Balkan Shield?

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
einwehrmann2

Balkan Shield?

Post by einwehrmann2 » 08 Mar 2012, 02:37

I have never heard of a Balkan Shield. If the felt is any indication of quality, I doubt if this is real. Or is it even worse - a Fantasy piece? Here's another one for the Rogue's Gallary, no doubt. :lol:
Attachments
BALKAN.jpg
BALKAN.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 1447 times

HFK

Re: Balkan Shield?

Post by HFK » 08 Mar 2012, 05:17

Hello Einwehrmann,
The Balkan Shield, designed by Benno Arent, was planned. A few design specimens, in 2 variations were produced, and then the idea of production and issue was droppped. The shield in the photo is the first variety.
Regards, Harry

einwehrmann2

Post by einwehrmann2 » 08 Mar 2012, 06:09

HFK wrote:Hello Einwehrmann,
The Balkan Shield, designed by Benno Arent, was planned. A few design specimens, in 2 variations were produced, and then the idea of production and issue was droppped. The shield in the photo is the first variety.
Regards, Harry
Do you think it may be real? That felt sure is not real. It would be nice if I had a pix of the back. I'll work on that.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 08 Mar 2012, 16:42

You needn't bother....the pictured shield is a "well known" fake....there are NO KNOW/RECONGIZED as real versions.....so don't even waste your time.....
John G.

einwehrmann2

Post by einwehrmann2 » 08 Mar 2012, 18:15

John G. wrote:You needn't bother....the pictured shield is a "well known" fake....there are NO KNOW/RECONGIZED as real versions.....so don't even waste your time.....
John G.
Thanks John - I guess that is why I have never seen, or even heard of one before. :roll:

William Kramer

Post by William Kramer » 08 Mar 2012, 21:17

Hello there,

You seem to run across a lot of fakes. With that being said, the old saying of "you get what you pay for" comes into play as I'm willing to bet you aren't looking in the right places as you're looking to get something innexpensive. If it is too good to be true it probably is. I would recommend sticking to purchasing either from reputable dealers or from other forum members via the "for sale" section. These sources come with a safety net from being taken advantage of. Just my two cents, but it is obvious that you need to get some books and spend some time on the forums to learn what to look for in originals. Balkan shields were never produced, and educated collectors know this. You are looking in the wrong places for authentic militaria and if you want to be a part of this hobby I would look elsewhere or else you're going to be stuck with a pile of fake junk. Its your money, spend it how you wish, but I'd be very careful when dealing with anyone trying to pass of a Balkan shield to a collector as and "authentic" item. This is nothing personal, and I am trying to help you so it is up to you if you're going to take the advice or not.

William Kramer

rlimike

Post by rlimike » 09 Mar 2012, 01:27

You should also avoid the Arnhem shield, the Stalingrad shield, the Ardennes shield, the Warsaw shield and last but not least the Budapest shield.

einwehrmann2

Post by einwehrmann2 » 09 Mar 2012, 03:34

William Kramer wrote:Hello there,

You seem to run across a lot of fakes. With that being said, the old saying of "you get what you pay for" comes into play as I'm willing to bet you aren't looking in the right places as you're looking to get something innexpensive. If it is too good to be true it probably is. I would recommend sticking to purchasing either from reputable dealers or from other forum members via the "for sale" section. These sources come with a safety net from being taken advantage of. Just my two cents, but it is obvious that you need to get some books and spend some time on the forums to learn what to look for in originals. Balkan shields were never produced, and educated collectors know this. You are looking in the wrong places for authentic militaria and if you want to be a part of this hobby I would look elsewhere or else you're going to be stuck with a pile of fake junk. Its your money, spend it how you wish, but I'd be very careful when dealing with anyone trying to pass of a Balkan shield to a collector as and "authentic" item. This is nothing personal, and I am trying to help you so it is up to you if you're going to take the advice or not.

William Kramer
FOR YOUR INFO I stated it was a fake. I KNEW it was a fake. I just posted it so that OTHERS could benefit from seeing it. Spare me the lectures, ok? Instead read what I wrote,.

einwehrmann2

Post by einwehrmann2 » 09 Mar 2012, 03:47

rlimike wrote:You should also avoid the Arnhem shield, the Stalingrad shield, the Ardennes shield, the Warsaw shield and last but not least the Budapest shield.
Never heard of any of those either. What kind of cigarettes are you smoking? Been to Holland? :lol:

William Kramer

Post by William Kramer » 09 Mar 2012, 04:45

einwehrmann2 wrote: Thanks John - I guess that is why I have never seen, or even heard of one before. :roll:
Didn't mean to offend, it just seemed you had never heard of one before.

William Kramer

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 09 Mar 2012, 04:50

einwehrmann2 wrote:
rlimike wrote:You should also avoid the Arnhem shield, the Stalingrad shield, the Ardennes shield, the Warsaw shield and last but not least the Budapest shield.
Never heard of any of those either. What kind of cigarettes are you smoking? Been to Holland? :lol:
Arnhem shield
http://www.militarytourstore.com/reprod ... hield.html

Stalingrad shield
http://www.landser.com/stalingrad_shield.aspx

Warsaw shield
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6276678

Budapest shield
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/108 ... est-shield

Are you aware of "Google"? Maybe you should quit smoking the "Dutch" cigarettes, and invest the money saved in some decent reference books. John G has been more than accommodating to you answering your never ending questions. I would have cut you loose a long time ago. Eventually he and others are going to get tired of baby sitting you and leave you to the mercy of the wolves, much to the detriment of you pocket book.

later
Larry
Last edited by Laurence Strong on 10 Mar 2012, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.

rlimike

Post by rlimike » 09 Mar 2012, 13:22

einwehrmann2 wrote:
Also if you come across any Lappland shields that are machine stamped they are not any good either. :lol: :lol:

einwehrmann2

Balkan Shield?

Post by einwehrmann2 » 11 Mar 2012, 02:42

Laurence Strong wrote:
einwehrmann2 wrote:
Arnhem shield
http://www.militarytourstore.com/reprod ... hield.html

Stalingrad shield
http://www.landser.com/stalingrad_shield.aspx

Warsaw shield
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6276678

Budapest shield
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/108 ... est-shield

Are you aware of "Google"? Maybe you should quit smoking the "Dutch" cigarettes, and invest the money saved in some decent reference books. John G has been more than accommodating to you answering your never ending questions. I would have cut you loose a long time ago. Eventually he and others are going to get tired of baby sitting you and leave you to the mercy of the wolves, much to the detriment of you pocket book.

later
Larry
I know you will not believe me, and to tell the truth I don't give a fat rat's asp if you do or not, but about half of my questions I already know the answer to the question. I just asked the questions to liven the forum up a little bit. Look at the other forums, and you will know why I did it! I didn't realize what a chore it was to answer my questions, or no doubt I would not have asked so many. That is all going to change. I will ask no more questions, or submit photos so that Dieter can move them. I won't quit the forum, but I will not participate in it any longer. I'd like to further respond to your insults, Larry, but then I would get booted off the forum, so you get a free ride. :welcome:

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 11 Mar 2012, 05:00

Allright guys, relax.
rlimike is correct when he listed those fantasy shields to beware of.Lappland one also.

einwehrmann2..stay a member, and participate, I, and others have been kind of giving you a hard time since you joined.

Sometimes we have the**are you kidding** attitude to others, after you collect for ,like me 40 years, you get a little jaded and cynical.

John G.

Post by John G. » 11 Mar 2012, 14:28

Einwehrmann2....
Your additude and reaction to rliike is completely out of line....you have only yourself to blame for anyone's frustration at answering all your basic, beginner, B.S. questions. I've done everything I could to answere you honestly.
However, it is alot of effort, I don't appreciate wasting my time, I'm not a barking seal.....I thought you were a 14 year old newbee collector who doesn't know anything (and thats what your posts "said you are")..playing silly games is for other forums. That will cease!

If you want to "go silient"....that's your business. If you continue here you'll need a change of additude, you are way out of line at this point with me!

What you do is in your hands....
John G.

Return to “Axis Awards”