How do you identify a real and a fake?

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Lifelooking

How do you identify a real and a fake?

Post by Lifelooking » 20 Jan 2019 00:12

Hey all. Brand new at collecting. picked up a couple of pieces just coins.

However, I have no idea about any of this. On a credible auction site I found Himmler insignia collar patches for sale. Being sold as "Himmlers" I was quickly told it is a fake and not real and did not belong to Himmler. I am curious, how do you know? How to tell the diffrence? Is there some kind of flow chart you can follow to tell you if real or fake.... Apparently its fake due to the RZM number? So what RZM number would be Himmlers if it was his?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: How do you identify a real and a fake?

Post by John G. » 20 Jan 2019 03:13

Any auction site that is offering these as original is not "reputable", these are very obvious fakes.

There's no easy way to tell without years of study and research.... avoid SS stuff especially until you know the difference yourself. The RZM Tag is a obvious fake also..... shouldn't fool anyone!

No simple answers unfortunately.
John G.

Lifelooking

Post by Lifelooking » 20 Jan 2019 04:06

Can you explain the whole RZM tag thing?

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 20 Jan 2019 14:14

Again, no easy explanation on RZM tags, it takes study and seeing known originals, knowing the codes on them, and which is correct for the item. Also the printing, paper, etc. are keys to telling if the tag is real.
Many items have lost their tags, and some never had one... and a real tag can be put into a fake insignia.

Invest in some reference books and search for reference websites.... there are some out there.
We'll help when we can.... But you need to learn this basic stuff yourself if your serious about collecting.
John G.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 21 Jan 2019 03:17

These tags were printed using a printing press during the TR era.. NOT copied, and all the lines,letters logos are sharp ..and solid. And the 6 digit a n dthe other numbers wer stamped on after the fact

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 21 Jan 2019 03:20

So lets play this game,, Guess the auction house Himmlers tabs were offered. I'll go first.. Affiliated? or the one in Orange County, Cali? or any that are on ProxiBid web site? Bahahah or Gunbroker crap site? Or any of the auction houses out of Florida?...

Return to “Axis Awards”