SS-ZA Abzeichen

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Wehrwirts1

SS-ZA Abzeichen

Post by Wehrwirts1 » 18 Aug 2019 22:38

Hi all,
I recently acquired this beautiful piece, courtesy of an extremely knowledgeable friend of mine who has an incredible collection.

It may be small, but it certainly packs a punch.

For those unfamiliar with this award, don’t overlook this little beauty if you come across one, just because it’s small! These little abzeichen are extremely rare. At least, Real ones are Extremely Rare.

But be careful, there are plenty of fakes out there to fool the unwary and separate them from their money.

It’s an SS Zivilabzeichen, and this particular example has serial number #107123.

Quote from Wikipedia:
“Translated as "SS Civil Badge", the SS Zivilabzeichen was a small lapel pin worn on civilian clothing to denote membership in the SS. The badge was most commonly awarded to members of the Sicherheitspolizei who were veteran SS members. There appears to have been no set criteria for the SS-Z.A.'s issuance, and an SS member had only to apply to the SS-Hauptamt in order to receive the civil badge.”

This description is in general correct, but leaves out some important facts. For example, This award would have been recorded in the list of an SS’s man’s pertinent details, such as awards of rank, and other honors bestowed, such as the SS Honor Ring, or the Dagger.

I won’t mention the distinguishing characteristics of a real one - instead, if you have one you are wondering about, compare it to this one, and check the details. Look closely.
I hope you guys who have never seen one of these enjoy this cool little rarity!
John

First, here is Walther Darré wearing his.
69EEFC06-4945-491D-B9F4-C8C0C8D9ADF7.jpeg
Here are photos of the one I acquired:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: SS-ZA Abzeichen

Post by John G. » 19 Aug 2019 04:44

Certainly a great addition to any serious collector... Not really that rare but can be very pricey. Heavily reproduced so be careful to those seeking one. SS stuff does have a unique attraction.... even a very small stick pin. Nice addition!
John G.

Wehrwirts1

Re: SS-ZA Abzeichen

Post by Wehrwirts1 » 19 Aug 2019 12:14

John,
I think you may be right. The dealers will tell you ‘extremely rare,’ but maybe a better way to put it is ‘very hard to find if real,’ because there Are so many fakes out there.
Thanks John G.!

John

Return to “Axis Awards”