Clean and restore Militaria

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
NewCollector

Clean and restore Militaria

Post by NewCollector » 07 Apr 2017, 17:22

A guy I know was in Berlin and went to some sort of flea market. He found a german cross type of medal which I identified as an War Merit Cross 1st class. It's hard to tell the authenticity of militaria from those types of flea markets but that is not why I am here. I would like to know if I could possibly restore and clean this medal. Here you can see a comparison between my Cross compared to a more restored one. If someone could explain to me how one could restore a metal war decoration or atleast polish it a bit, thanks :milsmile:

My War Merit Cross front
War Merit Cross front.JPG
My War Merit Cross back
War Merit Cross back.JPG
A random War Merit Cross
War Merit Cross.jpg
War Merit Cross.jpg (201.7 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Nihil Impossibilis Est

matthew4108

Re: Clean and restore Militaria

Post by matthew4108 » 08 Apr 2017, 15:41

Your medal is made out of zinc while the second example is a tombak based specimen. Zinc by its very nature is a dull metal so any polishing it will be short lived at best. Furthermore- the cavities that are evident on your specimen are lost material and can not be brought back, at least not at the collectors, do it at home level. You can conserve it, making sure the aging process is drastically slowed down with a coat of vaseline or Renaissance Wax but complete restoration is unfortunately not possible.
BTW- the second medal pictured looks to be a good conditioned original piece rather than a restored one, at least to my untrained eye.

cheers

Matt

NewCollector

Post by NewCollector » 09 Apr 2017, 00:25

matthew4108 wrote:Your medal is made out of zinc while the second example is a tombak based specimen. Zinc by its very nature is a dull metal so any polishing it will be short lived at best. Furthermore- the cavities that are evident on your specimen are lost material and can not be brought back, at least not at the collectors, do it at home level. You can conserve it, making sure the aging process is drastically slowed down with a coat of vaseline or Renaissance Wax but complete restoration is unfortunately not possible.
BTW- the second medal pictured looks to be a good conditioned original piece rather than a restored one, at least to my untrained eye.

cheers

Matt
Yeah, after giving it some thought myself I realized that a complete restoration would be close to impossible. Atleast the swastika and the 1939 engraving is still intact so it is a bit aesthetically pleasing atleast. Thanks for taking your time to help a young fellow out, cheers :milsmile:
Nihil Impossibilis Est

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 10 Apr 2017, 13:36

Your's is a 2nd Class.... not 1st cl.
John G.

NewCollector

Post by NewCollector » 11 Apr 2017, 14:40

Thanks for the clarification! My knowledge in Merit Crosses is not the best.
Nihil Impossibilis Est

ignorixa

Post by ignorixa » 19 Apr 2017, 21:39

In my opinion, you should never try to clean/restore your awards. It kind of deletes its identity

Thomas
Greetings,
Thomas

NewCollector

Post by NewCollector » 29 Apr 2017, 15:31

To restore an award or not is a debated topic and I think it all just comes down to personal preference as well.
Nihil Impossibilis Est

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 31 Jul 2017, 11:20

I'm willing to clean awards by removing dirt, hair, fluff etc but that's all using an air duster and a very soft, old toothbrush.

Ian

Return to “Axis Awards”