Ordenskissen

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
AlifRafikKhan

Ordenskissen

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 12 Dec 2009, 16:51

I found one picture from ebay and it said : "Walter Schuck with unidentified Ordenskissen"...

Actually, what is Ordenskissen, a collection of badges?

Thank you in advance! :)
Attachments
AL Walter Schuck with unidentified Ordenskissen.jpeg
AL Walter Schuck with unidentified Ordenskissen.jpeg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 2326 times

USAF1986

Re: Ordenskissen

Post by USAF1986 » 12 Dec 2009, 18:51

It’s an old German military tradition to display a fallen soldier’s orders and decorations on a black pillow or cushion (Ordenskissen) at his funeral.

There are several photos of the two Ordenskissen displayed at Reinhard Heydrich’s funeral on the AHF forum.

Best regards,
Shawn

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 12 Dec 2009, 19:01

Thank you Shawn! :D

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 12 Dec 2009, 19:08

Here is a photo of the funeral of WWI fighter pilot Max Immelmann held at Douai, France on June 22, 1916. Note his Ordenskissen placed at the foot of the casket and the leather crash helmet sitting on the casket itself.

Also, if you search for Rommel funeral on Google, you can find many images/vidoes showing his Ordenskissen being carried in the procession.

Best regards,
Shawn

SOURCE: O’Connor, Neal W. Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany in World War I and the Men Who Earned Them – Volume III: Aviation Awards of the Kingdom of Saxony. Foundation of Aviation World War I, Princeton, New Jersey, 1993.
Attachments
Immelmann funeral.jpg
Immelmann funeral.jpg (127.03 KiB) Viewed 2319 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 16 Dec 2009, 14:44

The funeral of Otto Skorzeny with ordenskissen presented. I don't know about his other badges, apart from the known one?

Source : http://www.forosegundaguerra.com/viewto ... sc&start=0
Attachments
funeralskorzenycemalmudenamadr.jpg
funeralskorzenycemalmudenamadr.jpg (89.73 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
funeralskorzeny8jl.jpg
funeralskorzeny8jl.jpg (79.81 KiB) Viewed 2250 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 16 Dec 2009, 14:59

Another look at Skorzeny's Ordenskissen...

Source : http://www.zweiterweltkrieg.org/phpBB2/ ... =45&t=1441
Attachments
skorfune0gggg0.jpg
skorfune0gggg0.jpg (71.23 KiB) Viewed 2249 times

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 18 Dec 2009, 02:05

Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross with Oakleaves
German Cross in Gold
Army Honor Roll Clasp
Iron Cross, 1st Class (1939)
Medal for the Winter Campaign in Russia 1941/1942 (“East Medal”)
Commemorative Medal of 13 March 1938
Commemorative Medal of 1 October 1938 with Prague Castle Clasp
Wound Badge in Black
Wound Badge in Silver
General Assault Badge
Luftwaffe Combined Pilot/Observer Badge in Gold with Diamonds
Order of the Holy Crown of Hungary, Commander Grade with War Decoration and Swords
Italian Arditi Cross – commemorative medal awarded by the F.N.A.I. (Federazione Nazionale Arditi d'Italia)

Best regards,
Shawn

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 18 Jul 2010, 02:53

Ordenskissen in the funeral of Major Fritz Prager...

Source: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... ost4121119
Attachments
Prager funeral2.jpg
Prager funeral2.jpg (80.07 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 05 Aug 2010, 05:03

Ordenskissen of Hans-Ulrich Rudel, the greatest of all!! :)

Source: http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=1014766
Attachments
's ordenskissen.jpg
's ordenskissen.jpg (40.63 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 12 Nov 2010, 22:56

Ordenskissen of Reinhard Heydrich...

Source: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... 855&page=6
Attachments
's funeral.jpg
's funeral.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

slacky

Post by slacky » 16 Nov 2010, 13:13

AlifRafikKhan wrote:The funeral of Otto Skorzeny with ordenskissen presented. I don't know about his other badges, apart from the known one?

Source : http://www.forosegundaguerra.com/viewto ... sc&start=0

Weres those medals Otto's original awarded medals ?

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 04 Sep 2011, 15:59

A soldier of the West German Bundeswehr holds a display of war medals and awards of the late Franz Halder, whose body lies in state in Munich on April 6, 1972. Halder was Hitler's chief of staff from 1938 until 1942 when he was dismissed by Hitler. He was later imprisoned in the Flossenburg concentration camp and transferred to the Dachau concentration camp for being part of a conspiracy against Hitler. (AP Photo/Dieter Endlicher)
Source: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... 1990/page3
Attachments
Ordenskissen cushion pillow of Franz Halder in funeral ceremony.jpg
Ordenskissen cushion pillow of Franz Halder in funeral ceremony.jpg (42.88 KiB) Viewed 1732 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 20 Jan 2012, 14:35

On Saturday, 28 October 1916, Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke lay dead near his aircraft in an open field, as would his most successful student, Manfred von Richthofen, 80 weeks and one day later. Boelcke had been so successful in the world's most dangerous profession front-line combatant - that he seemed to be impervious to death. Richthofen expressed it best: '... we flew against the enemy under the leadership of The Great Man. One always had the most secure feeling when he was along. There was only one Boelcke.' Richthofen described his idol's last moments on that autumn afternoon: 'Boelcke, some other gentlemen of the Jagdstaffel and I were involved in air combat with Englishmen. Suddenly I saw that Boelcke, while attacking an Englishman, was rammed by one of our gentlemen in the air. Nothing further happened to the other poor gentleman. At first Boelcke descended quite normally. I followed him immediately. [Moments] later, one of the wings broke away and he rushed into the abyss. His skull was crushed on impact, killing him instantly.'

Boelcke had accidentally collided with Leutnant Erwin Böhme, who survived and went on to become a significant fighter ace. Richthofen (arrowed) was accorded the special honour of carrying the pillow bearing his leader's awards at the funeral service in Cambrai. Later he wrote about Boelcke in terms that would be used to describe Richthofen
himself: 'It is characteristic [of Boelcke] that every person who met him imagined that he had been best friends with him ... People whose names he never knew believed that they were especially close to him. It is a peculiar phenomenon that I have observed only with him. He never had a personal enemy. He was equally pleasant to everyone, not more so to some and less so to others. The one person who perhaps stood closest to him was the one who had the ... accident with him.'

Surprisingly for a prominent air warrior, Oswald Boelcke received only fourteen awards, compared to the 24 decorations ultimately bestowed on Manfred von Richthofen. The black velvet Ordenskissen (Cushion with Decorations) which Richthofen carried at the funeral, seen here, displayed Boelcke's Pour Ie Merite at the top. In the first row from left: Army Pilot's Badge; Iron Cross 2nd Class; Kingdom of Prussia's Knight's Cross of the Royal Order of the House of Hohenzollern with Swords; Prussia's Life-Saving Medal; Duchy of Anhalt's House Order of Albert the Bear Knight's Crosses 1st and 2nd Class with Swords; Duchy of Anhalt's Friedrich Cross; Kingdom of Bavaria's Merit Order 4th Class with Swords; Ottoman Empire's Pilot's Badge. Second row from left: Kingdom of Bulgaria's Bravery Order 2nd Degree; Kingdom of Württemberg's Knight's Cross of the Military Merit Order; Iron Cross 1st Class; Ottoman Empire's Imtiaz Medal in Silver.

In his letter of 3 November 1916, Richthofen saw Boelcke's final honours within the perspective of other events: 'During the funeral service I carried the Ordenskissen. The ceremony was like that for a reigning prince. In six weeks we have had six dead and one wounded, two men with their nerves shot and twelve aeroplanes lost. Yesterday I shot down my seventh [enemy aeroplane], and disposed of the sixth shortly before that. Through all these hard times my nerves have not suffered.'
Source: "The Illustrated Red Baron" by Peter Kilduff
Attachments
31 Ordenskissen medal pillow Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke.jpg
30 Oswald Boelcke funeral Manfred von Richthofen.jpg
30 Dead body of Oswald Boelcke.jpg

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 20 Jan 2012, 20:41

AlifRafikKhan wrote:I found one picture from ebay and it said : "Walter Schuck with unidentified Ordenskissen"...
Maybe,is the Major Horst Carganico "Ordenskissen",Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG 5,fallen on May 27,1944. Regards!
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 21 Jan 2012, 05:03

Hi Von Thoma, why do you think it's Carganico's Ordenskissen?

Return to “Axis Awards”