Safe Storage/Display of Militaria

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Neill

Safe Storage/Display of Militaria

Post by Neill » 30 Sep 2018, 14:00

Hi

I only recently started collecting WW2 militaria. I've acquired a few British cap badges, Luftwaffe dog tags, a NSDAP flag and a few other bits and pieces. I've read that you need to be careful if you are handling medals and flags and should wear those white cotton gloves that curators wear. I'm also unsure of how to display them (especially the flag which I don't want to get damaged by sunlight etc). I haven't even taken any of the stuff I've bought out of the packaging it was sent in for fear of damaging things by mishandling them ☹

Just wanted to know if I'm being a bit over the top about them because I want to have a good look at what I've bought and to also display it safely. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Safe Storage/Display of Militaria

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 01 Oct 2018, 21:09

Good questions, the flag, just fold it up and set it on a shelf away from any sun. As for the medals, eh, NO to the white gloves nonsense,at least in your home.. The stuff are not priceless Dead Sea scrolls, Now, you will go to militaria-gun shows, and some dealers will do the * put these gloves on*when it is a P-08, etc I see their point as to grubby hand oils getting on their stuff, but sometimes these guys are so full of themselves you do not want to buy their reloics anyhow,bahahhaha..If you want to displaty in yo house, consider buying a case or two of different sized Ryker Mounts, of anyhow little plastic sleeves,or plastic show frames, ( all of whixch can be foubnd at places such as Hobby Lobby, Staples, etc Ryker Mounts can be ordered from many differtent www companies, I have bought in the past from several different www,sites.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 01 Oct 2018, 22:53

I generally agree with what Mark wrote....I would wear the white gloves when handling medals, badges, daggers, and the like. Ryker mounts or appropriate display cases are the only way to display smalls, once in place you won't need to over handle them. Most stuff was made to accept hard handling, so they usually are no worst for wear from normal handling. The stuff isn't the dead sea scrolls.....as Mark correctly said.
Ok
Good luck and enjoy..... I've collected since 1958, and used to play army with the stuff. Wouldn't do that now of course. To me, the greatest collectible, historical items, and investment there is!
John G.

Neill

Post by Neill » 07 Oct 2018, 18:32

Thanks for the helpful advice. Can I use those vinyl gloves you can get for household chores and use them for handling any medals, paper or cloth items I've bought? I'm going to get acid free tissue paper for storing the flag with in a cardboard box.Any help is much appreciated.

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 08 Oct 2018, 11:33

The plastic envolopes are not to be used. They will cause all sorts of problems particularly with zinc based awards. Pine wood and oak should be avoided as they have resin that gives of gas that can cause problems.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 19 Oct 2018, 00:58

WAR LORD....kind of disagree with you on both points, but yeah, some medals are best not put in plastic bags-envelopes I disagree with you though on the pine wood-oak semi rant.unless you mean raw just cut wood,lumber stock

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 19 Oct 2018, 18:56

Marc your thought is well founded. However, I did a "How to preserve" article. This was done by the British Museum. I would be happy to post this but it is in my Book. Wood is very suspect as is the glue. The use of Pine - Oak is not the way forward. The platic polumers have a very seriouse effect particularly on Zinck produced pieces. Particularly loss of colour. You can find using the plastic envolopes that the color is absobered by the envelope.

A coluge only today said why did I not have a dehumidifier running with my collection, he said he had one running constantly due to the ZINCK BASED AWARDS.

Return to “Axis Awards”