Adding repros to display?

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
KaiserMcGregor

Adding repros to display?

Post by KaiserMcGregor » 18 Oct 2019 10:35

I'm curious on whether a repro really counts as militaria and whether I should display it. I got a Kriegsverdienstkreuz and it looks really nice next to my repro EKII but does a repro count as militaria? Would love to hear you guys' thoughts on this. Cheers, Der Kaiser

WAR LORD

Re: Adding repros to display?

Post by WAR LORD » 18 Oct 2019 14:40

Reproductions are quite acceptable, there are many rare pieces that would be totally out of reach either by cost or availability. For example Hancocks the Jewlers who produce the Victoria Cross are currently making reproductions of the Cross and these are selling for £450.00.Originals are going from £100,000.00 to £350000.00. Souval copys of the German Order are collectors items in their own right and can be priced from £1500.00 to £2000.00.

KaiserMcGregor

Post by KaiserMcGregor » 18 Oct 2019 16:13

Yeah I guess you're right. Though are German and British medals which are reproduced supposed to be allowed by the government? Cause stolen valour and all... I am not clear on the legality of this. Cheers, Der Kaiser

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 18 Oct 2019 18:41

Your question is a confused point. :- reproduction do not cross the line with the Awards to recipients. Many museums show copys of artifacts they have in store. Sometimes it is better to have the original in a climate conserved inviroment. Sometimes a rebuild of the object gives the viewer a better understanding of the piece.

The problem is when : - corrupt individuals try to sell "Fakes" as originals. This happens in all walks of Antiquity, also from time in memorial. Pinny gives comment on the Barbarians who are faking bronzes this was in BC 200, give a day or two.

on the orther hand fakes or copys can be worth more than the original. I can give illistrations of this.

Thus buy from accredited soarces.

matthew4108

Post by matthew4108 » 19 Oct 2019 13:37

Buying from reputable sources seem like a good advice.
Stay away from thieves who wear the masks of dealers or authorities, especially in this hobby. Their reputations are usually well deserved and they will either try and sell you a fake or try and screw you on paying for your artifacts when selling to them without blinking an eye.

I can give illustrations of this.

But to answer your question- a fake is a fake. To you, they might be a representative example of what an original would look like but once it leaves your hands, it once again gets degraded to only being a fake, no matter how good or what sentimental value it might have to you. Having some in your 'box of mistakes' is one thing but knowingly buying fakes is a waste of resources, IMO.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 19 Oct 2019 21:22

agreed,, i FAKE IS A FAKE, REPORO, AND DOES mnot BERLONMG IN ANY LEGIT GROUPING OR COLLECTION, and anyone(dealer who says it is ok is not cool, in my book. aND THE PISSASSERY *FAKES ARE OK AS A FILLER* IS bs AS WELL, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A EXACT ITEM, WHY ADD A FAKE? JUST STARET SEARCHING FOR A REAL ONE

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 20 Oct 2019 12:31

Well I AS THEY SAY IN THE TRADE, "HEAR WHAT YOU SAY". However many National Institutions show "Copys" or as you say "Fakes" in their exibitions. I site but two, the RAF Museum in Hendon, have a number, but their most presdidious is the Hermann Goering display. This was produced by Andrew Mollow for them and forms the back drop for the awards presented at his feet. Everything on the figure are copys. The Royal Navy Submarien Musseum in Plymouth, soon to be relocated in Scotland has a copy VC on display, with write up about a Sub Marriner winner, this has be so for the last 15 years or so, I know this for fact as the VC is mine and on loan. The British Museum, possibly one of the most revered organisations has a number of Reproductions on show, notably coins. They have also produced collector specimins. The Royal Mint have produced restrikes of the Thomas Simon Pettion Crown of Charles Second" and his "Cromwell" crown. The latter is more expensive than the original. They have also produced restrikes of War Medals, I was lucky enough to get a few, the Waterloo Medal being of great interest. As my G,G, Grandfather was at the battle. His medal long gone in the mists of time, but I was able to have this engraved with his name and regiment. One could call it a "Space Filler" but as his relative GG Grandson quite legitimate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 20 Oct 2019 13:05

The Naming
First name(s)
John
Last name
Ailsby
Year
Rank
Private
Regiment
10th Royal Regiment of Hussars
Sub unit
Captain John Garwood's Troop No.1.
Medal type
Waterloo Medal, 1815

As part of the 6th Cavalry Brigade, the regiment charged the French cavalry and infantry at the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815

Some of the other medals
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KaiserMcGregor

Post by KaiserMcGregor » 20 Oct 2019 14:43

That is incredibly interesting. Thanks for sharing with us mate. Cheers, Der Kaiser

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 20 Oct 2019 22:37

A reproduction of certain one of a kind items for museum purposes or for someone's personal collection is certainly ok depending on individual or institutional choice. Reproductions of easily obtained items (like Iron Cross 2nd class awards), are of no legitimate collector value and devalue any others original items in ones collection. A nice quality repro. Knights Cross for display on a uniform is one thing, a repro. Wound badge is a little different.

I've seriously collected for over 60 years, the only reproductions I have are a few for my uniform manicans...like a repro. Knights Cross and German Cross since I can't afford two of examples of real one.... My pockets aren't that deep.

It's individual choice.... But repros. are repros., A repro. Of a VC is different that a run of the mill badge or medal
The danger is when they are resold as originals. To me, generally speaking, reproductions are a waste of time, space, and money.... Buy real stuff... They will always be worth something.... A much better investment and a real piece of history.
John G.

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 21 Oct 2019 11:28

I have to say I do not agree with your thoughts that a reproduction in your collection devalues the other pieces. Quality Reproductions have a value in themselves. I site early Souval pieces. These are collected in their own right. In the art world the famous or should we say infermouse Forger Keating, fooled the art world experts, jaided. Now his works are much sort after and believe it or not making more in some cases than the original he copied or should we say impersonated. However I do agree with your thoughts on common items : - little point in making these. Little point in buying them when you can obtain the original easily".

BUT A VERY BIG BUT, there is a difference in fabricating a piece with the intent to defraud. This is criminal.

A piece for your thoughts

Return to “Axis Awards”