Found a Nazi gold medal

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
WAR LORD

Re: Found a Nazi gold medal

Post by WAR LORD » 12 Jan 2018, 15:56

The 2nd class Bar, is an extremely nice example. Ians photography has been of the highest. Wish I could be as profetional. I only have one large complaint - he has not photoed my pieces. Christiopher

Max

Post by Max » 14 Jan 2018, 05:45

I have never been a fan of the "I'm right because I say so" school of thought,
BUT
what is evident from what you say, is that I probably lack experience in seeing enough actual pieces [as opposed to seeing mostly photographs] .
Photographs are all very well up to a point but there is nothing like eyeballing actual examples.
No doubt I will get better at this with more firsthand experience.
Thanks for your interest.
Cheers
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 14 Jan 2018, 13:03

Max wrote: what is evident from what you say, is that I probably lack experience in seeing enough actual pieces [as opposed to seeing mostly photographs]
Given the rarity of the 25 year Partei award and the price I'm afraid the photographs are the nearest most people ever get to them ... I was lucky, right place, right time AND I'd done my homework so knew immediately it was an original. Due diligence is absolutely critical. Study good photos of known originals.

Do a search ... there are none for sale on the internet at the moment. Not one.

Ian

alanlee

Post by alanlee » 07 Feb 2018, 06:57

Never seen, is this a military award ?

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 07 Feb 2018, 10:44

This is a long service cross of the NSDAP - thus a political award.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 07 Feb 2018, 12:26

There is now one for sale on the Ratisbon Auction site with bids starting at €3,000

Ian

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 31 Jul 2018, 20:56

The NSDAP had awarded Hitler a special pin... the "Eagle of Sovereignty" pin denoting the office of Fuhrer in the party.

Where is that pin today?
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 23 Aug 2018, 01:26

The 25year NSDAP Long Service was presented to both male and female party members, the difference in their awards indicated by the size of the ribbon as shown in this example prepared for a female party member.
NSDAP25JObvBox.jpg
NSDAP25JObvBox.jpg (93.08 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
It has been suggested in Third Reich award "reference" books from decades earlier that the female award of the NSDAP LS had a specially designed suspension and method of attachment. As the black and white photo provided by the author lacked sufficient clarity to even determine if the medal was original, it is possible that this example was a jeweler creation for a female recipient. The fact remains that the only difference in the male and female award according to the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP was the width and length of the ribbon.
angolia1.jpg
Source: Angolia, Für Führer und Fatherland

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 23 Aug 2018, 16:34

Interesting informative posting, thanks.
• American Patriot
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Oberleutnant Winter

Post by Oberleutnant Winter » 26 Sep 2018, 00:07

Horrid looking reproduction, tell your father “I’m sorry” if he wasted a lot of money on this.

Oberleutnant Winter

BGeorge

Post by BGeorge » 19 Sep 2020, 19:51

I see much discussion concerning the originals and the later replicas but their seems one obvious way to identify nearly all the replicas.
closuplettering.jpg
closuplettering.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
. The lettering in the originals always has this thin black outline missing from all the replicas I have seen and missing from the example that started this thread.

It is difficult to use the other criteria I see mentioned on this thread simply because the replica in question is very poor with very shallow impressions of the details just looking at the eagle shows a total lack of finesse. However many of the other replicas are of a better quality. Also I think the earlier 1939-41 examples of this medal were definitely of an higher finition than the later 42-44 ones althogh always significantly better than the example that started the thread!

The replica on this thread seems to be identical to a modern replica made in Spain being sold by several people in Spain for 16-20 euros a piece.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 20 Sep 2020, 00:51

In my opinion this is a reproduction. The strike is not period quality in any way.
• American Patriot

Return to “Axis Awards”