The Kriegsmarine and the Sudetenland....

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Inspector Krogh

The Kriegsmarine and the Sudetenland....

Post by Inspector Krogh » 29 Oct 2017, 05:13

Hello Colleagues,
When Germany acquired the Sudetenland from Czechoslovakia in the autumn of 1938, a medal was instituted to commemorate the event.
This same medal was granted to those who participated in the occupation of Bohemia and Moravia the following spring. If one participated in both actions, a bar was added to the medal to indicate this.
There is abundant photographic evidence of this medal being worn by Kriegsmarine sailors (mostly in the form of a ribbon bar), as well as examples of award documents to sailors for these medals. I have seen neither proofs for the bar to any sailors.
Can any of you enlighten me as to what elements of the Kriegsmarine might have been doing during either of these events that would have made them eligible for these decorations?
Most of the award documents I have seen (they are somewhat scarce) were to men on capital ships.
The medal is titled: - Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938; It is commonly called the Sudeten Medal.
Thank you for any information that you may have. My searches have been fruitless.
Best Regards,
G.

Return to “Axis Awards”