German Awards - Real or Fake

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
VC89

German Awards - Real or Fake

Post by VC89 » 30 Aug 2013 22:52

Hello,
I have some German awards in my collection of which i'm not sure that they are real. I hope someone here can authenticate them. More pics can be uploaded if needed.

(PS: In case they are fake, can you tell me what is wrong with them so I know it for the future.)

1) Spanish Cross (Bronze)

On the back it is stamped: GES.GESCH. MUNICH 9

2) Wound Badge 14-18 (Black)

3) Tank Battle Badge (Gold?)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rlimike

Re: German Awards - Real or Fake

Post by rlimike » 31 Aug 2013 11:54

I don't know about the WB , but the tank badge is a very bad cast repro ands the SCIB is also a known repro with fantasy mm.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 31 Aug 2013 12:13

VC89,
I guess I'll be the one to bear the "bad news"......all are, IMO, reproductions (Fake).

1. The Spanish Cross.....Wrong "finish", wrong pin and catch, NEVER had these "sham" markings....poor quality when compared to an original.
2. 1918 Blk. Wound Badge....(these came in so many variations it's hard to be 100% sure) but the "blunt tip pin" is a "RED FLAG"! (also notice the metal itself is thicker in places (cast) not struck from a "sheet", as it should be!)
3. Silver Panzer Badge- reverse is horrible, wrong pin setup...(for that variation catch), also the reverse "edge" is uneven/raised, again shows casting, not "die struck" like originals.... other things are too blurry to comment on, but it's not original IMO.

Sorry to be the one with the bad news on these.... anyone who collects has, or has had, thier share of fakes, it's part of the learning process... so don't feel too bad. Hopefully they didn't cost you "much" (if anything)....
John G.
(Just saw the "Rlimike" beat me....but that's two opinions....)

William Kramer
Host - Militaria sections

Post by William Kramer » 31 Aug 2013 21:15

can't comment on the WW1 wound badge but the Panzer Assault and Spanish Cross are fakes for sure.

William Kramer

VC89

Post by VC89 » 31 Aug 2013 23:22

Thanks for the reactions. I had prepared myself for the worst but was secretly hoping for my wound badge to be real.

This is why I don't like buying German stuff. There is too many fake and you (almost) need to be an expert or you pay too much for some junk.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 12 Oct 2013 21:31

VC89 wrote: This is why I don't like buying German stuff. There is too many fake and you (almost) need to be an expert or you pay too much for some junk.
You made a couple of elementary mistakes I'm afraid, a) you went in alone ... if you'd asked for help about the Spanish Cross or the PAB even I could've told you they were pbvious fakes and b) You aimed too high, too soon ... the Spanish Cross is a much-faked award, buy cheap and textbook and you would have been able to study them and known there were obvious faults on these items.

Sorry.

Cheers, Ian.

sauron_r

Post by sauron_r » 01 Nov 2013 11:55

Always compare the medals to known originals unless you are 100% certain. Or just post them on a forum, it will save you a lot of cash.

Cabin8730

Post by Cabin8730 » 08 Feb 2024 07:53

Okay here is a German cross in gold marked 2 on the pin. I think it is more than likely a fake. I believe it is supposed to have 4 rivets at least if I’m not mistaken. However it looks as though there may be another one just up from the catch for the pin or under it maybe. There is some residue on the back of the medal and I’m not real sure what it is or why it’s on there. Kinda makes the back look more bland but I think it is on there most likely to help protect the medal as there is also a slick type film on the front you can feel in most places but it’s worn off in a few.

So when I say one river may be behind the catch I know that shouldn’t be but I also think if it happens to be real that isn’t the original catch. It may have been bent and broken off or hit by something that knocked it off. The reason I say it may be is that if this is a repro it is the best one and closest to real of this medal I’ve ever seen let alone held

I would like thoughts or input or anything anyone may wish to add or knowledge you have that you could bestow upon me. It would all be very well appreciated. Thank you!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 16 Feb 2024 01:50

Of course it is a fake as you assume

poweredinflation

Post by poweredinflation » 17 Feb 2024 12:57

I appreciate your feedback. It's understandable to have mixed emotions, especially when hoping for a genuine item like the wound badge. Dealing with German memorabilia can indeed be challenging due to the prevalence of counterfeit items. It often requires expertise to discern authenticity, and unfortunately, there's always the risk of paying a premium for something that turns out to be subpar. It's frustrating to navigate, but with diligence and caution, you can hopefully find authentic pieces without falling victim to scams or overpaying for counterfeit goods.

Return to “Axis Awards”