Knight's Cross with Oakleaves, Swords, Diamonds

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Jeremy Dixon

Knight's Cross with Oakleaves, Swords, Diamonds

Post by Jeremy Dixon » 06 Oct 2018, 23:17

I hope this is the correct section. I have a question about the actual date of which the awards of the Oakleaves, Swords and Diamonds were instituted by Hitler.

Oakleaves was officially instituted by Hitler [Reichsgesetzblatt] on 03.06.1940 = 1st recipient awarded on 19.07.1940
Swords was officially instituted by Hitler [Reichsgesetzblatt] on 21.06.1941 = 1st recipient awarded on 21.06.1941
Diamonds was officially instituted by Hitler [Reichsgesetzblatt] on 28.09.1941 = 1st recipient awarded on 15.07.1941

Can someone explain how the Diamonds award could be awarded before it was officially instituted ? I've checked the dates and two books I have and all the websites state the date on institution for the Diamonds was 28.09.1941.

Thanks

Sejanus

Re: Knight's Cross with Oakleaves, Swords, Diamonds

Post by Sejanus » 07 Oct 2018, 14:17

Regarding the Diamonds:

When out of curiosity I went to look up Reichsgesetzblatt I S. 613 of 28.09.41 that several websites identify (correctly?) as the regulation that instituted the Diamonds, the corresponding 1941 Reichsgesetzblatt content list for this regulation reads „Zweite Verordnung zur Änderung der Verordnung über die Erneuerung des Eisernen Kreuzes" (Second Regulation amending the Regulation on the renewal of the Iron Cross).

This would seem to indicate that there was a First Regulation at some point which was replaced and/or modified by the Second Regulation; this may account for the earlier award date if the Diamonds were awarded to Werner Mölders (first and only recipient of the Diamonds in 1941) in accordance with the earlier regulation, prior to it being updated by the Second Regulation. This is only speculation on my part. However, my reference books are packed away after a move and I have not located the First Regulation on line to check it.

Perhaps someone else here knows?

The 1941 Reichsgesetzblatt content list is located here:

http://alex.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/alex? ... =3&size=45

And the Second Regulation itself is located here (two pages in length, first page):

http://alex.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/alex? ... 41&size=45

Second Regulation, second page:

http://alex.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/alex? ... 42&size=45

Please note that I am not used to reading Fraktur font, and I will not be able to take a crack at reading the Second Regulation until later on. In the meantime if you can read it (or if somebody else here can) perhaps more info will be revealed? I do see that it does mention Diamonds...

Hope this helps. If I can find anything else later I will post it here.
Last edited by Sejanus on 07 Oct 2018, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Dixon

Post by Jeremy Dixon » 07 Oct 2018, 14:41

Thank you

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 08 Oct 2018, 22:15

Diamonds update: I had a chance to review some additional primary sources in the Reichsgesetzblatt. And what I called the "First Regulation" in my original message turned out not to be applicable to the Diamonds award. So my speculation was not correct and the Diamonds were indeed instituted on 28.9.1941 and not changed or modified beforehand (according to the Reichsgesetzblatt, that is).

Could the earlier date of Werner Mölders' Diamonds award on 15.7.1941 be explained by it having been made retroactively? I checked and this is not the case either. According to an article in the Frankfurter Zeitung (Frankfurt a.M.) dated 17.7.1941, Mölders was indeed awarded his Diamonds by Hitler on 15.7.1941, according to the text of a message Hitler sent to Mölders that is included in the article. The article is located at the following link (click on the JPEG for 00005 on the list, site will not allow a direct link to it):

http://webopac.hwwa.de/PresseMappe20E/D ... id=P012342

So somehow the Diamonds award did exist prior to being codified in the Reichsgesetzblatt. Given the German thoroughness with record keeping there must be additional documentation somewhere to explain how that happened. It is interesting digging through old source materials like this so if anyone has any ideas besides the Reichsgesetzblatt that may contain further information please post it. Thanks!

matthew4108

Post by matthew4108 » 15 Oct 2018, 21:54

I wouldn't get too excited with any single one of the period documents, even something as 'high up there' as Reichsgesetzblatt. Like everything else, pre and post 1945, it also contains announcements that are for whatever reason, factually wrong.
While I realize that there are those that are literally making careers in this hobby based on premise of 'it's there in the period sources, don't you dare to question it', those sources can and sometimes are wrong. And no, we're not talking 'one of' mistakes either.
Since your initial question had to do with higher grades of Knights Cross, look up the original announcement in RGB from September 1939. Particularly the announcement of the Grand Cross, scroll down to its description and see what color the cross is described to be made in. Surprised? I know I was

Return to “Axis Awards”