An Oberleutnant's Take on the Distribution of High Awards in the East

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
pintere
Financial supporter

An Oberleutnant's Take on the Distribution of High Awards in the East

Post by pintere » 17 Mar 2024 03:59

An interesting excerpt regarding the views of Heer soldiers on the distribution of high awards such as the Knight's Cross and German Cross in Gold. Essentially, the Oberleutnant who wrote the excerpt demands that a higher proportion of high awards be given to the infantry, and that there should be a clear uniform badge for those who've been named in the Honour Roll. It's hard to say if the first request made any real difference in the distribution of high awards, but on the other hand the Honour Roll Clasp was introduced just a few months after the date on the excerpt. Coincidence? Perhaps. It certainly could've have played a role at least.

Excerpt from report on submitting more RK to the lower ranks of the infantry RW 59_363 copy.jpg

Source: RW 59/363
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wwilson

Re: An Oberleutnant's Take on the Distribution of High Awards in the East

Post by wwilson » 18 Mar 2024 17:22

"Das verbittert" does not translate to, "That makes no sense", so far as I know. More like, "It encourages a sense of bitterness", or "That embitters".

Cheers

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 19 Mar 2024 10:49

Also, the translation of "Feld-, Wald- und Wieseninfanterie" as "infantry who fight 'in field, forest and meadow'" is incorrect. "Garden variety infantry" is more like it.

The German phrase "Feld-, Wald- und Wiesen-" is used (in a slightly derogatory or ironic and often self-deprecating way) to describe somthing that is common, ordinary and unremarkable.

pintere
Financial supporter

Post by pintere » 20 Mar 2024 01:20

wwilson wrote:
18 Mar 2024 17:22
"Das verbittert" does not translate to, "That makes no sense", so far as I know. More like, "It encourages a sense of bitterness", or "That embitters".

Cheers
I thought about how to translate that short sentence for a while. "That embitters" would indeed be a more correct translation technically, but I wanted to translate it so that it would capture the spirit of the text in a way that sounds more natural to a native english speaker. Maybe I could've chosen something better, but there we go.

HPL2008 wrote:
19 Mar 2024 10:49
Also, the translation of "Feld-, Wald- und Wieseninfanterie" as "infantry who fight 'in field, forest and meadow'" is incorrect. "Garden variety infantry" is more like it.

The German phrase "Feld-, Wald- und Wiesen-" is used (in a slightly derogatory or ironic and often self-deprecating way) to describe somthing that is common, ordinary and unremarkable.
Thanks for mentioning that! I had assumed as much from the context, but clarification from a native German speaker is always welcome.

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 30 Mar 2024 09:38

@pintere

I hear you. Translation is very much an art.

Cheers

Return to “Axis Awards”