Commemorative Boating Coin

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
rdb3

Commemorative Boating Coin

Post by rdb3 » 25 Dec 2019 05:22

Hi All,

My dad picked up a few items at a flea market in Spain, all of which I suspect are fake. (Note that I'm a Novice here, at best...)

Thought I would post them here anyway to get your thoughts and learn a thing or two.

I'll start with this piece, which looks like some sort of commemorative coin for maybe a boating competition from July 1935?

Seems like a pretty obscure thing to fake...

Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-rdb3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HPL2008

Re: Commemorative Boating Coin

Post by HPL2008 » 25 Dec 2019 14:04

It's an alleged presentation piece to the winner of a folding boat Olympic qualification competition, but it's a one-looker fake. "Essener" is bizarrely spelled as "E55ener" and that lake is actually called Baldeneysee (not Baideney-See).

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.
Host - For sale section

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 25 Dec 2019 15:46

HPL2008 wrote:
25 Dec 2019 14:04
It's an alleged presentation piece to the winner of a folding boat Olympic qualification competition, but it's a one-looker fake. "Essener" is bizarrely spelled as "E55ener" and that lake is actually called Baldeneysee (not Baideney-See).
Agreed.. This is a prime example of knowing the language-terms of word usage,spelling when catching out fakes and fantasy relics.
Ata militaria show some years ago a guy had a collection of WW2 *Pilots chits** those worn on the back of jackets, and in the group was a couple so called China-Burma-India chits with of things..50 star flags on the patch!!!!!!!!! He had forgot that in ww2 there was NO 50 star flags in usage.bahahahaha

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 25 Dec 2019 16:35

Also the date is wrong as the competition was held only a few weeks before the main event. Not quite sure about the lake spelling being wrong at the time.
The medal (not this example) should be real, as one of the winners Xaver Hörmann (olympic bronze winner) was presented with one according to his family. https://www-augsburger--allgemeine-de.c ... 1AQCKAE%3D#

Waleed

rdb3

Post by rdb3 » 26 Dec 2019 03:34

Thanks, all.

Not sure if this one in the below link is real or not, but it looks completely different, and I believe Baldeney is spelled correctly.

https://www.emedals.com/a-1936-baldeney ... tory-medal

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 26 Dec 2019 11:09

Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:
25 Dec 2019 16:35
Also the date is wrong as the competition was held only a few weeks before the main event. Not quite sure about the lake spelling being wrong at the time.
Just to avoid confusion: This is not about the hyphenated vs. non-hyphenated spelling variants. Please re-read my post: They wrote Baideney... instead of Baldeney... Which is definitely wrong and just the kind of stupid error routinely made by fakers who are unfamiliar with the language/terminology and/or who are working from poor-quality photographs of originals.
(By the way, the same goes for the year on the medal: "1935" instead of "1936". If you look at the piece on eMedals, you can see how the "angular" style of the font can lead to the "6" being misread as a "5" by a careless observer or when viewing a low-res photograph.)

The Baldeneysee is an artificial lake created in 1931- 1933. It was named after the nearby Schloss Baldeney, which is located at its northern shore.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldeneysee
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss_Baldeney

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 26 Dec 2019 11:47

Sorry for the confusion HPL2008, you are right. I should have explained it was not the “i/l” in the name I meant but the hyphernation. It does look fake compared to many others on the net (not saying they all are the real deal). Take the reverse with the portrait. His “fat” cheek looks more like a “Hindenburg” moustache ;)

Waleed

Return to “Axis Awards”