Luftschutz Ehrenzeichen 1.Stufe

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
W.Vermeer

Luftschutz Ehrenzeichen 1.Stufe

Post by W.Vermeer » 15 Sep 2008, 22:55

I am desperately seeking a photo of a boxed version of the Luftschutz Ehrenzeichen 1.Stufe.
The 2.Stufe is everywhere to be found with the box, also the 1.Stufe without the box. But I need to see the boxed version of the 1.Stufe. Was the box the same as the 2.stufe but wit just another text?

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Luftschutz Ehrenzeichen 1.Stufe

Post by John G. » 22 Sep 2008, 14:32

W.Vermeer,
As you can tell from the response, anything to do with the Luftschutz Cross 1st Cl. award "case"/"box" is pretty much unknown. I don't recall every seeing any referance to the box, anywhere.....however because it was such a "high" award I'd expect to to be more than just a simple cardboard box (or envelope) like the 2nd Cl. Probably more like the Olympic Medal box....a "notch-above" the normal.....but that's pure speculation.....if you do comeup with a photo or description...please share it as I'd like to know, for one.

Be very careful, as "NEW" boxes are being made (for just about everything)....some accurate and some fantasy.....so being boxed doesn't necessarily prove originality (of either/both).....
John G.

W.Vermeer

Post by W.Vermeer » 22 Sep 2008, 15:12

Thanks so far, well it is not for me to buy or what, we are just searching for an exemple of it so we can describe in what box it was presented. I personally do not think it came in such a very special box, but one mere like the 1st Class Polizei Ehrenzeichen.

John G.

Post by John G. » 22 Sep 2008, 19:53

W.Vermeer,
I meant a box like the Polizei L.S. ......that's a notch above the cardboard box....but again, only guessing. Truely one of the rarer German Awards.....most of the examples "out there" are highly suspect.....considering only around 150 were awarded.
John G.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 26 Mar 2014, 14:54

An old thread but I thought I would add this for reference. First the photos then the story ...

Last weekend Jackie and I went to Malvern for my birthday celebration (there 'happened' to be Malvern Militaria Fair that weekend as well :wink: ) so at the fair this medal 'walked in' on the day and a dealer bought a small blue carrier bag of assorted medals and badges (everything I saw was original but beaten up), I was talking to him shortly afterwards and he pulled a few things out ... one was a badly damaged Fire Service Cross with most of the enamel broken and glued back in ... this Luftschutz Cross had a long service ribbon on it and the 4 year long service medal had the Luftschutz ribbon on it. At first I said I didn't want it but after I drove back to the hotel (3 miles away) I KNEW if I didn't go back for the medal I would regret it for ever.

So there you have it.

Ian

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 26 Mar 2014, 18:50

Nice example of a zinc cross. These are pretty hard to find, you did the right thing. The case, now that is a very hard item to find. Together with the miniature. The tombak piece is nearly unfindable.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 26 Mar 2014, 19:34

Not bad for £100 then ? :wink:

Ian

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 26 Mar 2014, 19:43

Dear Ian, what can one say: ROBER, ROBER. Well done. These are extremely hard to find. Many good copies, but yours is right on the money, please excuse the pun.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 26 Mar 2014, 20:09

Cheers, to be fair it was the condition that was putting me off ... I collect in 'sets' and felt my aluminium and zinc 2 stufe would be forever missing their illustrious companion.

Early 'Lightweight' Aluminium (14g) on the left, later 'Heavy' Zinc (30g) on the right. :thumbsup:

Ian

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 26 Mar 2014, 21:03

Nice 2nd class medals. The 1st class will look very well with these. The condition is what one finds with the zinc cross. So you have it as I would expect. Mine is the same.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 26 Mar 2014, 21:23

Congratulations :thumbsup: from what I'm hearing there can't be many in circulation ... allegedly only 150 issued, perhaps a couple of thousand manufactured ? Who knows.

Ian.

William Kramer

Post by William Kramer » 30 Mar 2014, 01:15

Ian Hulley wrote:Not bad for £100 then ? :wink:

Ian
Congrats!

William Kramer

matthew4108

Post by matthew4108 » 09 Sep 2018, 05:44

Better late than never: The First Class Luftschutz Medal came in pretty much the same type of box as its 2nd class counterpart with the exception of the description on the lid of course. Same material, same color, same size as pictured below. As everything else, those too have been reproduced but luckily for us, with a low degree of accuracy.

As a side note- the 1 class cross as shown above is a post war reproduction medal of a S&L design.
Attachments
luft1case.png
luft1case.png (477.67 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

Return to “Axis Awards”