ypenburg wrote:
A.C.E. van T. wrote:First 2 : Not Bergen op Zoom /Roosendaal Region,was to cold and rainy in October.Maybe Market Garden
If you look at the door in the centre of the wall, the wooden parts covering the windows, and the roll-down shutters, it is obviously that this is NOT Bergen op Zoom, not Arnhem, not Nijmegen just NOT Holland. It's either France or Italy.

My familie is from Bergen op Zoom and use to live at Oude Moerstraatsebaan.
It's near where Wasserij de Zoom and the Likeurfabriek were.
That's were 10FJR6 fought.
At the second floor one of FJR6 died and the bloodstain was unremoveble.
Believe me ALL HOUSES HAD WOODEN SHUTTERS LIKE THAT.
THEY ARE SOME SORT OF ROUND POLES HOLD TOGETHER BIJ FABRIC AND A BELT TO PULL THEM UP OR DOWN.
AND MAKE A TREMENDOUS NOISE
AND ALL OVER THE CITY CENTRE YOU'LL FIND OLD BUILDINGS.
Lievevrouwestraat,Hoogstraat,MARKIEZENHOF etc (TRY : GOOGLE ,MAP ,SATELITE , YELLOW MAN . And go down the streets yourself)
For the electricitystakes:I STILL REMEMBER THAT WE HAD THOSE.
THAT"S THE PROBLEM WITH HOLLAND .WE DESTROY EVERYTHING THAT"S OLD.
A.C.E. van T. wrote:3rd :Possible,but don't recognize anything
Again, the buildings, the wooden parts covering the windows, the fences, the electricitystakes you see...NOT Dutch
A.C.E. van T. wrote:4th :Possible,if it's the West side of the Brabantse Wall they're facing
For Bergen op Zoom Region there are only a few places that are possible.
Nope. If you look at the buildings the "height" is to high and to steep for Holland. The only thing that comes a little close would be the Grebbeberg, and is in not, or the south of Limburg but then the forest is to long (left-right).

Go
GOOGLE : RIJZENDE WEG WOENSDRECHT(Part of Rommels HQ Artillery was placed here),MAPS,SATELITE ,
Brabantse Wall runs from Putte to Steenbergen.Most part is Forrest and over 30meter hights
Sorry to say but NOT Holland for sure.

JKernwerk

Post by JKernwerk » 28 Dec 2012, 18:02

Hi there,
I found this in the former achive of Mr Rooze, it is now residing in the NIMH (Nederlands Intituut Militaire Historie) in The Hague (The Netherlands).
It is a part of a list of small units that appeared in KTB's.
Sometimes it is just the name of the unit but most of the time also the whole message and the pagenumber of the KTB is there.
Fallschirm Jg.-Btl. Wittstock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fallschirm Jg.Btl. Tuchstein
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fallschirm Jg.-Btl. Jungwirth
[49.0705] +/- 24.9.1944 onder command of 245. ID.
Fallschirm Btl. Stephan
[470757 blz.517 KTB Gen,Kdo. LXXXVIII. AK]
19.9.1944 20.00 Uhr.
Im Laufe des Nachmittags sei bei Rgt. von der Heydte ein Durchbruch mit fdl.Panzern erfolgt und besonders die 7. Kp des Fsch.-Jg.Btl. Stephan sei überrannt.

Fsch.-Jg.Btl. Stephan sei z.T. ausgewichen, ohne einmal auf die Feindpanzer mit angehängter Infanterie auf Lkw's zu schießen.

Gen.Lt. Chill hat die Lage wiederhergestellt und das Fsch.Jg.Btl Stephan dem Rgt. von der Heydte unterstellt.

Oberstleutnant Stephan ist als Kommandant von Brückenwachen bestellt worden.

[probably is from this moment Btl. Stephan the 4th Btl. of Fsch.- Jg.Rgt. 6]
Fallschirm Jg.-Btl. Hanke
Fallschirm Pz.Jg.Abteilung Grünwald
[?] 12.10.1944 1./Pz.Jg.Abt.Grünwald o/b 59.I.D. (Kräfte= 1 Offz.,
7 Uffz., 33 Mannsch.)
The Division receives the order to send this Kp. to Utrecht.
Fallschirm Jg.-Btl. Grass
Fallschirm Jg.-Btl. Gramse
Fallschirm Jg.-Btl. Ewald
Fallschirm Jg.-Btl. Bloch
[49.0705] +/- 24.9.1944 Under command of Kpfgr. Chill (= 85. ID)

I think i have some more from a Fallschirmjäger book but it is on loan at the moment.
Greetings Jack.

JKernwerk

Post by JKernwerk » 28 Dec 2012, 19:55

Kriegsberichter wrote:Hi Mad Dog,

stationed at Nijmegen (klooster Nebo) was stationed 'Lehrstabes für Offizierausbildung des Fallschirm A.O.K. 1' under command of Oberst Hartung, with 95 Stammpersonal and 14 Lehrgangteilnehmer.

(did you get the Krafft papers?)

Peter (Holland)
Dear Peter,
This klooster is that still there?
And where is it placed?
I searched Google Earth but i could not find a Klooster Nebo.
Near the two kloosters bunkers were built to make shelter for the people there.
But we do not know if they are still there and for whom they were built, it could be they were for children that were placed outside the big German cities because these were bombed.
By the way are these Krafft papers about Arnhem?
I have some interrogations of Helle and other soldiers that fought at Arnhem.
JK

A.C.E. van T.

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 28 Jan 2013, 15:35

Maybe this is what you refereed to

http://vimeo.com/7937772

JKernwerk

Post by JKernwerk » 10 Apr 2013, 22:54

Could well be,
But i think the bunkers were built at another place.
Greetings Jack.

FredT

Post by FredT » 12 Dec 2023, 06:19

Am I correct to interpret "aufgeteiltes Btl Stephan" in the attached Gliederung to mean that Btl Stephan was broken up to reinforce I, II, and III/FJ 6?

Kershaw says that IV/FJ 6 was the heavy weapons battalion. This makes some sense because it didn't receive any of Stephan's men, and in the 1-10-44 situation map (T314-1624 frame 260) IV does not have its own sector. Am I correct here, or was IV a regular battalion?
KG Chill 24-9-44.png

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”