Wound badge for aircraft malfunction

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
keith A

Wound badge for aircraft malfunction

Post by keith A » 23 Jan 2018, 17:06

Would a pilot receive a wound badge if his aeroplane suffered an engine malfunction and he was injured in the crash landing? Would it matter if he was on a practice flight or an operational sorties?

regards

Keith

HPL2008

Re: Wound badge for aircraft malfunction

Post by HPL2008 » 25 Jan 2018, 23:21

No.

Wound Badges were not awarded for injuries suffered in mere accidents, even if these accidents took place during the course of combat actions.

They were awarded for wounds caused by the effects of enemy weapons and even German weapons (as in cases of "friendly fire").

keith A

Re: Wound badge for aircraft malfunction

Post by keith A » 09 Feb 2018, 22:58

Superb. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I am investigating a crash by a JG2 pilot who had "engine failure" according to the JG2 record, but was awarded a wound badge(Bürel , Josef. Uffz, I/JG2 24 August 1942). JG2 has a high incidence of such failures, many of which follow missions opposing allied formations. I wondered if this unit, who have a questionable record (impressive but occasionally debatable) of claims, were covering for damage sustained in combat with their opponents in an effort to skew their results. I appreciate the damage to their aircraft required replacement equipment but perhaps claiming malfunction was an effort to deflect criticism of tactics/leadership.

Return to “Axis Awards”